It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flavored Pasta

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I've been making pasta like a mad man lately, combining with different sauces and stuff. I love to experiment and I've never heard of this but can you flavor your pasta? Whenever you're mixing your flour eggs salt oil, if i was to add rosemary, thyme, sage, anything like that would it make a difference?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Yes you can add flavors by adding ingrediants to your pasta as you make it, Squid ink being the most popular in "Cutting Edge" bistros and and the like.
I just dont se why this thread is on a conspiracy site.

link   
reply to post by blair56

Yes you most definitely can. One trick i used to do in Culinary School is to make your pasta dough normally, then before you put it into the cutter, roll it out flat into strips about 4" or so wide (enough to fit into the cutter) and flatten it. Then make two of those. Take whole fresh herbs/ whole leaf and place them on one of the pasta sheets you just rolled flat and make it stick with a dab of water/flour, then just place the other pasta sheet on top of it with a dab of water and lightly roll it so it sticks together but so the herb leaf doesn't loose its shape. Just put it into the cutter to make your pasta and let it dry. It will look nice on a plate and have an unbelievable taste, even without sauce lol

link   
Of course you can flavor your pasta, with anything you want. I bought some pasta back from Italy, Mini Farfalle Pumpkin, They're so good. My Family are from Sicily, they make all kinds of Pasta. Food is about experimenting, go for it and fun....

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NHLibertarian

I just dont se why this thread is on a conspiracy site.

Because it's in the "food" forum. We're a discussion site, not everything is a conspiracy.

Adding a bunch of herbs and spices adds a nice visual to a dish as well as varying the flavors.
edit on 24-1-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
What about spinach ?

Thats an excellent addition to pasta and one of the great green leafy veggies that are very healthy as well.

Bon Apetit !

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Fantastic!! i didn't know if it would mess up the pasta dough or something. I've been growing a nice garden for a couple of years now and been making my own herbs de provence, so that'll be my first spice to add. thanks a lot ya'll.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by blair56
I've been making pasta like a mad man lately, combining with different sauces and stuff. I love to experiment and I've never heard of this but can you flavor your pasta? Whenever you're mixing your flour eggs salt oil, if i was to add rosemary, thyme, sage, anything like that would it make a difference?

Yes do it!! Add them!!

I cook A LOT of pasta

I do add herbs and I have added spinach. When you add herbs or spinach mix all ingredients in a food processor. Then once it's mixed turn it onto a table and go from there with the kneading process.

The amount of herbs or spinach you add is basically preference on how much you want to flavor your pasta. I make a small serving of pasta and I add about 2tbs and that makes 4 small servings of flavored pasta.

When I got my pasta maker I immediately made spinach fettucini! I have also put basil and parsley in my lasagna noodles.

Add anything of flavor to your pasta!!

I have a few threads in the cooking forum on pasta's I have made, none are flavored but one is my bow tie pasta recipe. I love bow tie pasta but it does take a lot of time to make enough pasta for 2 people lol It's definitely art!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Fantastic!! i didn't know if it would mess up the pasta dough or something. I've been growing a nice garden for a couple of years now and been making my own herbs de provence, so that'll be my first spice to add. thanks a lot ya'll.

Have you ever made bread?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I have a few threads in the cooking forum on pasta's I have made, none are flavored but one is my bow tie pasta recipe. I love bow tie pasta but it does take a lot of time to make enough pasta for 2 people lol It's definitely art!

Get some Pinking Shears...it speeds up the process immeasurably! I bought a ravioli cutter when I got my pasta maker, used it once and gave it away...scissors or especially the pinking scissors are far better and you get the fancy edge at the same time without extra faffing needed. Or, another good trick is to use square cookie cutters, which also give the fancy edge, and they're great for making big raviolis too. If you keep a made up batch of dough in the freezer and roll it out when it is only just defrosted, I find that it is that much easier to work with and you get that nice glossy finish, rather than the doughy-pastry texture that can get slimy when you cook it.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biliverdin

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Get some Pinking Shears...it speeds up the process immeasurably! I bought a ravioli cutter when I got my pasta maker, used it once and gave it away...scissors or especially the pinking scissors are far better and you get the fancy edge at the same time without extra faffing needed.

