It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would warrant Gun Control; Disarmament in the US?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I am watching CSPAN 2 "Libertarian State of the Union" and they are talking about the budget and how Obamas policies don't work but actually damage the economy. One of the gentleman made a comment that he thinks that maybe Obama would mention something about Gun Control during his state of the union address.

Then it occurred to me, what would warrant a full scale assault on gun ownership in the US and actually get people behind it?

Perhaps some sort of assassination attempt. Now I am not predicting this will happen soon or even under Obamas watch but what if?

Now come to think of it I was looking at a magazine on an airplane a few years ago and cut out an advertisement. I am not sure if I still have it or not maybe I will take a look. But it was an advertisement selling paintings I think and there were three presidents paintings on it. Lincoln, Kennedy and Obama.

So what you think ATS? Is this a possibility or not?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
They may want to disarm us, but NOTHING would ever justify it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I agree, but what would make people support it or get behind it?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
There's nothing in my mind that would make me disarm. The phrase "from my cold, dead hands" comes to mind.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by roaland

Agreed.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Nothing.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It's not so much the people that are alive right now; it's the people that come after us that we have to worry about. It's our kids in these schools that are brainwashing them to accept all this Big Brother crap and to love the government and the government will take care of you. One of the things I see being told to these kids over and over is that guns are bad and dangerous and that we should get rid of them as a society.
edit on 24-1-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Right now they are playing the 1984 Reagan State of the Union.
Man what happened?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
You could persuade a lot of people to back gun control using widespread school violence, particularly younger kids. Just look at the widespread legislative changes that were enacted after Virginia Tech and Columbine.

As for me, death is the only way I'll give up my guns.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Who knew George Orwell was psychic lol

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Well, i'm 4 thousand miles away and even i can tell you that ain't gonna happen.

If a Rifle behind every bush is enough to have made the Soviets think twice, there is no way in hell the politicians can achieve their dream of an un-armed defenseless population.

They would be the first to go methinks.

They will have to declare martial law and attempt to seize your weapons, and even if that did happen i don't see a successful outcome for their part.

Dead politicians, dead cops and some dead national guard. US people 1 - 0 Government

Cosmic..

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Absolutely nothing can imo.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
How did a liberal crack head ever get elected?

Me thinks there is a lot more dumb americans than we ever thought.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Ok for those interested in what he might say during the State of the Union, Gabrielle Giffords is attending. Here is a snippet of what to expect.

theweek.com...

4. Obama will have a chance to honor Gabrielle Giffords
Before stepping down from Congress to focus on her recovery from a near-fatal gunshot wound, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) will attend Obama's speech. "Obama last year delivered his State of the Union just weeks after the Tucson massacre and in the presence of victims' family members," says The Washington Post in an editorial. "Yet he, like so many politicians intimidated by the gun lobby's muscle, could not muster a single word about the need for reasonable gun control measures to ward off such violence in the future. Perhaps he will find the courage to speak up this year." It would make for a fitting prime-time tribute to Giffords before she leaves Congress.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Repeal of the 2nd Amendment? I think this was voiced in the first comments. For the Op, show what you thinbk warrants suspending the rights of the citizens of the U.S.? First question I have, are you a Citizen of the the U.S.?
If you are not,..take your argument elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

I don't think anything would warrant gun control.

Just to be clear.

I think there would need to be a major event to get people to support something that has been in bedded in this nation since birth and something as important as the 2nd amendment.

As mentioned earlier, I think there is an indoctrination of our youth, in which they are not teaching history the way they should be in our schools and that God help us, a whole generation of brainwashed youth could get behind such an act of treason.

And yes I am a proud US gun owning citizen.
edit on 24-1-2012 by thehoneycomb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
My advice to everyone....

Stop listening to people who say, "This could never happen here". They are not informed or they are intentionally misleading you. IT CAN HAPPEN HERE and in fact, IT ALREADY HAS!!

Case in point, look at New Orleans. In the wake of Hurricane Katrina and estimated 1/3 of Police (I suspect much higher) left their post and left the streets they were supposed to protect to the Criminals. Homeowners who did not evacuate and suddenly found themselves unprotected by the Local and Federal Government were forced to protect themselves. Many homes had made signs with big red letters that said, We are home, we have guns, we will shoot". Neighbors took it upon themselves to protect others in their own neighborhoods.

What happened when the Federal Government finally arrived several days later? They went door to door and disarmed everyone at gunpoint...and they got away with it.

So when you ask what would it take to disarm the US? I say all it would take is an emergency situation in which the Government can say, "We are doing this for the safety of the public" and there will be no shortage of people who will agree and give up their right to protect themselves in the hopes that Government will.

Edit to add: Here is something people may want to read on this very subject.
Remember New Orleans
edit on 24-1-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
when guns grow minds of their own and go rogue i guess

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
OK heres a timeline of how gun control laws have been amended.
One thing worth noting is the assassination of Kennedy and the gun control laws that followed.

www.infoplease.com...

Gun Control Act
The assassination of John F. Kennedy, who was killed by a mail-order gun that belonged to Lee Harvey Oswald, inspired this major revision to federal gun laws. The subsequent assasinations of Martin Luther King and presidential candidate Robert Kennedy fueled its quick passage. License requirements were expanded to include more dealers, and more detailed record keeping was expected of them; handgun sales over state lines were restricted; the list of persons dealers could not sell to grew to include those convicted of felonies (with some exceptions), those found mentally incompetent, drug users and more. The act also defined persons who were banned from possessing firearms.

The key element of this bill outlawed mail order sales of rifles and shotguns; Up until this law, mail order consumers only had to sign a statement that they were over 21 years of age for a handgun (18 for rifle or shotgun); it also detailed more persons who were banned from possessing certain guns, including drug users, and further restricted shotgun and rifles sales.

Read more: Federal Gun Control Legislation - Timeline — Infoplease.com www.infoplease.com...

Just one of many regulations.

new topics

top topics

join