It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your typical college student

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
‎"I don't complain about the president, cause I seriously dont even care about politics. The only time I cared or complained about Obama was when he came to our school and I was pissed cause the Starbucks line was like out the door.."

This was taken from facebook where a girl said this too another girl where she then posted it on facebook. All i have to say is wow, being in college this is nothing new to see but this alone shows you how blind most college students are, worrying about the kardashians and their morning starbucks is more important to them then the demise of the American life. Pretty soon no one will be able to afford starbucks, maybe then people will start to wake up and realize. Your thoughts on this?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Well, I know there's this whole thing about how once you're 18 you're magically an adult blah blah blah and everybody expects you to suddenly be as mature as a 30 or 40 year old it seems like.

But, personally, the difference between 18 and 25 was bigger than the difference between 12 and 18. College kids are just that...most of them are really still just kids.

Once they get 21, 22 (when they have to start thinking about paying those loans, in other words), they'll start caring really quick.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by thatshicray
‎"I don't complain about the president, cause I seriously dont even care about politics. The only time I cared or complained about Obama was when he came to our school and I was pissed cause the Starbucks line was like out the door.."

This was taken from facebook where a girl said this too another girl where she then posted it on facebook. All i have to say is wow, being in college this is nothing new to see but this alone shows you how blind most college students are, worrying about the kardashians and their morning starbucks is more important to them then the demise of the American life. Pretty soon no one will be able to afford starbucks, maybe then people will start to wake up and realize. Your thoughts on this?

to a certain point, the person who made the statement is right...

what is politics doing for anyone?... does your votes even truley count? NO

seriously "voting" for a new person wont change a damn thing, america...actually the WORLD as we know it is on a predisposed path, a self fulfilling prophecy..

"the president" "congress" the "supreme court" have nothing to do with the choices being made for america...no..those who are making those choices YOU or i will NEVER see

besides college kids are too lazy, and busy with their smart phones, and their ipads, and angry birds to care anyway

all that this new generation of "ME! MEE! GIMEE GIMEE!!" gonna do is put the nail on the coffin
edit on 24-1-2012 by k1k1to because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thatshicray

Dear thatshicray,

I am 52 and long out of college and I disagree. The Occupy movement had a lot of kids who were informed and these are the same ones that have been protesting at the G8 and G20 for years. The vast majority of people are sheep and never look up, God called that one. In addition, regardless of age there are always those who are paying attention and we have just as many young people now as we ever did who are paying attention.

I once attended a David Icke speach (I wanted to hear what he had to say and no I don't believe the queen is an alien, demonic maybe; but, not an alien). I was surprised to see that the people were fairly evenly distributed in all age groups. Heck, there are people on this site that are in college or college aged that certainly are trying to understand the world around them rather than just playing World of Warcraft. Don't give up on the youth. Peace.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
The typical college student?

At least on my campus, there are two kinds of "stereotypical" college students.

One of them is a fake blonde with orange skin from fake tanning, fluffy boots and shorts in the winter. No grasp of political anything or even basic common sense. With one of them, after I told her I was from Germany, I had the following exchange:

"Germany is an island, right?"
"Uhm... No."
"Oh. But Switzerland is, right?"

The other kind is the overly optimistic democrat who believed (or still does) that Obama is the true savior of America, and that electing democrats is the most important thing about politics, because they're the good guys!

Needless to say, most of them are somewhat dimwitted.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thatshicray

I'm a 17 year old college student, and I'm one of the most informed people you'll ever meet. I don't watch TV or follow sports or any reality shows or any of that garbage, I educate myself in my spare time and learn about topics of interest. Knowledge not just about the universe and science but also politics, economics, history, and so-called "conspiracies" is more exciting than hollering and jumping around like a monkey when somebody scores a touchdown.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
As a College student, I would really like to voice that we are not all like that. Just loudest. or the ones who post on Facebook about every little breath they take. And most importantly for the the record we are not all the gimme gimme me want kinda generation. Again its just the loudest. To generalize all people of my generation into that one persons statement is like saying all elderly are stubborn in their old ways and refuse to open their eyes or all middle age adults are bad parents who constantly put their kids in day care or over zealously smother their kids and reinforce a gluttonous attitude. Yes, I am not that old, none of us are. but instead of going "well we are doomed cause of these kids" why not find ways to give voice to the quieter ones instead of the loudest ones.
I hear quite often "oh you never grew up fighting for your rights" look at the occupy movement, not that bright, but if i remember right, the protestors of the past were seen in the exact same light of incompetence. I will admit, in terms of overall intelligence, we are all rather stupid in comparison to our elders, we have been bred to be lazy and dependent on the technology around us. Their are many of us who, as much as we may be trained to depend on our technology, do not like this at all. Not to say we want more, in fact we want less. We enjoy simplicity, creativity, working together in person, looking into the deeper simpler mysteries of life, as well as the greater problems of the world, not who Becky slept with last night or the line to Starbucks. Instead of assuming we failed you, give a little credit for those of us who are desperately trying to fix this hell bent machination that you yourselves were equally incapable of beating.

As a further note, I am deeply sorry if this is insulting to anyone, but i hate with a passion this mentality that my generation is a bunch of spoiled idiots who take the world for granted.

edit on 24-1-2012 by Iontruth because: Misstype.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

First of all, for the sake of yourself, don't go around saying that you're "one of the most informed people you'll ever meet.", that's arrogant or at least it sounds so. Just a heads up because I know you didn't mean it.

Anyway, I'm a University Student at age 21 and I still have regular contact with the college that I left recently. I will personally say that there is no way that any of those college students cares about much more than the latest iGadget, the latest new videogame from BigCompany, the latest VampireDiaries or whatever, Celebrities, Movies, oh, and of course, the latest gossip and who is in love with whom.

Kids these days don't know anything! I don't expect them to have /knowledge/, i.e. I wouldn't expect a kid to know Discrete Mathematics, but for the sake of all that is good, I do expect them to at least be able to have an insight.
Ask them what it really means for them to own that iGadget. You know what you'll hear in response? "I dunno."
Ask them what the big picture is currently in the world: "I dunno, Hollywood is making more movies, I guess."
I'm a bit upset about this one.
Ask them what it means to have freedom: "Um, to be able to go outside without being arrested?"

Someone needs to grab a philosophy library and force them to read everything. Someone needs to forcefully unplug them from the TV and celebrity-gossip-tube. If possible, force them to /learn/ and to gain insights.

There are some clever informed and insightful kids out there, it's true. The problem is that they're outnumbered almost 1,000 to 1.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
My son came home last weekend from University and had an interesting story to tell me. He said he was in one of his business classes and they were discussing the recent events with the global economy. Somehow they got on the topic of Russia and China could potentially become Super powers. With that, they would be targeted for their wealth. Well, a girl from China was sitting behind my son bursts out "China would crush any external threats". Now the class continues and the Professor mentions a "radical" group by name in China and another student from China lets out an audible gasp, I guess in China, you are not allowed to speak of these groups...

Bottom line, my son said "Mom, they freaked me the frig out"!

new topics

top topics

join