It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google announces privacy settings change across products; users can't opt out

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

MY "OFFICIAL" RESPONSE TO GOOGLE:

Google product your story is about:: Other

Please tell us your story about this product:: What I like most about Google now, since it has opted into becoming an official TOOL of the coming "Police State" is that I can SO EASILY "opt out" of ever using it again to search for ANYTHING. I shall DEFINITELY be telling ALL of my friends about this. As if you weren't intrusive enough and spying on us all already... WOW!

What do you like best about this product?: That I don't HAVE an iPhone and therefore don't even HAVE to officially opt out of anything.

How did you hear about it?: Unofficial channels that speak the truth.

Can we ask you a few more questions about yourself?: No

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Google is separate from firefox. Its not bundled into the program, simply the main default search, but you can set yahoo as the main in the firefox options. I won't be using google if it does this.

I don't like passwords and crapola. As for giving them a constant nonstop piece of my mind, I'd do that if I could.
edit on 25-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I just checked NASA WorldWind as a potential replacement for Google Earth, but no joy. It apparently can't be made to work in Windows 7, even with compatibility settings. I checked them all, and none would allow it to function. Bummer. I'm going to miss those programs.

ETA: I finally got to to work - sort of - by setting it to "run as administrator". I'm checking into MapSphere now, which may be a better option.

edit on 2012/1/25 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I signed up here just to say that this worries me. I use google for most everything, and have had gmail since 2006. I'm starting to wonder if it's time to cancel everything, but I was speaking with a techie friend of mine this morn who warned me that even if I close my account now, there may be information out there on me anyway when a search comes up.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
What's the big deal? Just create a sock-puppet account.
/thread.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Now with this sh-t with google, if I was CEO of Yahoo and because they so need to get back in the game. This is what I would do:

1. Offer full opt-out options of the same services that google offers. Meaning, no tracking or collecting for the user of the Yahoo services (similar to what google offers), including mobile.

2. If you opt in, and due to the opt in revenue for Yahoo and because of my awesome CEO skills.. I would have a system created to where all opt in users will receive credits and these credits can be applied to purchase whatever you want on the net... Create a give back process that truly is dollar worthy to the users.

The results would be:
1. Happy users who feel there aren't any digital or satellite eyes tracking them..
2. If there are eyes on your whereabouts digitally and physically (gps), then it was your choice and you will get paid for it..
3. It will all be your choice as the user.

My slogan would be: Accessing the world, on your terms.. Yahoooooooooooooooo!!!

OR
slogan 2: We don't give a s h - t what you do, if you want us to, we will... Yahoooooooooo!!!

The focus of our new Yahoo would be user privacy rights with full disclosure. (you have access to reports on how your data was used and who viewed it.) seriously, this is so possible…. My goal would be to maintain and create new revenue streams, but with a major twist as mentioned above…

In my own make believe world this would be the case.

Would that attract you to use Yahoo again or for the first time? It would me.

I'm feeling for the underdog now I guess. Whomever said it, yep, google is a monster now.

Later my friends...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LurkerLegacy
no choice?

www.scroogle.org

theres always a choice.

Yes you are correct...there is always a choice. Just make sure when you make your choice that your info does not end up in the hands of China!

Or worst...

An American company who is selling information to the Chinese!.

Do your homework people and just do not jump ship for the first search engine that is suggested to you!

*It ALWAYS pays to think first!
edit on 25-1-2012 by maestromason because: *addition

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The only thing that has changed is they have come out and admitted this...if you guys think ANYTHING you do on the net is not logged and tracked , your fooling yourself...thats right, there are NO workarounds, no this site is totally private so I use it, NO I use proxies or some super duper firewall thingy...you are not anonymous. Its 95% to the point now that all phones are either IOS or Android. Palm is gone and Blackberry will fall next. Windows is a joke and will be on like 2 phones till it dies off as well. So if you use a phone at all or get on the web, everything is being kept, now I doubt most of this is really for anything "bad" but if you use the web is any way, your being data mined. They dont care who you are most the time, just what your habbits are plain and simple. I know its evolved quite a bit, but in the end, the internet was invented by the US Military Industrial Complex, dont forget that and dont underestimate how much control they really do have over this system. But most you guys are nothing to TPTB, do you think they really care what some guy calling himself warlock and thinks hes internet famous for some youtube vids living in his moms basement does every day? Really? They see us all as cash cows, and they just want to get trends to figure out how to make any money they can, thats it. Except for you terrorist anti american types, they are watching you...heh

And to think I was about to trade in the old Iphone 3gs for a new Android in the next couple of months...seems we are out of options as Microsoft=bad , Google=bad, Apple=bad. Who have I left off as this pretty much covers the majority of the computers\phones and web in some way.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Everyone on here should know that when you use gMail or Youtube or any other google search device....DON'T PUT IN YOUR REAL INFORMATION! Use a proxy when you can and if you do this, then the elites will be data-mining in a poisoned mine.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Horrible choice by google.
Anyone have any good email alternatives to google mail?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Really wishing i had not just bought 2 android phones and an android tablet. Seriously, i am beginning to think of just getting rid of all of it. I turn all of my background data stuff off, and i dont use their mail ,however i had to create an account when signing into android, but i never have anything sent to it, so it will be pretty boring the data they get from me.

All of these corporations do underhand things with governments, i just wish i knew which provider was the worst and which the best, perhaps i should just do away with a mobile all together. Or find a pre 2002 model where all this crap is not all over them.

