It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple slavery in China in one example

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
How US lost out on iPhone work

Apple executives say that going overseas, at this point, is their only option. One former executive described how the company relied upon a Chinese factory to revamp iPhone manufacturing just weeks before the device was due on shelves. Apple had redesigned the iPhone’s screen at the last minute, forcing an assembly line overhaul. New screens began arriving at the plant near midnight. A foreman immediately roused 8,000 workers inside the company’s dormitories, according to the executive. Each employee was given a biscuit and a cup of tea, guided to a workstation and within half an hour started a 12-hour shift fitting glass screens into beveled frames. Within 96 hours, the plant was producing over 10,000 iPhones a day.

“The speed and flexibility is breathtaking,” the executive said. “There’s no American plant that can match that.”

Of course it can't match that, that's called SLAVERY.

But eh, it's all good since Apple is making RECORD money...
Apple Blows Away Top And Bottom Line

Revenues of $46.33 billion, expected at $38.99 billion
EPS of $13.87, expected at $10.14
APPLE SEES 2Q REV. ABOUT $32.5B, EST. $31.87B
APPLE 1Q IPAD UNITS SOLD 15.43MLN , UP 111%
APPLE 1Q GROSS MARGIN 44.7%, EST. 40.8%
APPLE SOLD 5.2 MILLION MACS DURING QTR, EST. 5.1M
APPLE SOLD 15.4 MILLION IPODS IN QTR, EST. 13.9M
APPLE SOLD 37.04 MILLION IPHONES IN THE QUARTER, REPRESENTING 128 PERCENT UNIT GROWTH

So eh, as long as they make a profit, it's alright... even if it's based on the slavery of people...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
All those suicides of Chinese youth make sense/the case for slavery and all and who profited, the US corporation
Could Apple be the next Enron in some ways as far as monopolistic?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Yeah, so glad I have never bought a crappy apple product, and never will.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I was reading how some of these US manufacturing Chinese factories have such poor conditions that many of their workers threaten mass suicide by jumping off the buildings in which they work. There's been reports of a few incidents where this has actually happened.

Some of these Asian people can work damned hard. I recall way back in the 80s, a local poultry distributor where we delivered ice to, the Asian employees there would come out and offload the bags of ice for us. And far out! Were they so fast!

I kind have a quiet hope that the Chinese will rise up again against their government and exploitation. China GDP only has to fall below 8 per cent to create conditions for significant social unrest in the country. It would be Tiananmen Square protests 1989 on steroids.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Love my IPad...thanks Steve jobs!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmperorXyn

Microsoft.. Dell.. HP ..

ALL of them use slave labor in China.

I think Apple has a duty to be better than the rest .. hell we pay a premium for their products. But over all Apple more often produces a better product.. and I certainly couldn't switch to a PC

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Originally posted by EmperorXyn

Microsoft.. Dell.. HP ..

ALL of them use slave labor in China.

I think Apple has a duty to be better than the rest .. hell we pay a premium for their products. But over all Apple more often produces a better product.. and I certainly couldn't switch to a PC

China labor+ consumers paying premium=even more profit.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
How US lost out on iPhone work

Apple executives say that going overseas, at this point, is their only option. One former executive described how the company relied upon a Chinese factory to revamp iPhone manufacturing just weeks before the device was due on shelves. Apple had redesigned the iPhone’s screen at the last minute, forcing an assembly line overhaul. New screens began arriving at the plant near midnight. A foreman immediately roused 8,000 workers inside the company’s dormitories, according to the executive. Each employee was given a biscuit and a cup of tea, guided to a workstation and within half an hour started a 12-hour shift fitting glass screens into beveled frames. Within 96 hours, the plant was producing over 10,000 iPhones a day.

“The speed and flexibility is breathtaking,” the executive said. “There’s no American plant that can match that.”

Of course it can't match that, that's called SLAVERY.

So eh, as long as they make a profit, it's alright... even if it's based on the slavery of people...

Foxconn City or Raccoon City? not 8000 but 300,000 slaves

Young Workers: Struggling Inside “Foxconn City” Foxconn describes its Shenzhen Longhua manufacturing site, sub-divided into 11 zones listed alphabetically from A to K, as a campus. It is the biggest technological park in China where 300,000 workers, or as many as one-third of Foxconn’s workforce in the country, is based. Company profile and media reports92 mention that the 2.3-square-kilometer campus includes: Factories, dormitories, banks, hospitals, a post office, a fire brigade with two fire engines, an exclusive television network, an educational institute, bookstores, soccer fields, basketball courts, track and field, swimming pools, supermarkets, and a collection of cafeterias and restaurants. Fieldwork confirms that most of the Foxconn employees in China are young migrants who work and live on the campuses. These workers produce and assemble high-quality electronics products. A tagline of Foxconn’s worldwide recruitment advertisement reads, “The Foxconn brand is the talent of its workforce” (in original Chinese, rencai shi Hon Hai de pinpai).93 The evidence suggests, however, that the company is losing its most precious talent. By the end of May, 12 Foxconn workers had jumped or fallen to their deaths and the 13th jumper, a 25-year-old worker, slit his wrists after being stopped from jumping from a dormitory (see table 5). Given recent events, the term used to refer to employees, “the people of Foxconn” or fu kang ren, rings with dark irony as the Chinese, literally translated, means “wealthy” and “healthy” people.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

It really doesn't matter what you call it, but as long as people still consume Apple products...
They will still force workers to live in small cube cells and pay miserable wages to make them.
Which is modern slavery.

So until people stop purchasing any form of product made in these conditions...
This type of activity will never cease.

And I don't see people lining up to boycott Apple by the millions.
Rather I see people lining up to buy Apple products, by the millions.
Just like good consumers should.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Being the trendy hipster that I am, I sure would love to boycott whatevers in vogue at the minute, but iPads are just so like way super awesome!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
reply to post by Vitchilo

So until people stop purchasing any form of product made in these conditions...
This type of activity will never cease.

Considering everything in China is most likely manufactured this way, maybe we should stop buying “made in China” products.

new topics

top topics

join