It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying Aussie flag on car 'more racist'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Not if you happen to be White. Then anything but self-loathing is considered racist.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

Congratulations, you caught me on a teachnicality. Let me Correct myself. Not First Australians. First custodians of this land.
Do you have a warm fuzzy feeling about finally being able to prove me wrong on something as trivial as world play?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo2

Congratulations, you caught me on a teachnicality. Let me Correct myself. Not First Australians. First custodians of this land.
Do you have a warm fuzzy feeling about finally being able to prove me wrong on something as trivial as world play?

Yes I do!

This may surprise you but I actually believe the Aboriginals or Koori's have actually been here more than 60,000 years (maybe even 100,000) not the 40,000 accepted by general science and historians. Bet you didn't see that coming!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Never been to Australia, would like to one day. Nothing wrong with pride in your country either, at least you Oz lot aren't all in our face and up your own bums like some of our ex-colonies.

You wear my nations flag as part of your own, I have seen how warmly your country still welcomes our Royal Family.

Australia has a lot to be proud of, good sportsmen (almost as good as ours
), great culture, great film / TV (Prisoner Cell Block H and Mad Max spring to mind).

And as someone pointed out, you have supported your allies in times of need.

You've done well.

EDIT: Don't be ashamed of the sins of your ancestors, you weren't there, you had no part in it, what matters is what you do today.
edit on 25/1/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

We let you hold onto the ashes a couple of times... lets not get cocky

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

Then tell me, what the hell do Australians have to be proud of? Sports ? And are we talking anglo-saxon Australians? The descendants of criminals? Their slaughtering of the native, original Australians?

You will not find a single culture or country on this planet that has not done something horrible in the past.

What is it that you are specifically proud of?

Well, I am not an Australian, but what about the fact that Australia is among the happiest nations in the world? Thats certainly something to be proud of!

World happiness
edit on 25/1/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage

Yes I do!

This may surprise you but I actually believe the Aboriginals or Koori's have actually been here more than 60,000 years (maybe even 100,000) not the 40,000 accepted by general science and historians. Bet you didn't see that coming!

No it doesn't surprise me and your right that i didn't see it coming because it holds no relevance to anything talked about here.
I can see i'm floggin a dead horse around here SO
Enjoy your Australis Day!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

And we let you hold onto it the rest because sometimes one has to let their younger brothers / children feel successful from time to time.

Seriously though, when your lot came over here in 2010 and shone a big projected image onto Big Ben, I howled, I thought it took some balls to do that, shame a few failed to see the humour in it.

'Pack the urn' say Aussies

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
We did it the wrong way. We should have left the convicts in Britain and transported the population to Australia. I mean, why should criminals get the good weather?
edit on 25-1-2012 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

reply to post by theRhenn

As someone from The USA who obviously has no idea about this country it is very easy for you to have an opinion.
The dwelling is because this country has failed to reconcile with the aboriginal people and there is still a huge gap both socially and culturally because of this there is also quite a bit of racism and misunderstanding. This country is not like the USA and its history. You guys have actually done quite well adressing these things over the last 100 years.
Im sorry but i do find it irritating when americans comment on this when you cant even get your own government to stop stripping away your freedom and rights.

Dude... You do know about Native Americans right? I may only have an opinion, but based on our history, my cultures history, and the history of the people that lived on this land before us, it's at least an educated one.

The "idea" that I have of your country comes from friends who live there in Sydney and round abouts, and the wonderful information I gathered from my history lessons in school (not very informative I must say but..) and all of the great footage I get to see on educational channels.. Sure, I still know nothing in comparison, but I CAN compare it to any other culture that's gone through the exact same thing. Americans are no strangers to this.

I just feel that the past is the past, it's great to learn from but why dwell on it? We simply cannot understand that we are bigger than race, country, and everything else we label ourselves. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp? When we start looking past these things, MAYBE we'll see humanity and act accordingly.

Remember 1 important thing... I am an American. Once the freest of the free... Sir, I hate to tell you, but we have our rights stripped away from us every day, in every way, and by every damn law and business entity out there.

So in the end... Taking away someones pride as to who they are may only be the very last thing they have left. Very dangerous.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
A lot of issues in the world will wade away once everyone accepts they are part of the human race and the entire planet. Not just a small plot of land they drew a flag for, a flag for which so many die and so many are sacrificed..

Most idiotic posts I've seen in ages (or at least days) here on ATS.

For starters, it's not the flag but what it represents. I'm ethnically Norwegian, so in Norway I'll fly the Norwegian flag. Not because I give a damn about it, but because it represents my country. My heritage, my family and my culture and our countries thousand(s) of years of history.

