It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying Aussie flag on car 'more racist'

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

Yes they are. It's in the research. Care to disprove this? Then set up some research for yourself to find out if it's true or not, trust me - you will be unpleasantly surprised.

It probably is, it is my view, too. I am just saying that it is not in the article linked in the OP. There is no proof of racism there.

those who stare themselves blind of flags and see so much in a piece of cloth are likely to be racist, dumb and pretty much puppets.

Not all of them. There are legitimate reasons to be a patriot.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Not all of them. There are legitimate reasons to be a patriot.

There are no reasons to swear allegiance to a flag. Which reasons to be patriot again? In WW2 perhaps but now?

For the sake of debate, follow this line of thinking please:

Random person is patriot. This person swears allegiance to the flag. The flag resembles the "official" country, so this person swears allegiance to the government of the country.

What the random patriot does not know is that this government is hijacked by lobbyists that do not represent the "real" country...the piece of land the patriot his family lives on.

In retrospect, the patriot swore allegiance to not what he wanted(the idea that the flag represented all he loved) but what the lobbyist wanted(a controlled population that waves flags, like at sports games, and does not question the motives nor does the controlled population look behind the curtains to see who they are really swearing allegiance to).

So you see, patriotism is as threatening to ones nation as treason is.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

So you see, patriotism is as threatening to ones nation as treason is.

Blind patriotism is. But you forget that the person may really like the country, its culture and even government to some degree. In that case, is it not justified to be a patriot?

You also forget that waving a flag and being a patriot may not mean that we must agree with every attribute of a country. Only that generally we view it favorable.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Your arguments have no basis in reality. Have you been watching the tennis at all? See all the fans from different countries, faces painted, waving their flags with smiles on their faces? Showing pride in the country that you were born or live in does not equate to being more racist. What your "research" simply shows is that some people who fly flags on their cars are more likely to be racist. You will find these sorts of people throughout the world.

edit on 28/1/2012 by Dark Ghost because: typo

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Secondly, what do Asians, Arabs, etc have to be proud of in Australia. They didn't really start arriving on mass until the 1980s.

The above I will deal with first since the Chinese were in Australia as early as 1854 with the Gold Rush and as I stated in my first post, were also workers on Australian infrastructure. In fact the number of Asians at the time implemented new policy changes within government, not pleasant ones granted (ie: white Australia) policy but there it is.

The Greeks, Maltese, Croatians and Spaniards came between 1951 and the 70's were primarily working class as well. The Arabs were one of the nationalities to come a little later sure but still contribute to the community and Australia on the whole.

The Aborigines used clan names as their nations, so think of the Australian "clan" as one that managed to succeed.

There are very few cases where there are clear groups that correspond to such a term. In reality most indigenous Australians could name a number of groups of which they are members, each group being defined on different criteria and often with much overlapping.

They would interact with other clans/tribes often over vast distances and would often be a member of and identify with more than one. Whether they celebrate Australia day or not does not mean they don't have plenty to be proud of. They are a long lived indigenous peoples with culture and history and deserve our respect.

So rather than continue to defend my position I would like to finish with every Australian regardless of how they got here or when, who contributes has something to be proud of.

cheers

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Blind patriotism is. But you forget that the person may really like the country, its culture and even government to some degree. In that case, is it not justified to be a patriot?

You do not understand what I'm saying here...Patriotism IS a form of metaphorical blindness. Unless you are in a state of war and you are being invaded. Then it's just a way to raise the moral of your population to pick up arms and sacrifice themselves for the better or worse.

You also forget that waving a flag and being a patriot may not mean that we must agree with every attribute of a country.

Uh, sure...that goes without saying. Just look at how much these self-proclaimed "patriots"(read: racists) hate immigrants and government policies concerning immigrants. But, it leaves the door open for other kinds of psychological manipulation, ie. read below.

Only that generally we view it favorable.

Until you are faced with an impossibility. For instance, your government gets found out to be a puppet of lobbyists and its found out that they've been catering to the lobbyists rather than their population. Then, if you are a patriot, your brain will start making excuses. "Oh well it's been like this for some time, it has to be good". Worse yet, if an enemy to the state is concocted, then everyone will melt in the hands of these lobbyists, whether they be bankers or weapons manufacturers, or their respected representatives; the average politican.