Why cant Linux make a phone? Open source phone lol, there's an idea!.
edit on 25-1-2012 by brommas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

A lot of people do not know about proxy servers and tunneling and other secure ways of routing data through the big brother network.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by needlenight

Write a hand-written letter.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sorgmodig
Too bad no other search engine is as good as Google's. Too bad no other video uploading service is as good as google's. Too bad no other emailing service is as good as google's.

Say's the guy who works for google...!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by maestromason

It WOULD help save the Post Office from going down the drain. Better still, help feed Alexander Bell's descendants and make a phone call

I don't know why people are so freaked out about this. Walk down any street in a major metro area and start counting the cameras. You have no privacy in this world anymore, whether you're indoors or out. Don't like Google because of this? Use another search engine or just stop using the computer altogether.

I'm just curious, but all of you who have issues with Google gaining this information for marketing purposes, do you have a web cam? And if so, do you also have issues with YOUR image being streamed across the web?

Just asking.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
DAMN IT!

I am already being forced to use Google+ in April because they acquired the online editing site i have used for years on Flickr. Nope, now it's on Google+ and will be gone completely from Flickr in April. I CAN"T stand how google wants to connect everything, like FB.

I dont even use my google mail because it sucks and half my mail doesn't go thru because Google considers it spam! WHY can't I decide what is spam! I do not like the Droid and how they have everything you type in that phone on record, really creeped me out.

Ahhhh great now I need to find a new site for editing and the whole youtube change sucks too. I'm tired of these sites saying its for marketing or whatever and it's really to monitor what you are doing online and if you are a threat. It's BS.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
People questioning how sites like Google or even Facebook make so much money by offering a free service don't seem to understand the concept of ad revenue. Company A pays Website B to host ads. They pay for those ads regardless of whether or not anyone clicks on them. But the thing is, tens of millions of people visit these sites daily, and a large corporation like, say, Apple, will pay millions of $$$$$$$ to have their ads shown to millions and millions of people. When you add up all of the giant corporations who are doing it as well, it translates to hundreds of millions of dollars into Google. I rarely click on ads, but when I do it's usually a well designed, non-malicious looking ad for something I already recognize but would like to know more about. That's all it takes for companies to keep paying for ads. People do click on ads. And when they track their statistics, they can see the demographics of who clicked them the most. Then you have YouTube which hosts ads in their videos. I almost always skip these, but I have sat through a couple of 5 minute movie trailers, then Googled the movie and learned more about it, which in turn put my butt in a theater seat to watch it. This business model of advertising works. Everybody wins. Google gets big bucks from ad revenue, the companies get their product exposed and the consumer gets to enjoy websites for free.

That said... I don't agree with my personal info being mined and kept against my will.
edit on 1/25/2012 by OrphenFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Originally posted by Zaanny
Google is a MONSTER

Google trades today @ 580 dollars a share

Now correct me if I am wrong, but other than a SEARCH engine, what TANGIBLE product does google produce other than selling the data they receive...

Gmail
Google Earth
Google Maps
Google Docs
Google Calendar
Photo hosting
Blogger
YouTube

Those are just the ones I use everyday.....

ETA: ad revenue is their cash cow, which of course goes hand-in-hand with data mining----so they can sell to you better. Not so they can be a data funnel for the government (as if the government needed anyone to do that for them, or needed an agreement to take that data from Google if they wanted it).
edit on 24-1-2012 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

Okay, so even if you use a different search engine, if you access those google sites, which many of us do, you can also be traced? After watching tru tv and the forensics involved with data recovery on computers and cell phones etc, I don't think anything is a secret anymore.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

Originally posted by maestromason

It WOULD help save the Post Office from going down the drain. Better still, help feed Alexander Bell's descendants and make a phone call

I don't know why people are so freaked out about this. Walk down any street in a major metro area and start counting the cameras. You have no privacy in this world anymore, whether you're indoors or out. Don't like Google because of this? Use another search engine or just stop using the computer altogether.

I'm just curious, but all of you who have issues with Google gaining this information for marketing purposes, do you have a web cam? And if so, do you also have issues with YOUR image being streamed across the web?

Just asking.

What it would do is get your message through without the prying eyes of the government cronies. Goes to show how much you know about privacy in general. I have plenty of privacy.

I hand-write letters.

I PHYSICALLY go visit people I need to talk to.

Whenever I make a purchase it is made in CASH.

I do not worry about the internet or cameras for all of my internet traffic is encrypted and properly routed. I DO NOT USE GOOGLE for my research needs. I OWN A VERY VAST HOME LIBRARY WITH THINGS CALLED BOOKS.

I was raised to be self-sufficient and not to depend on people or services to do what I need done. I belong to a generation whose birth certificates DO NOT GET PROCESSED before being archived for the US Census Bureau.

The only thing funny is your level of being ignorant.

jyfi... his proper name is Alexander Graham Bell you should have at least spelled the man's name properly...after all he did invent and patent a technology that enables you to communicate world wide.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
My god..
a company is trying to make money?!!

lulz.

erm, anyhow, I use www.ixquick.com... for my search engine. the rest, meh, let google know I like video game and conspiracy videos on youtube. If I for some reason really want to remain private for awhile, I can go on one of many many different open proxy's...but honestly, ad's don't bother me that much. Hell, sometimes they can be slightly helpful (more often, not though)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join