It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't you take pride in what you post?!?!?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

I feel the same as you. Shame because I enjoy your threads. I have a couple that I've been working on, but for the same reason as you, have stopped working on them. I can't bear the trolls anymore. I don't mind if somebody disagrees with me . But if the only reason they have is "because I say so" then that just doesn't cut it.
edit on 1/25/2012 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
people that throw glass houses should not live in stones.. no wait...

cheese with that wine.. no.. um... beating a dead horse.

anyway. here's your star op

gabba gabba hey

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I can't say I have a lot of respect for members who really don't have anything to start threads about except rants of bitching..and whining..

Like that is supposed to be some great thread?..and it gets how many stars?

Some people only know how to bitch, and attack others.. make rants, and expect some highly developed threads form other members.

How about you start a thread with some very good researched information Mblah..instead of rants and bitching... or threads on recipes..or shoes.

Give us a little of what you so desperately say is lacking here. !!!! ...and please not a thread on what we hate to be touched..

edit on 25-1-2012 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
and misleading tittles are the worse!

sometimes makes me want to go in there and troll
but I haven't done that yet

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I keep my Nobel Prize in Literature material for works under my own name thank you. Can't tell you how many times I've been ripped off for content online in forums and blogs, and it has been at my expense even unto the millions of dollars. Talk is cheap and so are most of my posts on any public conspiracy forum for that reason. I care enough to abide by rules as best I can remember, but if the inspiration strikes me to be flippant, I get flippant.

So no, I don't take pride in it. I don't stick to the highest models of writing online. Frankly that would take too much of my lifetime; I'd probably crank out 1 and a half responses in that much time, being hyper perfect, but it's more fun to throw out 20 rag-quality leaflets of communication to the world.

This is entertainment to me to send out ideas that are cheap and abundant. I keep the gold at home, and freely scatter the iron pyrite to strangers.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
i agree with this thread completely, and i would like to add that i feel that the stars and flag system, although nice is hurting more than helping and that people are just posting for stars and flags.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
great post, needed to be said!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Thanks mate, it gets like that though I mean I don't mind if people disagree, that's their right and is totally fine by me although the trolling is what gets to me. Comments such as 'new age garbage' etc spring to mind. Also I find that certain members make it their personal mission to discredit certain topics, not allowing likeminded individuals to discuss what they're interested in, basically because they are thoroughly ridiculed for thinking outside of the box in a sense. I mean a lot of my dissatisfaction comes from the fact that people jump on that bandwagon and become very closed minded when it comes to revolutionary ideas such as reincarnation or a spiritual evolution taking place on earth.

What is the point of ATS if we cannot discuss things that we cannot discuss elsewhere, I mean I came here because I liked the fact that ideas such as ET's, Illuminati, NWO etc etc are discussed openly without people coming in and basically spouting the status quo. I find this more and more and it's really depressing.

I have one thread I really want to make on reincarnation actually, LOADS of good data and totally comprehensive in my books although I can just feel the comments now....and they ain't pretty. I'm all up for discussion, but I'm not up for having my research and theories be immaturely scoffed and me made out to be some weirdo because I believe in higher dimensions and life after death (I have had a NDE so I feel that I can talk some of these things with conviction). Maybe if the general tone of the trolling is toned down then people will feel more inclined to make great, comprehensive pieces of work for the ATS community. At the moment the community seems to openly shut down a lot of the ideas coming from this direction, so I don't feel it is an environment that deserves as much effort as is needed to present a lot of these ideas. This is why I just can't do it, not unless the trolling fades a bit.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMGabriel
great post, needed to be said!

You 1 day of having to put up with it all must have been unbearable!!

Certainly a lot of energy wasted on this website. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
The thing I notice about this site is that when politics is on the front burner, there seems to be a lot less UFO activity int he skies of the world, and almost no alien sightings. Then after the elections, alien abductions seem to spike.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
People take no pride in their grammar or spelling, why would they take pride in the content of their posts?

Ignorance is rampant on this site - there's no denying it.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
personally, I don't give a crap about stars or flags.
Probably because I'm still new enough I don't quite understand where they get you.
Alot of times I enjoy making simple comments to give the OP kudos and I don't see anything wrong with that. just being sociable?
BUT it does appear that there are alot of the 'younger' generation appearing on here in mass lately. They tend to just want attention, stars, flags, and from their writings they appear to be the ones posting without searching. I believe they are the ones trolling for attention, picking fights, etc. They do not understand what this site was designed for, or it's history.
maybe I'm wrong.
maybe not.
Personally I really enjoy threads that involve reading the whole darn lengthy original post which obviously the OP put tons of time and research into, following the links, stimulating the reader to do their own research. Stimulating the mind. that is what this site was originally designed for.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I have come to realise there are a few topics to avoid if yiou dont want to get involved in useless bickering with nothing to back it up except misplaced pride and nationalism.

War threads - Inevitably you get, USA USA USA, VS America is evil, this brings out the worst in ATS I have found. It seems there are alot of people on ATS that are here solely for the purpose of proclaiming the oh so great and infallible war machine which is the USA. I cant blame the america haters because like everything else in the world these pocket patriots consider ATS as their property and how dare you disagree with us. You should be burned at the stake. You also then get the muslims are evil and should be wiped off the map crowd. The ignorance here is astonishing, these people make crazy statements without ever even reading a passage about the Muslim faith.

Then obviously the religion threads, everyone has their right to their opinion and beliefs but please if you want to preach go get a soapbox and stand in a corner. Keep in mind that some people have not been raised in your belief system and may have an equally strong belief that their religion is only true religion out there.

