It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yawning

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by imnothereru

fus-roh-dah!!!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by imnothereru

I read another theory once....which was WAY out there, but an interesting take none the less...that yawning was a demonic form of communication. In other words, those who yawn are under demonic influence. God, I hope not, because I yawn. But it sounds like the makings of a great horror flick!
reply to post by Gseven

omg i just yawned am i under demonic influence !!!

I don't know, but if you are, you're in good company!

Some cultures lend yawning spiritual significance. The Ancient Greeks and classic Maya believed that yawning was a sign that a person's soul was trying to escape from his or her body. Covering the mouth when yawning might then prevent the soul from escaping.[37] Exorcists believe that yawning can indicate that a demon or possessive spirit is leaving its human host during the course of an exorcism.[38] Several superstitions have developed regarding the act of yawning and the harm that the act can do to the individual who is yawning. These superstitions may not only have arisen to prevent people from committing the faux pas of yawning loudly in another's presence (one of Mason Cooley's aphorisms is "A yawn is more disconcerting than a contradiction."), and in 1663 Francis Hawkins advised "In yawning howl not, and thou shouldst abstain as much as thou can to yawn, especially when thou speakest",[39] but may also have arisen from concerns over public health. Polydore Vergil (c. 1470–1555), in his De Rerum Inventoribus, writes that it was customary to make the Sign of the Cross over one's mouth, since "alike deadly plague was sometime in yawning, wherefore men used to fence themselves with the sign of the cross...which custom we retain at this day."[40] Yawning is often considered rude due to the implication of boredom, and may even lead to penalties for contempt of court.[41] George Washington said "If You Cough, Sneeze, Sigh, or Yawn, do it not Loud but Privately; and Speak not in your Yawning, but put Your handkerchief or Hand before your face and turn aside."[42]

Source: Wikipedia on the "yawn"

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Just thinking of yawning makes me yawn.

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by xacto

Yawning = agreeing with one's own, or another's thought, based off our intuitive judgment. I can't tell you how many times ive thought "Hmm, i bet she want's to sit in a different position" referring to my friend's Dog. She'll yawn, and then 5 seconds later readjust her seating.

So "yawning = agreeing with one's own thoughts or another's thoughts"??

While trying to grasp this silly idea, I "yawned" quite a few times.

So my "HYPOTHESIS" that is "meant to be tested by you" is complete.

CONCLUSION: Yawning = providing the body more oxygen... or in the case of the thread, being bored by extreme silliness.

edit on 11-2-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors

Originally posted by xacto

Yawning = agreeing with one's own, or another's thought, based off our intuitive judgment. I can't tell you how many times ive thought "Hmm, i bet she want's to sit in a different position" referring to my friend's Dog. She'll yawn, and then 5 seconds later readjust her seating.

So "yawning = agreeing with one's own thoughts or another's thoughts"??

While trying to grasp this silly idea, I "yawned" quite a few times.

So my "HYPOTHESIS" that is "meant to be tested by you" is complete.

CONCLUSION: Yawning = providing the body more oxygen... or in the case of the thread, being bored by extreme silliness.

edit on 11-2-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

Or maybe you were just bored with intrigue!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join