It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Delta reroutes planes following massive solar eruption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Delta reroutes planes following massive solar eruption

www.foxnews.com

Radiation from an immense solar blast hit the Earth Tuesday -- forcing Delta Air Lines to redirect at least half a dozen airplanes that had been routed over the North Pole.

NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center -- the nation’s official source of warnings about space weather and its impact on Earth -- issued a geomagnetic storm warning Monday after a satellite witnessed an ultraviolet flash from the massive solar eruption.

There is no risk to people on Earth, Doug Biesecker of the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center told FoxNews.com.

But as a rare precaution, some polar flights
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I hope this is newsworthy. The article says that there is no risk and they're probably right but I recall various threads talking about the upcoming solar flares.

They say they did it to avoid the loss or radio communication, and to keep passengers away from excessive radiation. I have never heard of this before so perhaps it's more common than I'm aware of.

It's "nearly" an X class flare which is said to be the strongest kind so I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members will come along to clear things up.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Makes sense to me, from a practical standpoint at least. Charged particles are brought in by the magnetosphere at the polar regions and excessive charged particles can hamper radio communications as well as increase radiation levels above the standard "safe" levels.

link   
It was just a little M class.

There has never been a plane lost over the N Pole from solar activity. Just like there has never been a plane lost from cell phones or electronics. This is just a best practice to mitigate risk and keep insurance costs down.

link   
It was just a little M class.

There has never been a plane lost over the N Pole from solar activity. Just like there has never been a plane lost from cell phones or electronics. This is just a best practice to mitigate risk and keep insurance costs down.

link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

We know, www.abovetopsecret.com...
. This was the biggest CME (M class) event since 2005, a borderline X class flare, but nothing to fear as far as loss of power grids and communications is concerned. Just to be on the safe side, all polar flights were rerouted.
edit on 24-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I don't see any threads about planes being rerouted but there sure are lots of solar flare threads

Mods, if you feel this is a duplicate or in the wrong section please do your thing.
edit on 24-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
No not at all its a different topic.

While it is the largest M class in a long time, we had a couple X class flares last year so the writer was very misleading.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

I noticed that the writer of the OP article was misleading too since it said it was an X class when it appears to have been an M class due to the member feedback in this and other threads. That's what I get for using FOX News as a source right?

top topics

join