It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Space hurricane' from the sun sweeping over our planet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

'Space hurricane' from the sun sweeping over our planet

www.msnbc.msn.com

A wave of charged particles from an intense solar storm is raising alerts about airline flights and satellite operations — and raising the prospect of stunning auroral displays.
The storm began when a powerful solar flare erupted on the sun Monday, blasting a stream of charged particles toward our planet. This electromagnetic burst — called a coronal mass ejection, or CME — started hitting Earth somewhere around 10 a.m. ET Tuesday..
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Before everyone starts debating whether or not this has anything to do with ridiculous "doom prophecies" of 2012, let me just quote the article where it says:

As powerful as it is, the storm should have no effect on daily life for most people.

This is due to the fact that the article also states:

Monday's solar flare set off an extremely fast-moving CME, but the ejected cloud of plasma and charged particles was not directly aimed at Earth and hit the planet at an angle instead. This glancing blow would likely lessen any impacts on Earth

So, 2013 is when the sun is supposed to meet its max solar irradiation point. This "solar hurricane" would suggest that the sun is, in fact, waking up and is starting to become more intense.

I, for one, am looking forward to this solar shower. Not sure if I will get to see any auroras tonight but I have had great luck in the past. I currently live in Virginia and it is quite uncommon to see them here but always a marvel when it happens. Usually, we get a vibrant and dark (although subtle) red aurora in our skies, as opposed to the famously photographed green and blue ones.

According to Wikipedia:

Red color is caused by nitrogen being bombarded with radiation from a solar flare.

en.wikipedia.org...(astronomy)
[Note: For some reason the parentheses are causing a conflict with ATS's input. So, if you click the wikipedia link you will also need to then click the (astronomy) link to visit the intended page.]

Any way, I thought I'd share this with everyone in the hopes that you all may get to witness this beautiful phenomenon.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24-1-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: Wikipedia link.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
very cool! The things that happen out there (space) always interest me.....

seeing as how i'm at a "high latitude" i'll be watching for those auroras; Something iv'e never seen yet.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Great news we are now having a space hurricane and it hasn't even hit the 12 of 2012 yet. Why all of a sudden is the sun acting so strange even if it isn't affecting everyday earth life. Hhhhhhhhmmmm still say this is not good.

edit on 24-1-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Wait... What?
They got "Space Hurricanes" now?
Crap!
Now I got two different kinds of hurricanes to worry about!

Well I'm off to plywood up the windows.
edit on 24-1-2012 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
They said this is the strongest storm we have had in 6 years. LIES ALL LIES!!!!! Their was 3 or 4 X class flares last years.
www.foxnews.com...

It would seem that they are just trying to scare people. ITS 2012 FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

If you don't want a tree to grow, don't plant the seed.

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

Before everyone starts debating whether or not this has anything to do with ridiculous "doom prophecies" of 2012, let me just quote the article where it says:
Why begin a conversation, about something that you don't want to discuss?

Just my opinion of course→ To me, it seems that by even mentioning the topic(regardless of which side of the fence you're on), you are only promoting it as a point for discussion.

edit on 1/24/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Gotta love the MSM and creative spin on words for headlines

Space Hurricane.

Nice thread,btw,just throw it in with the rest of them.

I forgot to add this link.

www2.nict.go.jp...
edit on 24-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Since when cannot the sun gave a SUN FART without causing mass hysteria amongst the human population?!?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
2012 is the beginning of a fabulous new age of knowing....celebrate YOU are here to experience this time, as such as time is.
It's not from the sun, the sun is merely a resistor in the pathway.
gravitor

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
They said this is the strongest storm we have had in 6 years. LIES ALL LIES!!!!! Their was 3 or 4 X class flares last years.
www.foxnews.com...

It would seem that they are just trying to scare people. ITS 2012 FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy ape evolution! NASA caught dead in it's lie.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
Since when cannot the sun gave a SUN FART without causing mass hysteria amongst the human population?!?

Something smells fishy about your post, hmmmmm.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The expert sounds to me like (in short terms), "We ain't seen nothing yet, wait till 2013". No we can be worry (not panic) and get ready. I don't know what else some people here need to open their eyes.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I wonder if this is why Perth is having its worst heatwave this week in 67yrs?

Thursday Max 41c
Friday Max 39c
Saturday Max 42c
Sunday Max 40c
Monday Max 40c
Tuesday Max 40c

* For reference, 37.7c is 100 degress F

www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I can verify that there is some skip on the Ham
radios. Its been more so as the day progressed.
I think Delta was being concerned with communications
more than anything so decided to change routes.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
solar storms happen literaly EVERY DAY
its just that they have been in greater numbers and intensity as of lately. but don't fear, the chances of a solar flare really hitting us and doing damage is the same as getting struck by lightning twice. it simply doesn't happen.
any solar flare directed towards earth is averted by the earths magnetic field anyway, blocking out most of the harmless parts. ever since that dumb nicholas cage movie people have been freaking out about solar flares, but don't worry.

lastly, from what i understand, the recent peak in solar activity is cause the sun is at a critical point in its life. Right now it's at its hottest, but it always gets the worst right before it gets better. After this shortlived phase the sun will enter it's cooling phase. If anything we should be more worried about what happens in 20-30 years as the sun begins cooling.

speculation also says that due to the sun cooling that venus might become a habitable planet some day. im still skeptical though, they also said there would be a colony on the moon by now, so we'll see.

well put. i loled
edit on 24-1-2012 by OGOldGreg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Gotta love the MSM and creative spin on words for headlines

Space Hurricane.

Nice thread,btw,just throw it in with the rest of them.

I forgot to add this link.

www2.nict.go.jp...
edit on 24-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

Kind of like how they make a big deal of random weather records.

"It reached 94 here in Chicago, that's the 3rd warmest July day in 3 years."

I was on the road today and expected problems with my radio reception but it was actually better than normal, picked up stations clearly that usually are static filled.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

If you don't want a tree to grow, don't plant the seed.

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan

Why begin a conversation, about something that you don't want to discuss?

Just my opinion of course→ To me, it seems that by even mentioning the topic(regardless of which side of the fence you're on), you are only promoting it as a point for discussion.

edit on 1/24/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

Because I don't people to think that my reason for posting this thread was to give validity to the 2012 Doom Prophecies. It would, of course, come up eventually and I wish not that people would associate me with the fear mongers.

I see you don't mind watering that seed though =)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Where did the mass hysteria even come from? I haven't seen any evidence to support that claim. The post clearly stated that it would not effect anyone's life. At most, the airport commands would have to slightly re-adjust.

The post is about appreciating the fact that we get to witness a beautiful aurora borealis. Not create fear.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Are you kidding me? Are you 12? This is NOT a big deal. Dont let the sensationlist journalism aka title "space hurricane" scare you. ATS is the biggest fearmongering terror site i have ever seen.

Originally posted by anthonygillespie2012
Great news we are now having a space hurricane and it hasn't even hit the 12 of 2012 yet. Why all of a sudden is the sun acting so strange even if it isn't affecting everyday earth life. Hhhhhhhhmmmm still say this is not good.

edit on 24-1-2012 by anthonygillespie2012 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join