It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google announces privacy settings change across products; users can't opt out

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Do Not Track Plus on ATS.COM

Ad networks
quantcast

Trackers
quantcast
Google Analytics
Comscore Beacon

so dont worry, even without google services, you will be watched ;-)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I posted earlier about my frustration with commercials and privacy but i've just found out that its been IE's fault all along!!

I'm now using Opera and Firefox to browse the Net and the are much more user friendly!!

No more IE for me.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The original meaning of "google" was "to watch intently" (think googly eyes).

These days, when running an online search of the etymology of the word "google", all you'll come up with is a result defining it as "an internet search engine".

Taking a closer look at the corporate logo itself, "Google", it becomes readily apparent that the double o ("oo") actually represents a pair of pervading eyes, and the "g" is a metaphor for a monocle. This is another variation of the all-seeing eye, the trademark of the Illuminati.

It is no surprise, really, to learn that Google is always watching.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
The only two Google services I use, are search and YouTube. I've never had any expectation of privacy, or for them to remotely do the right thing by me, from the word go.

They're a corporation. The fact that anybody is remotely shocked by this, simply demonstrates how naive you are.

Yes, they will record, extract, or otherwise obtain whatever information about you that they can, and sell it. They've almost certainly been doing that already, long before they made this statement.

Yes, they will control what you can or cannot upload, transmit, or otherwise express via YouTube, or whatever other service they own or run.

Yes, they will arbitrarily deny you access to their services or network whenever they feel like it, including (or especially) when doing such would cause your loss of access to valuable data.

And yes, they will capitulate, instantly and at a moment's notice, to any and all requests that government makes concerning you. If the government wants any element of your information, Google will hand it over. If the government wants a video or document you've uploaded, blocked, Google will block it. If the government wants a blanket blackout or lockdown of all of Google's services, Google will immediately provide it.

You have no rights with Google at all. They do not care about you in the slightest. You are a potential source of revenue (and information, which means more revenue) to them, and absolutely nothing more. The proverbial milch cow or blood bag.

Understand that; and understand that if you want a scenario where you have rights online, that Google's services, (or any centralised, corporate-run, Web-only abomination for that matter) are not something you should use.

If you want freedom, you need to exercise responsibility. This means learning to use the older protocols which exist, irrespective of their comparitive lack of superficial convenience. If you are not prepared to do this, then you deserve everything these corporations are willing to do to you, and you also do not deserve anyone's sympathy.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

You can do what I do sometimes, put in fake phone numbers, etc. The web sites are automated anyway, the software running just collects the data, so it doesn't care what you type in there. That's what I do when I don't want a site getting my personal data, altho I admit some of it might be somewhere. I don't think you can avoid all
data mining anyway, its everywhere.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm glad somebody posted about this, I wanted to but not on that level 20 yet. :p

Anyways, you guys can just not sign in with Google. It only colle ts your data when your logged in is how I read it. So create new bogus accounts or somethin. And if your paranoid you could just start a BBS (hope some of you get that lol)
edit on 29-1-2012 by ninjamikec because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

The youtube videos are not what makes this site great. I avoid them all completely as the insane waste of time they generally are - four paragraphs of information to a bad soundtrack and worse graphics do not a great video make.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
To the dark web I go. And if that still doesn't fetter my fancy for learning new things since the library has become a shambles, then off the internet I go.

Not gonna make a damn bit of difference to me.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
***snip***
I would be glad to see ad's for electronics, machines, lasers and video games, instead, I get "want to date a cougar?".
***snip***

That's because they have noticed what you search for.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Whenever a big cmpany says they are doing things to improce security, they are doing things behind the scenes for the government

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Anyone seen this?

Google paying users to track 100% of their Web usage via little black box

Google is working to collect information about Internet users that it can't get from just monitoring its own browser, services, and Android devices. The company has set up a new program called Screenwise, which offers money to users who install a black box on their home network to "measure Internet use." A smaller amount of money will go to those who install a browser extension on their computers that will do the same thing.

Google quietly started up the Screenwise data collection program Tuesday night, taking the e-mail addresses of people who are interested in "add[ing] a browser extension that will share with Google the sites you visit and how you use them." For their participation, Google offers the extension users a $5 Amazon gift card for signing up and another $5 gift card for every three months they stay with the program. Less publicly, Google also started looking for people who would install a piece of hardware on their network to do more extensive monitoring.

arstechnica.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Fisherr

Everybody should run as far away from Google as they can. You have been warned.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Meh I use Chrome and Youtube everyday. Let the government spy on me , I'm not a rat whose going to hide in the sewers because they want me to. I'll stand up to them and look them right in the eye and tell them to shove off if they ever decide to try there luck with me. I'm not going to stop using a browser because a few tyrants think they can stop me from downloading free music or movies. I'll fight to the end like a true patriot.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Yup classic corperation takeover there

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LurkerLegacy
no choice?

www.scroogle.org

theres always a choice.

I can't open scroogle at all, it opens a seach site from my ISP and search engines only turn up a 'scrapped' url.
Who is blocking scroogle, windows, my isp, or some hub somewhere?

XL5

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   
HolgerTheDane, however, I dont search for older women, russian women or how to make "it" 18 inches long.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
#uck google. I deleted a week ago some of my google accounts. A google rep sends me a instant message on my gmail and asks why am I deleting all my services. I explain I don't agree with their privacy policy and go in depth with the concerns. The rep, in turn, gets pissed and says "Google doesn't need people like you using their services". Granted, I did ask him how dare he interject via google talk about my decision to delete my accounts. Within 5 minutes every account that had google on it on my ISP was deleted.

Thanks Google. You saved me a hour by deleting 15 accounts.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join