It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pope's Advice for ATS (and others)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Well, I don't really know how to respond to this. In my experience, the denominations that mimic the Roman Catholic use the same hymns, the same mythology, the same supernatural atmosphere, the same symbolism. At the end of the day, the people are eating little wheat/water wafers and drinking a sip of a beverage that is derived from grapes, and imagining that it has been 'transsubstantiated' or whatever, into flesh and blood.

It is a pagan ritual devised to satisfy the blood-lust and gory myth of consuming the Christ himself. If only those members of the congregation could say, 'Well, of course i realize it's nothing more than a tasteless chip of edible wheat/water! It isn't the flesh of a long-dead man, nor it this beverage really his literal blood....it is symbolism!". SYMBOLISM, that the priests act out in a wonderful, awe-inspiring ritual, performed every time in the same exact way.....
with music, low lights, bowed heads, fancy robes, incense (sometimes), solemnity....I've watched them 'prepare' the Host for countless Sundays. They are still just wafers....that the priest holds up in a bowl or plate toward the sky and waves his hands over.
When the congregation members get to the rail in front of the altar, they hold out their cupped hands (or alternately open their mouths) to receive it....but it is still nothing more than what it is: a wafer that the church purchased. I looked up yesterday the 'recipe' for the Host....there are coupons available for church purchasing agents, btw.

edit on 26-1-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Dear wildtimes,

I'm afarid there is a little confusion between us, and I really don't want there to be. May I try to summarize this as I see it so far?

I originally saw something about the value of silence in a speech from the Pope. I thought ATSers would find it interesting. I posted it and got positive responses, until lonewolf19792000's.

Lonewolf said, basically, "I don't care what the Pope says, he's completely evil and for proof they turn bread and wine into God's flesh and blood then they eat it. Isn't that terrible?"

My response was "If they can really do that, then they're doing miracles and should be respected for it." I think lonewolf has to either take back his original comment, or confess to the Church doing miraculous things. I'll wait to see which he chooses.

This may sound cowardly, but I wasn't really expecting a discussion on transubstantiation. That's a topic that has divided Christian denominations, and left non-Christians scratching their heads. I understand your position and most of the world, most of the Christian world even, shares your belief. It may be that this is an "agree to disagree" issue.

With respect,
charles1952

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Okee doke!
Thanks for the clarification!
cheers, charles 1952

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by apsalmist
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Why do you call communion blasphamy when it is Jesus who commands us to do it?

Jesus didn't say to transmute the bread and wine into his flesh and blood, that is sorcery. He said to break bread together...have the Lords Supper in rememberance of him, eat a meal together and fellowship. What you people do today is blasphemy. Drinking blood is forbidden to christians as per the Counsil of Jerusalem and cannibalism is a sin.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

You know, lonewolf19792000, I'm a little surprised that we got here considering that we started with the Pope advising us to allow ourselves time for silent reflection, But I'm willing to go just about anywhere.

You sound like a fan of the Bible and that's a good thing. I wanted to find out about this Last Supper business, so I went to Luke 22:17-20. I won't quote it but it says he took the bread, said a blessing, gave it to the disciples, then told them that it was His body. He did the same thing with the wine and called it His blood, then told them "Do this in rememberance of Me."

Ok, here's how I see it. He started off with bread, then took it, then blessed it, then said it was His body. I believe that's all true. He started with bread and it became His body. Same thing with the wine. Those were remarkable things but He told the Disciples to do it themselves as a rememberance.

Jesus is about to be killed, this is His last meal, his last drink. I believe He was using this last meal to give His disciples something special, the task and the ability to transform (or transsubstantiate) the bread into His body and the wine into His blood.

I'm sorry but thinking Jesus went through all this drama to simply say, "When you have a meal, think about Me," is something I can't do.

<< 1   >>

join