It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US marine pleads guilty over Haditha killings

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnySasaki
What is the difference between what happened here, and some fighter pilot missing his target with a bomb and hitting a hospital filled with a bunch of children?

There were many cases like that, with one taking place (I believe) in Denmark, where an Allied pilot accidentally killed a bunch of kids.

And since you are asking about the difference, I have a fairly precise answer to this, which comes from a lawyer I personally know. The difference is the INTENT. That pilot mistook the smoke from a prior crash for the pathfinder and dropped his bombs. When the US Marines discovered women and children inside the building, there was not much to be confused about.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

The difference is the INTENT.

I know what intent means, and I'm simply stating that not only can nobody prove the intent of either case, but in the end, what does it really matter anyway? In both cases, no matter what the intent, the civilians are still dead.

On top of that, innocent people are killed all the time by marines on the ground, with varying intent, so why are we just hearing about this one?

All you're doing is teaching the marines that if you want to kill someone and get away with it, make it look like an accident. Then prosecute all the guys who are scared of getting shot or ambushed and start shooting in what they thought was self defense.

With that being said, I realize that it's very possible that these guys were just pissed off and ran into a random building intending to kill all the people inside no matter what out of revenge for their friend dying. That, I understand, is wrong, and should be punished. I'm just simply stating the other side of the argument, and that we don't know for sure what happened.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I'm shocked that this kid got off.....

He defended his order to raid homes killing 24 unarmed civilians in Haditha as a necessary act "to keep the rest of my Marines alive."

Wuterich admitted he ordered is squad to "shoot first, ask questions later"....I had zero clue that's what they're teaching our soldiers today....

From one of the survivors...
"I was expecting that the American judiciary would sentence this person to life in prison and that he would appear and confess in front of the whole world that he committed this crime, so that America could show itself as democratic and fair," said survivor Awis Fahmi Hussein, showing his scars from a bullet wound to the back.

www.huffingtonpost.com... 6pLid%3D130192

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Actually, all of Jack Nicholson's lines in the following video roughly explain what I'm talking about.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This happens if you incite kids with propaganda, put them in a warzone and drill them to accept a warped moral compass.

Here is a video in which the great Robert Fisk describes, how the soldiers creed was changed under Rumsfeld

By joining the military, you remain responsible for your actions. But when pressured to fight in an unclear warzone, crimes like this will happen. There is also not much difference to this crime and the killings committed by an operator who sits in his office and directs a predator drone with his joystick. Of cause the sentence is a joke, but the military machine wants more soldiers to grease its gears.

The true criminals are the men who sit in Washington DC. Men who lift the pen and sent the soldiers in unnecessary wars. Regardless which administration is in office, the true criminals are protected by the state.

The latest Corbett Report is about the inevitability of atrocities in times of war (podcast, length 50 min).
www.corbettreport.com...

Glenn Greenwald wrote a fine opinion piece about the distortions of the US justice system
Rules of American justice: a tale of three cases
edit on 25-1-2012 by Drunkenshrew because: added corbett report link

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
The Warrior Ethos Soldiers Creed Today...

U.S. Soldier's Creed

I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team.
I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values.
I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.
I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

The Soldiers Creed as was...

Pre 2003 Version of U.S. Soldier's Creed

I am a member of the United States Army – a protector of the greatest nation on earth.

Because I am proud of the uniform I wear, I will always act in ways creditable to the military service and the nation it is sworn to guard.

I am proud of my own organization. I will do all I can to make it the finest unit in the Army.

I will be loyal to those under whom I serve. I will do my full part to carry out orders and instructions given to me or my unit.

As a soldier, I realize that I am a member of a time-honored profession—that I am doing my share to keep alive the principles of freedom for which my country stands
No matter what the situation I am in, I will never do anything, for pleasure, profit, or personal safety, which will disgrace my uniform, my unit, or my country.

I will use every means I have, even beyond the line of duty, to restrain my Army comrades from actions disgraceful to themselves and to the uniform.

I am proud of my country and its flag.
I will try to make the people of this nation proud of the service I represent, for I am an American Soldier.

See the difference.

Cosmic..

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join