Sometimes I guess people just dont have any self respect when I see their threads, I presume they are the same people who speak without thinking first.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

It was exactly the kind of thread you were describing...hence why it was removed...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

What do you have against huge cloaked ships? Damn, if there is one it definetly deserves to get the attention

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
gr8 thread op s an f

2nd line

.........ok, I can't make myself hit the reply button and complete the joke. Probably wouldn't be all that funny anyway.

I agree with you about the one-liner responses, they are ubiquitous. I haven't been coming to ATS long enough to know if they are proliferating like you said, but what can be done to stop it? The mods can't possibly keep on top of everything all the time, there's just too much activity. And unfortunately, the "text message" or "tweet" mentality of "160 characters max" (or whatever the number is, I am not a twithead) has had an impact on the idea of what constitutes a good post, or email, or whatever.

As for the people who post threads with a link or a youtube video and nothing else, no accompanying thoughts or what they liked or didn't like in the source, well.....I agree that I don't like it, and rarely will I take the time to watch the video or read the source material if the OP didn't even try. However, I have always sorta equated that whole thing with email forwards. We all have some people who are real life friends or family or whatever that have sent us thousands of emails in the course of time, none of which contain a single word of original content. Telling these people to PLEASE STOP SENDING ME FORWARDS has never worked, in my experience. I explain to them that I really don't want forwarded stuff, but I'd be happy to read any email they sent that actually contained some actual authentic original words. They usually shrug and grin sheepishly and promise to stop sending me forwards...and two days later I get three more from that same person. It's like, they want to communicate, but have nothing to say, so they try to communicate by proxy. I dunno.

On the other hand...

I have posted one thread on ATS. I had wanted to contribute somehow but I had doubted there was anything that I might come up with that hadn't been previously posted...but one day an idea occurred to me, and I checked it as thoroughly as I could in the ATS "search" function and didn't get any hits. So, I spent weeks on and off doing research and reading and collecting images. Then, I spent many days writing it in Notepad, checking all my bbcode, editing and uploading images and so on. When I finally clicked the "New Thread" button and went to copy/paste the text from Notepad, I was astounded to realize that the "character limit" applied to new thread posts and not just 'response' posts. It ended up taking four consecutive posts including the OP to get everything I had written in Notepad onto ATS, and having to do it that way sucked, because it was kind of circumventing the rules.
Having a limit for responses is understandable, I suppose, and I am aware that acclaim accumulation can increase the limit. But it doesn't stop someone from posting a huge amount of text, as they can just post it in 5,000 character chunks, one after the other, as I ended up doing with my thread....and anyway it seems like they have a problem with exceedingly short posts, not the other way around!!

I haven't bothered to work on another thread after that. Maybe I will eventually, I don't know. The wind sorta went out of my sails when I figured out that ATS doesn't really want more than 5,000 characters from me.

Speaking of that character limit, the countdown for this post is about to drop to 3 digits, which is my cue to wrap it up. As others have said....thanks for lettin' me rant a bit in your rant!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I also can't stand reading all the one liners that contribute ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!

Now that's something I can agree with!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Imagine a huge veranda full mainly of rednecks who's ideas about the world come from 80s Hollywood movies. There are also a couple of scientists but they are in a crappy mood and think they are better than everyone else. Then there are a couple of wannabe shaman who are preaching to people and sprinkling glitter on them but not listening.

I take the same amount of pride in how I present myself here as I would take if I walked onto that veranda, not much! In fact I'd probably have to get massively drunk first.

It's hard to have respect for this place. There are definitely some really interesting threads and some really decent interesting people, but finding them is so hard amongst so much noise and ego.

Even some of the most popular members who have been here longest seem to want to turn every conversation into shooting someone in the face or 'them commie chineseses'. Or you get the arrogant, infallible closed-minded science/engineering types who try to talk down to people, then you get the wishy-washy supreme beings of the spirit realm who won't use any logic at all in their reasoning...

I admit I've made a couple of posts recently that some might see as trolling. I've never gone into a thread thinking 'lets mess up this discussion' and my posts I'm referring to have been ignored so no real harm done. It's just that people act so stupid on here and the frustration boils over and I try to draw attention to the way they are behaving. Obviously it doesn't work with the stupid people because they will never 'get it' and I just end up making myself look stupid.

I try to hold back from posting because it rarely seems worth it although I do give out loads of stars - I suppose that's all it can be for me, some kind of crappy X-Factor of the internet where all I can do is vote for the people who I almost agree with.

I've got a mini-hypothesis that the emoticons make it a lot worse. They are evil they all look mocking or arrogant! Check it out:

< mocking, laughing at you, not with you
< superior, I'm better than you
< I'm cool but not in a Fonzie way, in an F-you kind of a way
< goes without saying

These are nice enough (but rarely get used):

And to the posters having a go at someone for ranting in a rant section?
(see what I mean?)

Sorry for my long rant in your rant

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

I just post whatever I feel like in that moment, I don't really care what people think about me on the internet or in real life. That's just how I am.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
Unfortunately ATS has become a victim of its own success, all the good subjects have been done to death and no new members search for anything. Maybe having a page with a list of the top 100 threads of the last few years would help. I have posted similar to this before it's a mix of forum fatigue and dilution of quality members. A solution could be a premium version of ATS with a small subscription, that would in hindsight separate the wheat from the chaff

I'd SO pay for ATS. I pay for 3 sites online, one is now moving to Google+ and it's free, but I dont like Google! I have to use it though but I will save money. Point is I dont mind paying for sites esp if they give you less of the annoying so to speak. I was just telling my fiancee I'd pay for ATS and wish it was paid at times lol.

A top 100 list would be good! They have them in each forum where you can search by flag or reply. I like the idea of one page of the top 100, bet I wouldn't get bored on that page lol.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join