It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft names ex-antivirus employee as botnet 'suspect'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Microsoft said it suspects a former employee of an antivirus software firm was behind the Kelihos botnet attacks.

Russian citizen Andrey Sabelnikov "wrote and/or participated in creating" the harmful software which infected thousands of machines, Microsoft said.

Kelihos was used for sending out spam and spreading malware until it was "neutralised" in September 2011.

Microsoft said Mr Sabelnikov is currently working on a freelance basis with a software development and consulting firm.

Prior to this, Mr Sabelnikov is said to have worked as a software engineer and project manager at "a company that provided firewall, antivirus and security software".

Microsoft did not name the company - however Mr Sabelnikov's LinkedIn profile lists St Petersburg-based antivirus firm Agnitum among Mr Sabelnikov's former employers.

Agnitum's sales and marketing director Vitaliy Yanko told the BBC: "I have checked the info and may confirm that Andrey Sabelnikov worked at Agnitum from 2005 till 2008.

"Afterwards our ways parted. Seems that he chose the wrong route afterwards."

Source

There have always been rumors and suspicions about anti-virus software manufactures producing malware and virus's themselves. Who better to make the the malicious software than the people who fully understand all the vulnerabilities and how to avoid being detected.

The formula is simple, create a nasty infection that spreads worldwide and then after a while be the only person or company who knows how to get rid of it. Create the problem - provide the solution - get rich.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I name Apples Siri as the future skynet suspect!

On topic, figures.....

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Create the problem - provide the solution - get rich.

Thats the most lucrative business model in the 21st century, governments do it, banks do it and cooperations do it. I seriously should reconsider my business model aswell if I want to compete in the game.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I used to work for Dr Solomon's before they sold their soul to McAfee and I can tell you now, that the only thing they did in the labs was find solutions for virus issues as soon as data was available. The only thing they created other than DAT updates and the like was extra work for me whenever they screwed up their computers...which they did a lot. lol

Sometimes, there isn't a conspiracy...and I think some of us have forgotten that.

Rev

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

If a n anti-virus manufacture was going to create their own virus i doubt very much they would have a room in the same building labeled "clandestine virus production room". It would kind of be a dead give away. Also i doubt every anti-virus software producers do it , but im sure that more an a few do.

It certainly seems in this case that Microsoft are certain there has been fowl play.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

My point was that sometimes (or maybe even most of the time) there is no conspiracy and by looking so hard for one we start to lose our objectivity.

Rev

top topics

join