It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google announces privacy settings change across products; users can't opt out

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
A friend of mine sent me this sent from his Google account...the count down begins!

One policy, one Google experience
We’re getting rid of over 60 different privacy policies across Google and replacing them with one that’s a lot shorter and easier to read. Our new policy covers multiple products and features, reflecting our desire to create one beautifully simple and intuitive experience across Google.

This stuff matters, so please take a few minutes to read our updated Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service now. These changes will take effect on March 1, 2012.

*.....and 99% OF YOU WILL COMPLY!
edit on 25-1-2012 by maestromason because: *addition

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

root your mobile and get root uninstaller then you can remove all the bloatware , spyware and things you dont need . it will free up mem , apps run faster , batt. lasts longer , also install adfree android gets rid of the ads .
rooting is quick and easy to do .

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by synnergy
Google sure is getting ballsy. Guess I have to go back to Firefox. So long Goog.

Same for me. I like Chrome because of the stripped down, fast browsing, but I'll be going back to FireFox.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Google is not trying to be evil here. I do not believe that Google is intentionally doing anything wrong or will use the data in a deceitful manner. The problem here is that the data is being stored. If the government was to demand that the data be handed over or the data fall victim to hackers, then we would have a problem.

The problem I have with this change has to deal with my search results. There are tools that I can use to get the search results I want (i.e. adding + or ""). Now they want to change the game (I would imagine that the "improved" search results would not be calculated in when those items are included in the search).

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64

Google sure is getting ballsy. Guess I have to go back to Firefox. So long Goog.

Same for me. I like Chrome because of the stripped down, fast browsing, but I'll be going back to FireFox.

You could try SRware Iron. Iron is basically Chrome with all the Google tracking garbage stripped out of it.

Srware Iron

On a different note, MAC address can be easily spoofed. In Windows it is a matter of a registry setting, and Linux has direct commands to do this. Also most NIC's have the ability to change it in their firmware, although that would not be as helpful, as the new MAC would be traceable to that NIC. Spoofing allows one to present a different MAC address to the network than what the NIC's firmware is programmed to.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I think we're already being tracked. I posted a reply on another thread here on ATS. I wanted to do some more research so I Google'd the subject. This was about 1/3 down the page of results:

Jessica Buchanan Somalia kidnapping is FAKE!, page 1www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread801776/pg1
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
11 posts - 5 authors - 19 hours ago
Jessica Buchanan is a fictional character on the soap series "One life to live"..... Look at the similarities. This pirate kidnapping story is a fake ...

So what's this???

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Thank god something like this would be easily exploited..Google is in full support of SOPA

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I wish that I found this news even mildly surprising. I remember when I used to have a youtube account, and then google bought youtube and eventually forced all of the users to use google accounts to access their youtube channels. Once signing up for the google account, all web activity was by default logged. At that point I deleted my account and have tried to stay away from everything related to this company.

Google seems to have a habit of getting people using their products and then changing the rules. This is not an honest practice in my opinion considering many of their users do not realise the fact that their web activity is being logged, and their privacy compromised.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I deleted my Google account this morning. It took me longer than the last time I did it because all the functions were changed around.
I'm now a happy member of mail.com, who do not seem to have a single issue with my username.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This is why I got out of the Google mainframe many months ago. Would I want someone at a Google office eavesdropping on my lifestyle? No. The idea is don't be evil, but evil is relative.

Too much information at the control of too few people. That's a monopoly evolving.

Has the public not been informed that Google is a CIA-helped organization? CIA having certain immunities, they could rip off private ideas straight out of passworded Google products, and the user not knowing about the rip-off until it's too late. And just imagine, if there was an investigation, our Google lifestyle being cut open and displayed, designed to assassinate your character in public, should you suddenly become hated by a political figure.

For example, Mr. Governor notices that you are interrupting the life of some of his organized criminal "friends", calling the police on their activites. They complain to Mr. Governor, he gets an investigation on your life, and Google is where you do your cyber living. Well all that privacy just went into the toilet. Now on paper from the legal government side, it looks like a typical investigation, but you know at home, you're being ruined and there's not much you can prove or do about it. Plus, Mr. Governor's organized criminal friends have an inside peek on your cyber lifestyle, and what do you suppose they are going to do about that, being who they are?

