It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pope's Advice for ATS (and others)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
OK, I understand that not everybody on ATS is anxious to hear from the Pope, there might be one or two per cent that are resistant.
But I really think he's got something here. How often do we react without much thought to a post in a controversial area? How often do we insult some other poster? How often do we invest our time in threads (or conversations) that have no meaning or value?

Pope Benedict XVI is asking everyone to quiet down. In his annual communications message released Tuesday, Benedict extolled the sounds of silence. He said a little bit of quiet makes people better listeners and better communicators by giving them more time to think about what they are hearing and saying.

While on the surface this may seem like an odd recommendation, listening is a skill that seems far too absent in many sectors of today’s society. And in a world inundated by Tweets, Facebook statuses and 24-hour news coverage, that precious time to think and reflect gives words greater value, he said.

This year, his attention turned to the need to occasionally tune out the social media information overload to allow time for greater reflection. He called for striking a balance between silence, words, images and sounds.

“By remaining silent, we allow the other person to speak, to express him or herself, and we avoid being tied simply to our own words and ideas without them being adequately tested,” he said.

Silence also allows for greater discernment about what is really worth listening to, Benedict said. And of course, it allows for prayer, contemplation and silent conversation with God.

The Pope's advice - AP/Blaze

This time? Way to go Pope.
edit on 25-1-2012 by charles1952 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
nice post! i agree totally with his statement,and i spend alot of my day practacing this.
now,don't get me wrong. i have my own opinion abot the catholic faith.
i can rant for hours about it,but the pope's speech applies to all beliefs. be you god fearing,or an athiest,this still applies to everyone in our modern society. everyone should turn off everything for an hour a day,just to think,and reflect on their lives. its easy to do!
peace,and blessed be to all

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Dear reficul,

I'm glad you're able to practice this silence. Knowing how to listen shows respect to others and to God (or the universe, if you believe that way). I still believe that the most important thing in the world is the individual, for they alone are eternal. I think that's why the two great commandments are love God and love your neighbor.

Sometimes we just need reminding and I think that may be the Pope's main job, to remind the world of what's true.

Thanks a lot for the response, it was useful and worthwhile.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

the pope's speech applies to all beliefs. be you god fearing,or an athiest,this still applies to everyone in our modern society.

You GO, Pope!
Regardless what his own corporate executives and middle-managers are doing, he is SPOT ON. This is something the Dalai Lama would say. Or Jesus. Or Ghandi.

What a breath of fresh air!

Thanks for posting this Charles, and yeah, I'm one of those who sees this elderly man as nothing more than an edlerly man, who in this case (at least) is speaking wisdom, tolerance, and quietude. If some need to feel he is God's spokesman, well, then... fine...just...do what he said. Listen, reflect, quiet down, think...!
Star and 1st Flag from yours truly,
wildtimes
(whose home is completely quiet -- no tv or radio on, no music blaring, no pulp tabloids to read...until my brain is exhausted from study and thought and contributing...
then my FIRST choice is a book and a sunny window,
or a walk,
if no sun, and too cold, I might watch Hoarders if it's on...or cop shows...but it's usually Nat Geo, History, Discovery, or A&E....or better yet, Movies.)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

edit on 25-1-2012 by vogon42 because: I'm here, but I will remain silent

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

nice one, vogon! (too bad the words are so tiny...but I noticed your message!

charles, do you think many of the Pope's flock will heed his advice?

What say you Roman Catholics? What does the Pope's instruction mean to you, in terms of your faith?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Thanks OP!

This post does encompass all people, not just religious ones. He makes a VERY valid point. This is very important in relationships too. I only wish I was more aware as it makes all sense to me now, and mostly due to what it achieves, it might have changed some things in life a long time ago, for the better.

I do find that, even myself, when something is said, someone (and I usually fit this bill) always has something to say to add to it or counter it. By saying nothing does offer some time for that person to say all that they need to say without interruption. I think that would also make that person feel as though they are truely being heard.

I HATE when someone cuts me off and starts giving me an answer of my question, especially when they dont listen to the whole thing and always start talking about another topic that I was not refering to.

Points for the Pope on this one. He is wise in his words, believed or not.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Dear wildtimes,

I'm honored, I've never received a first flag before. I'm glad you can find silence. May I toss out a few quotes from St. John of the Cross? (Just think of him as an old man who gets it right sometimes.)