The flag is a symbol of their power over you. For some it takes a flag, for others a holy book. Then for some others it will take both to subdue their critical mind.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Your arguments have no basis in reality. Have you been watching the tennis at all? See all the fans from different countries, faces painted, waving their flags with smiles on their faces? Showing pride in the country that you were born or live in does not equate to being more racist. What your "research" simply shows is that some people who fly flags on their cars are more likely to be racist. You will find these sorts of people throughout the world.

Excuse me...did you just bring sports into the argument?
Do you have ANY idea how much psychological warfare goes into international sport events?

Please, go educate yourself.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Are you claiming then that people who place Australian flags on their cars are engaging in psychological warfare by doing this? I thought this was about establishing a correlation between people who fly flags on their cars being more racist than those who don't?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Are you claiming then that people who place Australian flags on their cars are engaging in psychological warfare by doing this?

I clearly stated sport events, but you're just not going to get it are you? Seriously, take either one of those pills from your signature and enjoy your fairy tale. It's obvious you miss reading comprehension. No point at all to waste intellect on people that will read what they want instead of what is written.

I thought this was about establishing a correlation between people who fly flags on their cars being more racist than those who don't?

Since that correlation has already been established(first post, first page, OP) the conversation evolved amongst a few members. Not all apparently.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost

edit on 28/1/2012 by Dark Ghost because: typo

We send our "Heroes" to their arena and they , in turn , send their "Heroes" to our arena .The people must have their spectacle , cheers "Winners" and jeers for "Losers " ., and , depending on a win or loss, a good dash of violence.

In reality nothing has changed from the days of the Colosseum and the Gladiators of Rome , people now , however , refuse to admit that fact.

edit on 28-1-2012 by DevilsApprentice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I'm not even going to waste my time. Your arguments have no basis in reality. You continually go off-topic and resort to personal attacks against those whose opinions you do agree with. You are an Embracer of Ignorance.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Your arguments have no basis in reality.

Just keep repeating that and one day it will sound true to you.

You are uneducated on psychological warfare, so enjoy being a victim for the rest of your life.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
The same tripe peddled by 5th & 6th generation 'walk-ins', that, on the whole, condoned the slaughter of an established original nation of people.
Funny that 'Aussies' are soooo frightened of the more recent walk-ins, labelling them invaders?!...sound familiar?

History repeats itself...and if you can't wrap your puny brains around that one, you will fall victim to the same process...

Australia has heaps to be proud of...this land is awesome...
Australians (on the whole) are welcoming and self-effacing (this can appear to other 'cultures' as, couldn't give a toss...)
But the Imperial ghosts in the closet are still present in the generations of walk-ins, that will tell you 'blue-in-the-face'...they are not racist...

All countries have a racist element...Australia is not immune from this. Being proud of your country has nothing to do with racism, and who is allowed to reside here (by a government still tied to British apron strings).

Grow up

Akushla

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

Being proud of your country has nothing to do with racism

Reading comprehension failure. That is not what the article is about. But if you cannot understand that pride in a country means less pride for another country then you are just as lost as the flag waving masses.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoKartel
reply to post by akushla99

Being proud of your country has nothing to do with racism

Reading comprehension failure. That is not what the article is about. But if you cannot understand that pride in a country means less pride for another country then you are just as lost as the flag waving masses.

Deeper issue comprehension failure!

Question...
What country in the world does not have citizenry not 'native' to that country?
What countries have not been initially invaded throughout history by another country?

The race of a country is not determined by the beauty of the countryside, or the beauty you see within it.
Many countries are going through the throws of a type of multiculturalism (most often than not through the auspices of 'invasions' of the modern era) that is blurring the lines between what constitutes the 'race' of a country. The 'old [smelly] guard' are gathering posses and loading muskets, laying claim to lands which were originally...lets not gild the lily...STOLEN...

Forget this by remembering a more palatable version (in the case of Australia) the INVASION by the British, and you are well on your way to the type of racism that divides nations anywhere on the world.

What rulebook instituted the law of mutual exclusivity?...or is this just your 'humble' opinion?

Anyone can be as proud of any country they like whether they live in it or not...I'm proud of my neighbours garden! I don't live in his house though...yet there are places in Australia I am not particularly proud of...and there are Aussies I cringe at, institutions I loathe...does that make me un-Australian? And if it does...what the hell is Australian?

Flag waving masses...proud Aussies buying flags manufactured in China...kinda ironical, don't you think? Lol

Akushla

edit on 29-1-2012 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Add.

102 people in Perth is hardly a cross-section of 'Australian' society.
I wouldn't put any money on this survey.

Massive survey fail!

Akushla

top topics

<< 15  16  17   >>

join