It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 - the start of the end for Christianity?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Ive been think a lot lately, and even though Ive posted similar thoughts in different discussions, I thought this deserved a thread of its own.

First of all, I am not a prophet, but I do have a prediction or to.

Prediction #1 Watch for more and more people to connect 2012 with christianity and prophesy. (or religion in general) Then when nothing happens at the end of the year, the world has a group to blame.

I believe in Jesus, and I believe in prophesy, but nowhere does it mention 2012. It does however mention persecution of believers in Christ during the latter days.

So how does a society which was based on the bible and its teaching make such a 180 turn?

One way could be to give the "crazies" a specific date to hype, and a way to tie it in with Bible prophesy. Market it as an event predicted by ancient cultures, throw in some scientific realities about black holes, solar cycles, and natural global climate shift, and you get the ball rolling. Let the "nutters" run with it where they may, the crazier the better.

Get enough people to buy in to this so called "apocalypse", get enough people who dont believe in anything to believe in something, even though you may know its not going to happen, and when it doesnt...

Well, then you have a culture that will be angry and ripe for a scapegoat. And christianity is looking like it might fit that bill.

Although Jesus doesnt speak of 2012, how many Joe Smoes out there actually study the bible?
How many people out there dont "really" think anythings going to happen, but are stocking up anyway?
How many people are going to sell there houses, take those dream vacations, or just do what theyve always wanted to because "the worlds about to end"?

Those people are going to be out for blood come December 22 if they find out theyve been lied to. As civilized as we think we are, mob mentality still rules.

Prediction #2 I wont elaborate, but it seems this year could be perfect for a false flag self fulfilling prophesy involving aliens. Although the alien gospel seems to fit the bill for the "coming great deception" I think its unwise to assume we have this particular scenario figured out. I really dont want to see people turned away from God because they were fooled into believing in this theory, and it turned out not to come to pass. I wanted to include this, because we should be aware that it could happen.

I dont wish for these things to happen, and I hope that Im wrong. I just wanted to bring a different point of view to this discussion.
If neither of these scenarios happen, then no biggie. Im only human, and I do not presume to know the mind of God. I do think that we should be aware of the possibilities, and to not be fooled by future events that could have been so easily contrived.

I welcome your thoughts in this matter, Im hoping that we can discuss the subject of 2012 and its ramifications, and not get sidetracked into matters of religious semantics.

What do you think, am I off my rocker? Or does this kinda make sense?
edit on 25/1/2012 by osirys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I agree almost entirely with everything you've said. I have a few reservations, but they tend to lean more toward what remains unsaid rather than what you've stated yourself.

While you're correct in stating that the Bible doesn't name a date ("no man knows the day or hour"), it also states that "you, brothers, should not be in darkness, that the day should overtake you like a thief".

So... while we may not know the day or hour, its coming shouldn't surprise us. This means that the Rapture and the later return of Christ should be generally, though not specifically predictable.

You could take this a step further (and some do - though I have some hesitance on this topic) and apply the phrase "no man knows the day or hour" to the New Moon / Rosh Hoshanah in September of 2012. This would also tie in with those who believe that "this generation shall not pass away until they see all these things take place", meaning that 2012 would be the final year of a 70-year generation that could potentially see the Rapture occur (as 2012-2018 would be 70 years from the reunification of Israel in 1948, those years being the Tribulation, which commences after the Rapture).

While I can see some validity in the points raised in this argument, I'm not willing to lean on it too heavily, given that we don't know the day or the hour.

Anyway. I take your point, and I certainly agree that we're being prepared for a coming "great deception". I think that ties in neatly with the return of aliens/nephilim (who I believe are related, aliens being fallen angels, nephilim being their offspring, genetically fused with the DNA of man through woman (c.f. Genesis 6)).

Either way, 2012 will be a very interesting year... but... the final year? Well, only God knows the answer to that - and I wouldn't take the failure for anything dramatic happening as anything other than a failure for something dramatic to happen... rather than a failure in terms of prophecy etc., because, as you say, the Bible makes no mention of a date.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I would be nice if people realized that they don't have to follow the teachings of imaginary people in old books and that the truth is actually within themselves.

Religion has divided mankind for centuries , It would be nice for all to notice that we are one.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I am religious and I do not buy into any of the 2012 stuff. Even if something massive happened, I would still practice my religion. Even if aliens existed, I would still have faith in God. So, I am not sure that religion would ever end all at once like that. I can see it potentially fading in the next 500-1000 years (there are still billions of people who are very strongly faithful in many traditions, don't forget) but there are not that many religious people who are seriously dreading the apocalypse, in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by osirys

Well, can't blame Christianity, since it specifically says that only God knows the date and time Jesus will return.

2012 is known to be science-fiction, nobody in their right mind actually believes anything will happen in 2012.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Is it the last year of the American dollar? Or what will they put in place of GOD we trust in?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
Is it the last year of the American dollar? Or what will they put in place of GOD we trust in?

Why can't they have the same dollars?

Although they might upgrade them, dunno.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Do you consider these other people to be "crazies" and " nutters " because they might believe some fancifully concocted nonsense which differs from YOUR fancifully concocted nonsense?

Isn't there something in your big book which speaks of judging not and removing the mote from thine own eye?

