It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google announces privacy settings change across products; users can't opt out

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

It's an error to think that something must be tangible to be of value.

Google sells adspace and makes web services to deliver those ads. Google's "boss" is basically the businesses who are advertising on their websites. It's a huge market!

I am very against being unable to opt out, and as I look into this more, I may find myself signing up for another email service even if it causes inconvenience. Didn't we all know it would happen sooner or later? They get people 'hooked' on their services and than pull the 'gotcha'...

But, we have options, and we're prepared to use them. See ya!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
One more reason not to use a smart phone. Your worried about RFID? You all ready have one and its 1000 times more power full. Its in your pocket.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

Originally posted by Zaanny
Google is a MONSTER

Google trades today @ 580 dollars a share

Now correct me if I am wrong, but other than a SEARCH engine, what TANGIBLE product does google produce other than selling the data they receive...

Gmail
Google Earth
Google Maps
Google Docs
Google Calendar
Photo hosting
Blogger
YouTube

Those are just the ones I use everyday.....

ETA: ad revenue is their cash cow, which of course goes hand-in-hand with data mining----so they can sell to you better. Not so they can be a data funnel for the government (as if the government needed anyone to do that for them, or needed an agreement to take that data from Google if they wanted it).
edit on 24-1-2012 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

You forgot "android" based phones.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

No, not sure about the flash. Here is a link of Public Proxys. They change IP's from time to time to keep things moving. I wonder if google has blocked anonymous users, but there are ways around that in the other thread from BadFish.

Public Proxy List

edit on 24/1/12 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by synnergy
Google sure is getting ballsy. Guess I have to go back to Firefox. So long Goog.

Mozilla and Google Agree to new 3 year deal

The panic's over, people, Firefox will continue to have Google as its trusty default search engine. Mozilla has just revealed that it has come to a "mutually beneficial" revenue-sharing agreement with Google that will see the search engine appear on Firefox for at least the next three years

Dont think that will work for you.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I'm deeply disturbed by this growing trend of not being able to use X service if you don't go through Y service that seems to be popping up more and more lately. And them all sharing your information. I purchased jewelry online a few weeks ago and to do it I had to have a Yahoo (and no other) email? What the hell? Then last year my AT&T email was automatically switched to Yahoo as well without a so much as a nevermind....no choice there if you use AT&T as your ISP. And on many websites you can't even leave a comment without going through one of the listed social networks or (I believe, if memory serves) email providers.

This is all crap. And now Google Monster's taking it a step further. Partnering is one thing, but leaving us no other choices? Well they lose my business. All the more reason to stay away from the Google monopoly-building activities. Too bad too few will.

edit on 1/24/2012 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Originally posted by synnergy
Google sure is getting ballsy. Guess I have to go back to Firefox. So long Goog.

Mozilla and Google Agree to new 3 year deal

The panic's over, people, Firefox will continue to have Google as its trusty default search engine. Mozilla has just revealed that it has come to a "mutually beneficial" revenue-sharing agreement with Google that will see the search engine appear on Firefox for at least the next three years

Dont think that will work for you.

Oh, the irony.... Search with FF and get ads for Chrome.

link   
Couldn't a really good attorney get a class action law suit filed that would charge Google, Facebook, Android, and any other corporation that does this with cyber stalking?
I guess it would violate the Terms and Conditions people signed where they agreed to allow this to happen though.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
One more reason not to use a smart phone. Your worried about RFID? You all ready have one and its 1000 times more power full. Its in your pocket.

They have RFID in bank/credit cards, passports, cars... the list goes on and it's rather disturbing when I think about it. There is no escaping this unless you're able to completely take yourself off the grid and I know I'm personally not prepared to do that yet

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I dont click on ad's no matter how relivant they are to me.

nobodys making anyone click on ad's and buy things here are they?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Crud!!! Now where to go?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Great thread.

I use Google search, Google Maps and YouTube, but none of the other ones. Are there good alternatives to Google Maps and YouTube?

I like the idea of suggesting alternatives.

GoodSearch is a search engine that donates to causes when people use it.

Of course, the video is a YouTube.

edit on 1/24/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I smell litigation. If you have an android based phone and bought it before the privacy change (like me) then they give you no choice but to opt out? Isn't that changing the terms of a signed contract (provided you do have one) since you have no choice but to have a google account?

At the very least they might let you out of a cellular contract. I agree, there's some up and coming attorney that's gonna have the fight of his life taking on Google.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by netwarrior

I'm sure the fine print says something like: "We are allowed to change the terms of this contract at any time and you can't do a thing about it."

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Oh noses!
Come on people... If you don't want to get "tracked" just don't use their services.

Pay for your own e-mail (domain name, web hosting) and host all the services you want to use yourself, lots of free software available out there, and don't come here crying... "They are evil !"

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I use Google Maps a lot on my phone for directions, and they make Google my default browser/homepage even though I change it periodically but oddly enough it always resorts back to Google. It never used to bother me but I'm going to start researching some alternatives and do my best to make sure that Google gets the least amount of ad revenue from my web browsing.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Of course, the video is a YouTube.

Well you only have two options in this forum software...
youtube or google vids

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

I don't think it's as easy as you make it sound. As other members have mentioned, Google has many affiliates and many of us use their services without even knowing it.

I'm open to suggestions though.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

No. Not noses. Increasingly, there is no alternative. That's the problem. It's a monopoly of megaproportions in the making. The companies do attempt to keep everything they own now low-key by keeping the old brands and just taking hold under the covers, but believe me, they're all partnering and sharing, and in a way that is of little benefit to us or our privacy.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
no choice?

www.scroogle.org

theres always a choice.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join