It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia bans oil imports from Iran over nuclear threats

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Australian ban oil imports from Iran over nuclear threats

www.abc.net.au

Australian ban oil imports from Iran over nuclear threats

Posted January 25, 2012 09:56:00

Source: AM | Duration: 2min 55sec

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 24-1-2012 by daaskapital because: eta

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This article is a verbal one so i cannot post a story snippet. Australia has followed the lead of the European Union, the UK and the USA in imposing sanctions against Iran and their oil exports. It was only a matter of time until Australia announced this.

What does ATS have to say about this situation? Iran is still threatening to close the strait of Hormuz. Do you think it is just baseless threats that Iran is making or do you think they will end up with the mentality that if they go down, the world will fall with them?

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

They're going to have a hard time closing the strait with 2 US carrier groups there already.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I think you have got the mentality reversed. It apppears to me that the west is using the mentality " We will take down Iran even if we have to take the whole world with us" . Iran was minding its own business for this entire half of the century until it was magically coined as part of an axis of evil by George Bush's administration. Strangely they were all countries with independant control of their own monetary policy, coincidence huh?

Then around 2005 the war rhetoric against Iran began, again. Iran did not invade any countries, and the only sabre rattling they did was stateing they would defend their borders with extreme force. They never said they would nuke anybody. The same claim has circulated since 2005 every year that Iran is only months away from acquiring nuclear weapons, but it never happens.

Now the West is threatening an embargo. An embargo on their oil exports is similar to what has beene happpening to Cuba for the last 60 years or so, which is to not allow imports and exports. That is a direct threat to Irans national security so naturally they would have a right to defend themselves.

How can alll of that imply that Iran is the aggressor, it makes no sense.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Australia has no reason to declare sanctions against Iran...it isnt our quarrel and we should stay out of it, but our leaders seem to have a problem of not touching their toes everytime the US/England says anything.

Instead of taking the moral high ground and requesting IAEA inspectors inspect Israels illegal nuclear weapons facilities we are following like a little puppy dog on baseless/factless inuendo.

India is not a signatory to the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty either is pakistan.

Are we putting sanctions on them? Hell No...we are selling India Uranium.....so wheres the hypocricy?

Our leaders are ajn absolute joke!

Not supporting Iran, but the rule of law should be applied evenly to all parties. Not selectively.

If Iran had any brains, they would launch a pre-emptive attack on the carrier group "IN" the straight and sink the carriers there blocking the straight for a long period of time.

Yes, it would be hardship to be endured, not ideal, just trying to view things from their end.

Things need to change.....just over everything...sorry....

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
How much oil do we get from Iran anyway? does anybody know?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
All they have to do to sink those carrier groups is launch hundreds or thousands of missles simultaneously from land. Sure ADS can take out a handful, but the sheer volume simply cannot be stopped. Thus effectivley closing the straight. They have the capacity, the question is do they have the cojones?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
They should just stop sending the EU oil right now and all these other places. The EU has like 6 months to find other sources of oil, I wonder what they would do if they had to find other sources tomorrow. Thats one offensive measure Iran should do at least.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Hmmmm... the afternoon before Australia day too.
Probably too late to go and fill up the truck...sigh

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I used to like Rudd when Howard was P.M. When he kept saying the war was wrong in Iraq etc.. now he's in the leading political party and suddenly its ok to be a bully warmonger and yanky arse licker.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Australia's just another USA suckup
I guess they cant survive without our welfare either

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetnlow

Your comment isn't even worth a proper reply

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Most Australians can't stand the idea of America. Your own people can hardly survive off your own welfare mate, so great comment

As for the issue at hand, I'm surprised that this hasn't happened yet to be honest. Our decision makers are puppets..no question. This has absolutely nothing to do with us.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

Yeah mate, i agree. We are usually the first country to jump aboard the train so to speak.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Just like it has nothing to do with us
and where did i say Australians???

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Just like it has nothing to do with us
and where did i say Australians???

"Australia's just another USA suckup "

Do you even read what you post?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
How much oil do we get from Iran anyway? does anybody know?

I was wondering the exact same thing. Here is some info I found:

So where do our oil imports come from and how exposed are we to the Middle East or north Africa (MENA) for crude oil and Asia for refined products?
About 10 per cent of Australia's oil imports come from MENA, mostly from the United Arab Emirates on the Persian Gulf. Australia does import crude from Libya but last year this only amounted to 2 per cent of our crude imports.

Found at: www.smh.com.au...

Also:

In 2006-07, Australian refineries supplied around 75% of total Australian demand for petroleum products. That is, around 25% of demand was met by imports.
The bulk of imported petroleum products was from Singapore (around 64%); the proportion of diesel imports was similar (63%), while the proportion of petrol imports was much higher (90%).

Found at: wiki.answers.com...
References: www.aip.com.au...

So if we import 25% (roughly) of our oil products, and 10% of this 25% comes from the Middle East and North Africa, I can't imagine much of that comes from Iran.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Are you Australia ??? are you a government suckup???
Or are you just an Australian citizen getting dragged into the BS like the rest of us?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I am no proponent of nuclear energy. I am a proponent of sovereignty. The only opposition I have for Iran obtaining Nuclear Power is Fukishima. Next to Japan in seismic activity is Iran looks like, ...well, ...Japan.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Are you Australia ??? are you a government suckup???
Or are you just an Australian citizen getting dragged into the BS like the rest of us?

I am an Aussie citizen getting dragged into the coming # storm with everyone else. Generally when someone references a country, it also includes the inhabitants of the respected country.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join