So that in a nutshell is why I just don't trust Google anymore. If a group doesn't trust me to go into their accounts and look around at business in their corporate offices, why would I trust them with mine?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Hmmmm, I just updated my Linux distro and the default is Firefox with DuckDuckGo...

Of course, one can always manually change the default, Startpage, DuckDuckGo, Scroogle, etc. are all available as addons.

I realize this is minor and not really the point of the big-picture...

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Mozilla and Google Agree to new 3 year deal

edit on 25-1-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

What gets me is how they are trying to pull people into using it, not realizing what it entails. What I mean is, the ongoing flak about Facebook, and all the issues they have, is causing many people to look for alternatives. However, if you look into Google+, for example, you find that signing up, with, one assumes, your actual name, etc, this will alter ALL of your Google-related accounts. meaning, if you have a YouTube account, and you do NOT use your real name there (who does?!?!?), then that would change. Suddenly, people that view your comments and videos have access to your real name. They are using the anger over Facebook, and the various privacy issues, to draw people in, but they are NO BETTER. In my opinion, it's deliberate. making people think they have a safer, more private system, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth. Of course, if I am correct, that means it's the same people/organization behind the whole thing.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Mozilla and Google Agree to new 3 year deal

The panic's over, people, Firefox will continue to have Google as its trusty default search engine. Mozilla has just revealed that it has come to a "mutually beneficial" revenue-sharing agreement with Google that will see the search engine appear on Firefox for at least the next three years

Ah, but with Firefox, you can change the default search engine. I have Firefox, and I use Ask. Simple to do, and no Google. Plenty of options to choose from, too. The default doesn't have to stay so.
Dont think that will work for you.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Wow.

Google is turning into the worlds largest spy agency

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scott495
Thats why I dont do anything google or apple

Disgusting companies

The Fed is stealing your money and Google/facebook is stealing your personal info and where is our elected Gov who is sworn in to protect us and ensure our freedoms and personal liberties are protected? jacking each other off behind closed doors in secret meetings with the money they get paid in donations from these lobbyists

Some of them are using some of these services to spy on people, and share things that are even private, if they are mentioned in them. Like the little FB page someone set up, to post EVERYTHING TO that includes his name, whether such posts were public or not. FB didn't bother to share that data, either.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I've decided to kill all my gmail accounts. Never did like the fact that I had to merge my youtube account with it.

What are the alternatives? Never heard of mail.com? Haven't used nor liked yahoo since the 90s. What is a good mail client that isn't going to catalogue all my private data for malicious purposes.

Granted, I'm not a big email person anyway these days, and I initially loved when I got gmail when it was invite only coming from hotmail. Google voice was a perk, but I've deleted that as well.

Any suggestions ATSers?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I just want to make a quick note that ATS also tracks you.
They use atleast 9 different trackers to do it. Including 3 from google.
ATS uses the following trackers:
Google Analytics
Google AdSense
Google +1
Kontera
Quantcast
ScoreCard Research Beacon
DoubleClick
Gorilla Nation
24/7 Real Media
edit on 26-1-2012 by cadric because: because it needed an edit...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

who in the world uses their real name online ?

never have used my real name online not about to start either. they will just have to accept my aliases.

names are dime a dozen

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ArchPlayer

mail.ru not too bad or mymail.ro theres several out there just takes bit of searching to find them

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by maestromason

Sooo...I guess reply's like Elf's is the reason you don't start threads here huh?
Understood.

After reading what happened after I left last night, I'm starting to think that maybe people don't actually read these threads. You think? I guess if I quoted myself and added more info just to bump the "real" problem to the tail of this thread it wouldn't really matter, right? And probably bumping your own post is frowned upon here. Being new here perhaps I don't know enough yet to say this ...but... I think this sight is worth it's weight in gold, but you have to see it that way to get rich from it! Since 1999? ...Holy. No wonder you're the 1%.

I've spent way to much time trying to figure out how to beat the "system" by chasing away internet bad guys. I have to admit, I feel a little silly about it now. It's been a long time wasted throwing pebbles at a T-Rex. But if there is a silver lining to be found, at least I was able to make a decent income from it. Think I better find another career, and quick.

Thanks for putting up the Google yada yada info though, Maestro, even as the 1%. >shrug<
Hope your enjoying your vacation, It sounds as if you've truly earned it.
And I'm not saying that sarcastically.

Be well ~

edit on 26-1-2012 by Tonya because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join