Were you a little more in tune with these great requests of your savior, I might find more reason to pay attention to the other things you have to say.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamaperson

Originally posted by ignant

Why can't they have the same dollars?

Although they might upgrade them, dunno.

Isn't the dollar religious?

I mean, it appears made that way for religious endorsement with the "In God we Trust"

I guess non-religious people are tolerant? Cuz I never yet seem a dollar with God crossed out or anything..

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
I would be nice if people realized that they don't have to follow the teachings of imaginary people in old books and that the truth is actually within themselves.

Religion has divided mankind for centuries , It would be nice for all to notice that we are one.

This exactly proves my point, the sentiment has been rising for a long time... we should be prepared as to where it may lead.

As for being one...

Genisis 11:6 The LORD said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.

Even God admits that if we were to become as one, we could do anything.
A pretty dangerous thought if you ask me...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
Do you consider these other people to be "crazies" and " nutters " because they might believe some fancifully concocted nonsense which differs from YOUR fancifully concocted nonsense?

Isn't there something in your big book which speaks of judging not and removing the mote from thine own eye?

Were you a little more in tune with these great requests of your savior, I might find more reason to pay attention to the other things you have to say.

Try not to misinterpret what I was trying to say. I am not judging these people, I am describing them as the mainstream society would. I am of the opinion that anything is possible, so I do not judge anyone for their beliefs.

As for listening to me, Im simply trying to shed some light on what the bible actually says, and how it could be twisted.
And if you want to write me off, go for it. Ignore me all you want, but I would hope that you wont ignore the one who matters.

edit on 25/1/2012 by osirys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
What makes you think all Christians are going to get on the bandwagon of a particular date.
Effectively as a Christian I actively warn against date setting.
There are some serious flaws in some of your opinions, that said I do think something will have to happen to make the world hate Christianity.
I thought the European fella who killed all those people on the island would to cause problems for Christians, but it didnt.
To deny that 2012 wont be an eventful year one way or another is a little strange to me though.
The world seems to be balanced on a knife edge

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by osirys

Don't hold your breath.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

I do not think that true christians will support the 2012 hype. I do think they may be blamed and/or discreditted for some of it. The same kind of situation as Harold Camping.

It will be an eventful year thats for sure.

I just think that its possible that maybe nothing will happen, and we should be prepared for that, and what that would mean.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by osirys

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

This exactly proves my point, the sentiment has been rising for a long time... we should be prepared as to where it may lead.

As for being one...

Genisis 11:6 The LORD said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.

Even God admits that if we were to become as one, we could do anything.
A pretty dangerous thought if you ask me...

What's so dangerous about it?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

It all comes back to the fruit in the garden of eden.
We have been given certain powers by god, but even so, we should never assume that we could be as powerful as him.

Humanity so often forgets the person who gives us our power. To believe that we may be as gods is folly, and was the very reason the tower of babel fell.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

reply to post by borntowatch

I do not think that true christians will support the 2012 hype. I do think they may be blamed and/or discreditted for some of it. The same kind of situation as Harold Camping.

It will be an eventful year thats for sure.

I just think that its possible that maybe nothing will happen, and we should be prepared for that, and what that would mean.

Nothing will happen. We don't need to prepare for it.

I don't think even untrue christians would support 2012 hype, and I don't think it will be christians who will be blamed for any of it.

The 2012 thing is Mayan, isn't it? And not about the end of the world, but the end of an era, or something like that. Remember, they must have ended the calendar somewhere, it can't be infinite.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

It all comes back to the fruit in the garden of eden.
We have been given certain powers by god, but even so, we should never assume that we could be as powerful as him.

Humanity so often forgets the person who gives us our power. To believe that we may be as gods is folly, and was the very reason the tower of babel fell.

I respect your faith , I simply don't believe the same things that you do. I never said I was as powerfull as a God , I simply said that many answers that people look for in religious texts , can be more easily found if that person looked within themselves. I'm not in doubt that there is a creator , I simply don't believe in the book that you're using as a source. I'm very spiritual , I'm just not religious.

I'll respectfully leave it at that.

P.S.

I noticed in your reply you stated "Humanity so often forgets the PERSON who gives us our power" , That my friend is a tell

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamaperson

The 2012 thing is Mayan, isn't it? And not about the end of the world, but the end of an era, or something like that. Remember, they must have ended the calendar somewhere, it can't be infinite.

Pretty Much....the Mayans, the Hopi, the Egyptians, some Chinese and some Indian cultures believe it will be a time of great change... but I don't think any of them believe it is the end of the world.

I personally think we will probably have more earth changes (Floods, Storms, Earthquakes & Tsunamis) but I believe it's a natural cycle of the earth , we've had all of these things in the past & we'll have them again in the future.

Honestly the biggest threat to humanity is in fact humanity itself.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I wasnt trying to attack, another poster asked a question and I explained my viewpoint.

I agree with you, and maybe thats what the whole point of this thread was I guess. I think we should be more concerned with how people will react to 2012, instead of the date itself.

I think that we should be prepared and careful not to fall into the us vs them theme this year (as with any year).
Theres a lot of different viewpoints on the events of 2012, and I want to make sure we dont fall into the trap of hating people for their beliefs, whatever they are.
I see a possibility of that happening, and Im just trying to raise awareness I guess.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join