"Conquering the tongue is better than fasting on bread and water." and

"Keep this in mind daughters: the soul that is quick to turn to speaking and conversing is slow to turn to God."

With respect,
Charles1952

P.s. I've got about 4 hours of medical stuff I have to do, so I'll see you later today.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Definitely worthy of a star and flag

Couldn't have said it better myself mr Benedict! Lately everyone has been jumping the gun calling people out and naming them everything under the sun. A little silence and consideration before jumping is a good idea.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I couldn't care less about what the pope has to say. But I do give credit where credit is due. For once we agree. People don't listen. I'm no different. OK, I'm known among my friends as the listener....I am. But lots of nods and Hmm's contribute to my listening. I believe that the pace which we live our lives is so frantic, for most of us, that we feel that we need time for ourselves instead of contributing to the lives of others.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I agree with him. As a young person I find it very hard to keep my silence, especially when people troll me and insult my faith. It is everywhere. You can't even go on facebook without some hipster implying atheists are smart and Christians are stupid.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I am not a catholic nor would I ever minutely consider being catholic But, what he said is wow a great communication speech that really cannot be argued or debated.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 547000

That is why you delete those people off your facebook...
If they were your friend they wouldnt be so harsh to insult your faith...

I do find it quite hilarious that the Pope is telling everyone to shut up...
I agree with the man...
But are humans becoming that obnoxious?
That the Pope has to tell us to shut up?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Dear EvolEric,

I do find it quite hilarious that the Pope is telling everyone to shut up...
I agree with the man...
But are humans becoming that obnoxious?
That the Pope has to tell us to shut up?
It may be that your question is light-hearted, but may I treat it seriously for a moment?

I think the Pope is telling us several things. By failing to reflect on nature, on our own thoughts, and what others say to us, we hurt ourselves by shutting off part of our abilities and handicapping ourselves. We are not able to see, hear or respond as well as we would have had we taken a little time out.

I think also that we hurt others by giving unthinking responses. We don't take the time to understand them, consider their situation, or decide on what might be most helpful. Instead, we let our emotions of the moment run away with us, possibly missing an opportunity, possibly doing actual harm.

And finally, I think he is saying that we hurt our relationship with God. This may not mean anything to those who don't believe in God. For me however, contemplative, silent prayer is my greatest source of strength.

Maybe we are becoming that obnoxious.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I am not listening to anything the False Prophet of the anti-christ has to say. He is trying to erase the evidence that Jesus Christ is God and replace him with his pagan junk. He crucifies Christ on the sign of Tammuz and transmutes the bread and wine into his actual flesh and blood. Drinking blood and eating the flesh of God is blasphemy of the highest order and so is partaking of food and drink offered to the sun god Apollo. No true believer of Christ would do those things.

He can take his ecumenical religion and shove it. I serve only one King and he is the Messiah and not some old bag sitting on a gilded golden chair in the Whore of Babylon.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Why do you call communion blasphamy when it is Jesus who commands us to do it?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Not surprisingly, I find it difficult to accept your opinion of what the pope is doing. But you did say something that struck me.

He crucifies Christ on the sign of Tammuz and transmutes the bread and wine into his actual flesh and blood. Drinking blood and eating the flesh of God is blasphemy of the highest order
It may be that you were so upset that you weren't thinking as clearly as you would have liked, but if you did mean this, then Catholicism must be the proper religion and I am grateful for your confirmation.

Turning bread and wine into flesh and blood? The flesh and blood of God? If a priest can do that every Sunday then we are seeing miracles on a regular basis. I don't know of another denomination that can do that. Maybe we should be listening to the Pope after all.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Turning bread and wine into flesh and blood? The flesh and blood of God? If a priest can do that every Sunday then we are seeing miracles on a regular basis.

On the contrary, the Episcopal and Anglican faiths use that symbolism as well. The wafer and beverage do not actually change their physical form...one is supposed to 'imagine' it is so.

Other protestant faiths may do that as well, but not having attended services of those, I can't say.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Dear wildtimes,

Thanks, I appreciate the check. I may be misunderstanding you. In the Catholic Church it's not symbolism. The belief is that it actually is the Body and Blood of Christ. It just appears to be bread and wine.

If the other denominations say it is the Body and Blood, great, that spreads the miracle to others as well. But I thought they saw it as symbolic.

Still if lonewolf19792000 thinks it's a miracle, I'm willing to accept that as a sign that the Church is true.

With respect,
Charles1952

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join