It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pictures from the Aurora lightshow

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+66 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
For those of you not aware the Sun produced a very large solar flare recently and from it produced a sweet light show. I got to see no such light show form my location so I went on an online search and here's what I found so far.

www.spaceweather.com...

"We went out with snowmobiles to wait for the incoming storm," says Pietikäinen. "The show started slowly, but after 15mins the landscape was green! This was the first time for Thomas (pictured above) to see the Northern Lights. He was very happy."

www.space.com...

Aurora over Norway, January 22, 2012

Aurora over Voss, Norway, January 22, 2012

Aurora over Ivalo, Northern Lapland, Finland

Aurora over Tromsø, North Norway, January 22, 2012

Aurora over Northern Norway, Jan. 22, 2012

Aurora over Abisko National Park

Aurora over Norilsk, Russia, January 22, 2012

Aurora North of Poker Flats, Alaska #1

Aurora North of Poker Flats, Alaska #2

Aurora North of Poker Flats, Alaska #4

Aurora North of Poker Flats, Alaska #5

Auroral Glow Over Alaska, #6

Aurora North of Poker Flats, Alaska #7

www.nightskyhunter.com...

Longyearbyen, Norway on Jan 24th 2012

Northern Ireland

I figured some of you need a distraction from daily doom and gloom

edit on 24-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Simply beautiful!! WOW! I am speechless! I wish I could see such a spectacular light show! And the nightsky in "Northern Ireland" AMAZING! I wish I could see that here!

edit on 24-1-2012 by iSeeKEnlightenment8o5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Not much more you can say than WOW!!
Makes you wonder what people of ancient ancestry thought about these back in the day. No wonder many stories were invented about the heavens. S&Fs thank you for taking the time to upload all of those

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
BEAUTIFUL pics, OP !!!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Absolutely stunning pictures!

Thank you for posting, I have been meaning to look around the net for some shots since I have not been able to witness this with my own eyes..

*inspired to work on musical projects now*

S&F!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by iSeeKEnlightenment8o5

You and I are in the same boat but thanks to technology we don't have to miss everything

Thanks to ATS new pic uploader it was no problem to upload these babies.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Wow....
Mother Nature really is amazing at times!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This is one reason why i want to move to Finland...that and i could meet the Dudesons or Sonata Arctica (and many more reasons)

S&F, man, you earned it

ETA: i reeaally love that one with the tree, and the aurora make it look like a wisp of green flame is burning the tree
also like the last two, where you can see the stars. Sucks to be partly night blind, and not able to see them :/
edit on 25-1-2012 by AuirOverrun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Those pictures don`t do the aurora justice imo - those beautiful dancing lights in the sky. When you see it in the flesh, its something you never forget. My great-grandfather used to say that if you whistled to the northern lights, they would come down and whisk you away.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I never get to see this where I live....thank you so much....just gorgeous!!!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Amazing, stunning, beautiful

I predict this thread to get lot of S+F.
Here you go S+F

And in motion.

edit on 25-1-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Found this...starts out kind of slow but cool towards the end!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Yes wow is one way to describe it, Alarming is another. When you see and Aurora your seeing the Earth geomagnetic field. The Earth geomagnetic field protects us from radiation and Electromagnetic Pulses (EMPs for short).

Now according to NASA the our Star Sol (aka the SUN) goes through periods of increased activity ever 11 or so years, 2012 happens to be a year when we will be at the height of one of these cycles. This last solar flare was an m9 class flare which is pretty powerful. M class flares can cause minor disruptions to our electrical grid, cell phone, orbiting satellite networks and force Airlines to reroute flight.

Worse than M class flare are X class flare. An X class flare (massive EMP) can knock out ALL Modern technology on planet. The Last recorded X class flare was in September 1859, this flare cause Telegraph Office (only electrical based tech around) around the world to catch fire. This one flare knocked out all telegraph communication world wide for weeks.

If such an even were to happen to day and out power grid with all its technology was turned on when an X class flare hit, we would lose all our technology and basically be thrown back to 1859 over night. According to FEMA estimates if this were to occur it would take the United States alone 5 - 10 years to replace all the transformers and get the power grid up and running. 10 YEARS. Cities would be uninhabitable and millions would die of starvation do to lack of ability to transport food. As for the rest of the world FEMA and experts figure it would take 50 - 100 years to get the world back to where its at today.

Our only hope of surviving an X class flare is to shut the grid down and ride out the storm. At best we'd have 3 days shut down the power grid. An after the storm has passed it would take weeks to get everything back up and running.

So next time you see and Aurora and say "Isn't that pretty" remember when you can see the geomagnetic field our protection is diminished.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Awesome ..Pictures and videos as good as they are still come way short of the real deal of a live experience ...Just like the rocky mountains .until you are there in person its not the same deal ....thanks for the post ...peace

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Here is one of my favorite sites

www.auroraskystation.com...

plus

I saw them once when I was 5 in Charleston WV

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Absolutely beautiful pictures!

We tried to get out to on Monday (22nd) night to see if the aurora was visible here in Glasgow, but it was partially cloudy and rainy and the best spot for watching the night sky was inaccessible as the road was closed and I couldnt get out last night (24th) to view anything
But Im glad that most of the photos i've seen were from the east coast of Scotland / Northern England, so I didnt miss anything.

JBRiddle, in response to your statement that we would have to power the "grid" down if an X-class flare hit us, well theres been more than a few in the past decade thats hit us hard and we survived and didnt end up back in the 19th century.

Solar Flare

In modern times, the largest solar flare measured with instruments occurred on November 4, 2003. This event saturated the GOES detectors, and because of this its classification is only approximate. Initially, extrapolating the GOES curve, it was pegged at X28.[12] Later analysis of the ionospheric effects suggested increasing this estimate to X45.[13] This event produced the first clear evidence of a new spectral component above 100 GHz.[14]

Other large solar flares also occurred on April 2, 2001 (X20),[15] October 28, 2003 (X17.2 & X10),[16] September 7, 2005 (X17),[17] February 17, 2011 (X2).[18][19][20] and August 10, 2011 (X6.9).[21] In 1989, during solar cycle 22 two large flares occurred on March 6 (X15) (see: March 1989 geomagnetic storm) and August 16 (X20) causing disruptions in electric grids and computer systems.

edit on 25-1-2012 by Ficargul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
These are incredible. I saw the Northern lights as a child when living in Alaska. I miss them so much. Thank you

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Awesome thread.

Amazing pictures.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AuirOverrun

LOL! Interesting reasons to move here.

I've been here for over a quarter of a century myself. US expat. It's not easy to get here if you're from outside of the EU. If you happen to be from within the EU though, find a job here and move. No more complicated than that.

Ah. I see you're in Canada. Check your ancestry. If you have a Finnish grandparent, you're in.
edit on 25/1/2012 by CosmicEgg because: info

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Absolutely stunning pics!!! We also get the chance to see this spectacular light show from where I live now, and have learned to take some great pics myself of the light shows.

Wow- thanks for sharing and making me smile!

SK

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join