Building an AK - The People's Rifle

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
First off, lets get the legal stuff out of the way.

This post is meant for entertainment purposes only. If you get a cruddy kit and/or don't do your own homework and blow your hand off it's your fault, not mine. This is meant to be a primer and not an all-inclusive instructional how-to. Seriously, If you're unfamiliar with the tools described then get help. It is the reader's responsibility to follow all local, state, and federal laws at all times. Legally, you can make hundreds of these and be able to send the ATF pictures. I wouldn't recommend it, but it'd be the proof in the pudding. However, keep something in mind. You are building a firearm. The government takes that serious. You can't ever sell them. Well, the safest way is never to sell them. Don't forget about 922(r) compliance. More on that booger later.

Federal Firearms Licenses are classified into 11 types. Several years back I had an 01 FFL, dealer in firearms other than destructive devices. In order to remanufacture AKs to resell you would need to have an 07 FFL, Title 1 manufacturer of firearms, who can also act as dealer, other than Destructive Devices. However, I have heard it rumored that if you stamp your last name, city and state of manufacturer, and any serial number, you could legally sell homebuilt AKs, albeit very infrequently.

My ATF Investigator never called me back to tell me what he found out, but honestly that's an ironclad case for the ATF. You built a rifle, you sold a rifle, they have proof of it and you're toast. Personally I wouldn't dream of reselling a homebuild without an 07 FFL. However if I had followed my gut and put a pallet of AK kits on my credit card back when they were less than $100 I'd be rolling in dough. I'd have found the $$$ to file for the proper license..but I digress

It's ridiculously easy to build AK-platform rifles. Uneducated Afghanis build them with hand tools. While I have not witnessed them do this personally, a friend that I trust with my life has when he was stationed there. However, we have access to things like hydraulics and electricity, so there will be no need to hold parts with your toes while you bang on them with a maul.

AKs sold in stores in the US are all technically "homebuilds." AKs can't be imported intact so they are demilitarized. This consists of removing the bolt, carrier, gas tube and upper handguard. The rifle is cut into three pieces, bagged, and packed for importation. This is an AK kit.

Atlantic Firearms
I have done business with Atlantic in the past and they're good people. The price of the kits has gone up $80 since i first saw these a few weeks ago, and these are the only -74 kits i could find in 10 mins of looking, so you might want to take that into consideration.

For the images, I don't have any of my own. I don’t know if it’s kosher to put an outside forum link in ATS but that’s the only place I can find decent pics. Next time I build one (sometime this year, I hope) I’ll do a personalized DIY. For now, since they’re not my pics they’re not my writeup. I’ve read this one and I approve. Sorry, guys. It’s taken me awhile to do just the tools list and I honestly have an important midterm on Monday. That’s why I didn’t get this posted last night. Still, though, If you decide to build an AK or three and have any questions, feel free to ask. All AKs are essentially built the same way. The only variation is what parts you pick for your 922r compliance and how fancy you want your tools. If you’re Daddy Warbucks you can buy the snazzy rivet jig or you can make one for about $20 out of a pair of bolt cutters.
Savvy Survivor’s flat bending tutorial www.savvysurvivor.com...
-69Mach1’s Build Tutorial on Calguns www.calguns.net...
-note: pay special attention to 922r compliance list. As my compliance parts I picked the muzzle brake, buttstock, pistol grip, and the 3 fire control group parts as my US-marked parts. If your part is not stamped “US” on it, it’s a foreign part. No matter if it’s made here or not. IT HAS TO BE STAMPED. The reason I picked those 6 specific parts is because in that configuration I can legally use whatever mags I want as well as whatever handguards I want. 922r violations are the things the ATF charges you if they can’t find anything else to bust you for. It’s a pain, but stay legal.

It sounds hard, but It’s really not that difficult. The very first AK I ever built is still my go-to rifle. Why? Katya (yes, I named her .|..) is somewhat of a rarity amongst AKs. Feed her right and she’ll shoot 1 inch groups. NO WAI! Yep. Wai. This picture was taken after I mounted my Eotech at a FTX (field training exercise) amongst friends and I honestly didn’t have time to take another picture after the sight was properly dialed in. 50’s vintage Egyptian surplus was used with this shot. It shoots inconsistent cloverleafs with Hydroshoks. I’ve been offered $2k for it but I do not want to dabble with the legalities of selling a homebuild. You probably won’t get that, but you will get a reliable rifle that does not exist unless you show it off. Although, take your time and build one with a new barrel and it's possible.
Left Target: Prone with bipod, slow aimed fire. Right target, kneeling, rapid fire.

This is my homeland security. Upcoming is a TWS dogleg rail and a graphite/black tiger stripe cerakote finish. My roomie just bought the stuff and he does powdercoating.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Uneducated Afghanis build them with hand tools. While I have not witnessed them do this personally, a friend that I trust with my life has when he was stationed there.

I find this hard to believe. These people are so poor they lack the means to build anything to last. I know this because my deployment required me to spend copious amounts of time with local nationals as these are the same people that fight over an MRE, however, I do agree an AK is extremely easy to peice together.. fabricating the peices is a different story.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
They're not fabricating the parts. They rebuild busted rifles. The fabricated parts are reused over and over again, whether the original rifle was manufactured in russia, china, or wherever else there's a factory.