We may all be part of the human race, but like any animal, we're all different. And instead of living in some idiotic la-la land pretending we're all the same and should bend over backwards to destroy our culture and heritage, we should acknowledge that we all are DIFFERENT and we shouldn't be ashamed of our differences and try to DESTROY who we are and what made us what we are today.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

For starters, it's not the flag but what it represents.

Not because I give a damn about it, but because it represents my country.

So your country?

My heritage, my family and my culture and our countries thousand(s) of years of history.

No I don't think so, that is your PERCEPTION of what it represents.

We may all be part of the human race, but like any animal, we're all different. And instead of living in some idiotic la-la land pretending we're all the same and should bend over backwards to destroy our culture and heritage, we should acknowledge that we all are DIFFERENT and we shouldn't be ashamed of our differences and try to DESTROY who we are and what made us what we are today.

You say you don't want to live in a la-la land but here you are defending a piece of cloth with some paint on it as if it was your family, culture, heritage, history...ah well, you are part of the masses that won't understand regardless.

You are ACTUALLY bending over backwards to make sure that you are the same as everyone else. That's why you want your own flag, just like everybody else...but if that makes you feel more accepted, fine have at it. There is however, something wrong with thinking that piece of cloth is worth more than one human being. Or that a piece of cloth makes you intrinsically different from someone else, to the point of discrimination.

Back to la-la land for you.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I'm proud of our sporting achievements, I'm proud of people like Dr Fiona Wood and Peter Doherty, I'm proud that I can go into town for dinner and can have authentic Indian, Turkish, Thai and Japanese cuisines, I'm proud of my great uncle and my grand father who fought for their country and for their family and I'm proud to call Australia home.

These are vague generalizations. Your are proud of sporting achievements? So what? Sports does not define a country. Proud of your family? Your family is not a country. Fought for the country? Were you invaded?

Proud to call Australia home? What about your street sign? Proud of that too? What about the house number you live on...proud of that too?

A ruse I tell you.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
the color of skin has little to do with superiority over someone else. just look at sarah palin or any hillbilly.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

The academics have been doing this to us here in the states for decades and now their poster child is in office. Never waver and enjoy your day my friend. Hope to visit you down under there someday....what a beautiful county.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Were you invaded?

Well if he had a family member fight in WW2 I would say his family defended his country, which would have been overrun by the Japanese if not stopped by the allies in the pacific or by Hitler if not stopped by the allies in Europe .

I am not one for crazy national pride, I don't paint my self in red white and blue and run down the street creaming USA. But that does not mean one can't be proud of the country they were born and raised in. I love the USA, but I don't think its the greatest country ever. I love it for many reasons, it is my home. Being proud of your culture and people is different than radical nationalism.

The US massacred the Native Americans, something I am not proud of.

The US put a man on the moon, something I am proud of.

The US killed hundreds of thousands in Japan with WMD's during WW2, again something I am not proud of.

The US created the Peace Corps which has helped hundreds of thousands of people, again something I am proud of.

Hell if I went over to Australia during there big national holiday, I would celebrate with them. I think Australia has a rich and wonderful history.

No I don't think so, that is your PERCEPTION of what it represents.

Perception is everything my friend...keep that Eye Wide Open
edit on 25-1-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Perception is everything my friend...keep that Eye Wide Open

"In a blind world, the man with one eye is King."

So you must live in a blind world.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
If someone wants to fly the flag of the country they are in then so be it that should not be frowned upon, how can that be deemed racist by anybody, but at the same time if someone wanted to fly the flag of a different country then so be it.

People always go on about this being racist that being racist, The only reason they talk like that is because of the MSM, people shouldn't even be needing to think about things like this if they are happy with themself and others, at the same time I don't think we are ever going to get rid of this bull---- cause there will always be the idiots to the left or the idiots to the right and I'm not talking politics.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Were you invaded?

Oh Dude get a history lesson! If you knew your history you would know that during World War II Japan was hell bent on domination in South East Asia and the area that is now known as Oceania. With Australia and New Zealand being their ultimate prize.

You should also know Darwin was badly bombed by Japanese invaders and the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney were bombed by them as well. They were also right through Sydney Harbour (We even captured the subs and have them i our war museum).

It was the "Fall of Singapore" that was the wake up call! Then the Australians, Kiwi's, Papua New Guineans (including the Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels), Americans, Pinnoy and all the other great South East Asian nations stood up as one and drove them back to where they came from. We pride ourselves on efforts like the Kokoda trail and liberation of Changi!

I tell you this so you actually get a feel for pride we have in our Nation on Australia Day.

Also happy India Day to those in India!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

reply to post by mungodave

What a disgrace.
a lot of australians subscribe to that message. "if you don't l.ike it then leave" mainly because there is a real fear of foreigners in this country.
Cant you see that every free man has the right to not like something about his homeland without getting told well leave or get stuffed

If an immigrant doesn't like the way of life of the host country - Why did they choose to move there?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join