My ravioli maker is actually pretty awesome and the attachment is simple and easy to use. I don't need any shears because the edge is decorative and if I want something else I use a fondant imprint roller

If you keep a made up batch of dough in the freezer and roll it out when it is only just defrosted, I find that it is that much easier to work with and you get that nice glossy finish, rather than the doughy-pastry texture that can get slimy when you cook it.

Never had a problem with slimy pasta. If you haven't read my threads I cook a lot of pasta. If it's slimy then it's not been made properly and it wasn't stored properly while frozen. If it gets slimy that isn't a good sign.

When I take pasta dough out of the freezer or fridge I always re-knead it a little to get the dough "moving" again or back in pasta making form! I add flour and some olive oil by hand while kneading the dough again. I do it til it's the right elastic consistency to roll and cut the pasta.

This is the ravioli attachment I have and it's pretty easy and if you mess this one up than you just shouldn't be making pasta! lol

Marcato Ravioli
I have this one and it works great! I haven't decided if I want to use crab and goat cheese or just make regular cheese ravioli lol.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Well there you go, time is obviously not an issue for you as it is for some of us. Some eat to live, others live to eat. I fall into the former.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biliverdin

Well there you go, time is obviously not an issue for you as it is for some of us. Some eat to live, others live to eat. I fall into the former.

Yea time isn't an issue for sure. I don't have kids and my fiancee lives overseas. I get bored and literally make pasta all day lol I actually pulled my back making bow tie pasta last year lol I think it was the combo of bread, lasagna and bow tie making that I did over the course of a few days. I made about a dozen lasagnas lol now that noodle process is a pain and very time consuming.

I have looked at options to freeze already made pasta for longer periods of time. I am probably going to make a ton of pasta and stock up when my fiancee comes home in April since he wants to learn how to make it too. Then I can freeze if for 6mths which is nice. I can also make ravioli and freeze them so all I have to do is boil or bake it while frozen.

I'm sure one day my time will be limited and my mad pasta making days will be numbered lol

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

www.cutleryandmore.com...

just got this yesterday, was thinking of making a filling of chicken, spinach, and ricotta.

have any other suggestions for fillings?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

just got this yesterday, was thinking of making a filling of chicken, spinach, and ricotta.

A few that I did in my restaurant:

Pumpkin and sage, I garnish this with brown butter and a grated amaretto cookie and some pecorino.

Shrimp and ricotta. Use a light red sauce or a white wine based sauce.

Lobster and ricotta with a champagne sauce.

Crab, homemade bread crumbs and scallions in a butter and poppy seed sauce.

You are only limited by your imgagination.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Lobster and ricotta with a champagne sauce.

o man, it's on now

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
great food.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
My favorite recipe for pasta is real simple, really quick and really cheap.

Garlic
parmesan cheese

Cut the garlic in small rings (~3mm wide) fry them in oil until they get golden.

Put with some of the oil on the pasta and grind parmesan cheese over it. and finished, you can eat it.

the royals of monacco used to eat this regulary.

Another one is a bit different.

tomato paste
2 Tomatoes
3garlic pieces
300g of beef
ssamjang ( a korean sauce)
1 green pepper

peel the tomatoes and mince, mince the garlic and pepper.

Fry the beef until its all nice and crumbly, add everything at once (1 spoon of tomato paste and ssamjang) maybe add some water and cook until its a bit thick.

Add pepper, salt, and some MSG and finished.

pour it over the pasta and enjoy a divine dinner.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I use olive oil and garlic as a starting point and go from there.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Inesophet

I love your first recipe I believe that's called Aglio e Olio in Italy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join