For example, a homebuilder wouldn't be manufacturing the parts. As I said, theoretically we could rebuild an ak with hand tools, but we have the convenience of electricity and power tools.
edit on 24-1-2012 by netwarrior because: edited for clarity

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by netwarrior

Ah.. now I can definently agree with you on that
Good post btw, I found most of it interesting.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Sorry guys the ops right
There's this lovely little valley, mountains, a beautiful stream, plantations lush and green
Where they just make fake weapons
You can ask for a glock 19 go back a week later and it's ready
Admittedly it looks like a glock - the parts look the same
But the quality is poor
Something like an ak
Easy to manufacture - that was the point of it
so in comparison their quality tends to be better

As I've said before the afghans ability to manufacture weapons is quite good
The problem is ammunition
they can't recreate the percussion cap on a large enough scale to be usefull
So when it comes to afghans weapon production I always say look for the ammo

Must ask tho dude
At what range is that group ?
Nice all the same
edit on 25-1-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added question

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
100 yards. It says it at the top of the target.

The reason I'm upgrading to the TWS rail is because that polish rail I have doesn't hold zero if I have to open the back of the rifle up. Once it's on it's solid but POI drifts if you swing it upwards at all.
edit on 26-1-2012 by netwarrior because: typo

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
i hate seeing threads like these

only because i'm jealous, we cant get firearm's as easy as you can in the US. and that ak47 kit looks sweet. probably loads of ak47's in ireland still, but i dont have one lol

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker10

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Nice
I only asked as you seem to know what your talking about and I still use 100 targets out to 300
And you'll be surprised how many still try to zero at 25 ! Just so they get a good looking group ( confidence builder for the inexperienced poss)
So what you getting 35/40 mm?
Do you generally zero on a 3 rnd group ? ( yes that's theoretically what you need but I like 5 )
And whats with the high left mate or is this down to your rail as you described ? ( can't remember the ak's PV at 100 )
But nice shooting and a beauty of a AK

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Thats some pretty tight group's for your AK. Viltor collapsible stock's are availble for the AK.

I have a first generation Krebs custom Saiga KTR-03S AK, with a pict. rail mounted on the dust cover, with an A-2 rear sight mounted on the rear of it. It seems to hold a zero within 1 MOA everytime I remove the dust cover. With that rear mounted A-2 rear ironsight, I have to mount my Burris 332 red dot scope ahead of it. It has a short eye relief, so I have to collapse the Viltor stock. I have to buy a shorter length Eotech than my 552 Eotech. I had to mount my 552 directly above the ejection port, when I found the spent shell casings were hiting the 552 scope, knocking it off zero.

GG&G sells a nice quick release for the Eotech 552. They also sell some nice dust covers for the Eotech as well.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker10

only because i'm jealous, we cant get firearm's as easy as you can in the US. and that ak47 kit looks sweet. probably loads of ak47's in ireland still, but i dont have one lol

You might be able to buy California legal AK's and AR-15's, that have a lock and key magazine system. I read about it in Shotgun News; but I forgot who makes them. Will try to give your more information later {in a few days} on this thread.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Reply to post by Neocrusader

Its the rail i think. No matter how much i adjust the eotech whenever i flip the rail to access the internals and put it back on, it always settles high left.

Ps if you zero at 25 yards with an ak the POI is the same at 215 yards, iirc.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
cool

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Accepted
But a 25 zero lacks the spread to get the best mpi for greater distances ( why i like 5 rnds )
Yes you can zero but you lack that average fall of shot at range
Apply that zero to a target at 300
Think of it like this
people like You and I can clover leaf every time at 25 with our chosen AR - so yeah you get a zero
So you don't get that MPI
Then factor in PV
At range mils count
Just that 5 ml variation that you could have had from a mean group at 100 applied to a target at 300

Sorry been stuck here for about 30 mins trying to do the math applying 5 ml variation @ 25 to cm variation at 300
But Stellas in the blood

But you get my point - my AR always zero at 100

Maybe if some one showing interest in this could do a thread on this terminology ( I lack the time and inclination .....is there already 1 ? ) as I'm sure many are baffled lol
edit on 26-1-2012 by Neocrusader because: Auto correct

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Very true. The distances are shrunken to the point where previously perceptible measurements become imperceptible.

I used to zero like that, till a Marine got ahold of me. This fella cleans his house and finds guns he forgot he owned. That kind of gun nut, ya know? He has ceased to use inches or MOA or anything else in favor of what he calls "Minute of Bad Guy." MoBG means an AK bullet will land center mass within 300 yards. Anything else is just gravy.

Now I just stick a laser boresighter on it and be happy with what I got. I am not a long range shooter, more of an intermediate guy. It'll be a happy day when I can afford a quality Eotech magnifier because for my purposes it will be "one gun does it all"

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I don't know the regs. on gun purchase over in Ireland, but I'am curious enough to ask you about --- What are the gun regs. in Ireland?

The California legal AK-47, can be ordered from www.K-VAR.com

Thanks,

Erno86
edit on 27-1-2012 by Erno86 because: typo

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Rather than wait for either China or Russia to invade America, and rely on having to take an AK off a Chinese or Russian soldier....yes, it'd be nice to have an AK on hand before the invaders get here? No? Yes?

Don't procrastinate too long.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Shoot silently but carry a big stick............

Sons of Guns- Silenced AK-47 Test
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Seriously, though, Russia has a number of AK manufacturing plants established in Venezuela.

Not that I know it is true beyond a reasonable doubt, but I hear you can go down there and buy a crate full of the babies already made, with lots of reasonably priced ammo.

Just tell them Jose on the Border sent you.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erno86

I don't know the regs. on gun purchase over in Ireland, but I'am curious enough to ask you about --- What are the gun regs. in Ireland?

The California legal AK-47, can be ordered from www.K-VAR.com

Thanks,

Erno86
edit on 27-1-2012 by Erno86 because: typo

dont know the regs either

i think shotguns are easily obtained, handguns and revolvers im not so sure about. ak47's and other rifle's you can forget about them.

join