It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoying Intruding Advertisements in ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I decided to log on to ATS today just to see a big ad covering a portion of the thread titles with no way of closing the ad. as you can see on the following picture you will see an ad advertising some "50% off pink sale" stuff that I was not able to find any "x" button to close it nor was I able to drag that ad off the field view that I was trying to read effectively blocking the texts from the top two threads:

img.abovetopsecret.com...

I would like to know if any other member has experience similar inconvenience and what did you have to do in order to make sure this does not repeat it as my ISP is metered and I get charge by the MB (Megabytes), and if I have to refresh the page multiple times in order to get the ad to finally go away this takes away from my available bandwidth and/or ends up costing me more money in additional bandwidth.
edit on 12/1/24 by CanadaMaster because: added hyperlink to image as embeded image was not showing up or I was probably not formatting it correctly

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
What ad? All I see is a red "X" Your link doesn't work AND it looks like you have a serious problem with your avatar being too large. Your avatar alone may be costing you as much bandwidth as the ad you say you see.
edit on 1/24/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadaMaster

I've never seen an intruding ad here. So, I am not sure why you do. I use Firefox and have pop ups blocked. Maybe that's it?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
everything now is about money, thats the only thing keeping this site running anyway its not you or me...its the money generated by the ads

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
That particular ad looks to be annoying, I know the creativity of advertisers now to force ads that can't be closed until your browser refreshes is particularly aggravating.

However you must consider this, ATS has thousands of members and see's millions of users, so while it may be a a small inconvenience, it is not as bad as most other websites out there and to run a site as popular as this is not easy, nor is it free.

Personally I don't like ads, but I don't hold it against ATS for trying to pay the bills either so I can enjoy some good "Off-topic" conversation.

My recommendation is just to try and work around it if it happens again, but at least you have a frame of reference for ATS admin to look at if there are ads that are forcing you to click on them for them to go away; those I don't particularly agree with.

Good luck, but don't get too upset, it could be worse, you could be on Yahoo.

King

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
i had them once about quantem jumping or sumthing like that but they had the little x to get rid still too much in your face for me though.
what the hel is quantem jumping anyhow i was gona click on them but...if in dout stay the fluc out

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Here's a thought. Click the ad. That should make it go away. It will also provide some revenue for ATS. These servers aren't free ya know......

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Well if Google has their way its going to be like this all the time. But to answer your question, you might try using a different search engine like Statpage or Giburu they don't keep your IP address hope this helps you with the charges. That must suck, which is why it's not perfect but on public network.

new topics

top topics

join