It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,000 Days Later!! Still no budget...Remember that Tonight as Obama Speaks!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
On the eve of Obama's well crafted State of the Union speech please remember this fact. See through his fog of rhetoric and catch phrases.

Remember April 29, 2009. The last time Congress passed a budget!!

1000 days later, we are operating without any plan. Oh, the irony that it is today — I can’t wait to hear about it during the State of the Union tonight. Just like last year’s State of the Union. The budget Obama tried to pass shortly thereafter, modeled on the ideas espoused during his speech, failed 97-0. It was so outrageous, not one Senator of either party would put his name to it.

Some potent words from a leader

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) said it would be “foolish” to have a budget.

“There’s no need to have a Democratic budget in my opinion,” Reid said in a May interview with the Los Angeles Times. “It would be foolish for us to do a budget at this stage.”

The breakdown in the Senate came after Sen. Kent Conrad (D-ND), chairman of the Budget Committee, failed to get a consensus among panel Democrats last year on any plan that was proposed to the caucus.

Remember that when Obama first took office, the Dems also controlled the House and the Senate. Their priorities were desperately out of line

The previous Democrat-led Congress had ample time to do so. With President Obama in theWhite House, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and former Speaker Nancy Pelosi had the power to implement any budget they chose. Unfortunately, they punted on their responsibilities, choosing to pass legislation creating a national energy tax and an unpopular health-care law instead.

Some more facts compliments of the Heritage Foundation. Will Obama hit these bullet points tonight??

The last time the Senate passed a budget was on April 29, 2009.

Since that date, the federal government has spent $9.4 trillion, adding $4.1 trillion in debt.

As of January 20, the outstanding public debt stands at $15,240,174,635,409.

Interest payments on the debt are now more than $200 billion per year.

President Obama proposed a FY2012 budget last year, and the Senate voted it down 97–0. (And that budget was no prize—according to the Congressional Budget Office, that proposal never had an annual deficit of less than $748 billion, would double the national debt in 10 years and would see annual interest payments approach $1 trillion per year.)

The Senate rejected House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan’s (R–WI) budget by 57–40 in May 2011, with no Democrats voting for it.

In FY2011, Washington spent $3.6 trillion. Compare that to the last time the budget was balanced in 2001, when Washington spent $1.8 trillion ($2.1 trillion when you adjust for inflation).

Entitlement spending will more than double by 2050. That includes spending on Medicare, Medicaid and the Obamacare subsidy program, and Social Security. Total spending on federal health care programs will triple.

By 2050, the national debt is set to hit 344 percent of Gross Domestic Product.

www.taxpolitics.com...

Please keep this in mind as Obama struggles to stick to the script on his teleprompter tonight. 1,000 DAYS!! How many of you operate and run your household according to a strict budget?? I do and when deficits raise their ugly heads for unexpected medical bills or to fix a broken furnace on the coldest day of the year, I slash my expenses wherever possible to bridge the gap.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Doesn't the House of Representatives (republican led since 2010) have the authority to fund/defund anything budget-wise that gets brought to them?

If that is the case, then this is just a weak attempt to bypass laws set in place to control abuse of one aspect of government over another. (legislative vs executive)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I just happened to be watching Cable News stuff last night for lack of anything else on in the wee hours of the morning..and caught a thing on Fox. Perhaps someone can correct me if Fox got this wrong, but it sounded solid enough and verifiable enough to me.

What they pointed out was that the President is required by statute to provide his part of the Budget effort by a February deadline. It's simply a matter of black letter law, the way they were describing it. Apparently, it's an obligation Obama has only met once, and this year is no exception. They were saying he's been pretty casual about blowing off that legal deadline to get something out when they get the chance.

I guess it's sunk so far, so fast that such blatant disregard of bold legal requirement doesn't even warrant mention in prime time. I have to catch reference in 0'dark :30 filler shows to keep the slots moving at that time of the morning.

Of course...this time...it's the Republicans as much as the Dems...after all, the Repubs DO control 50% of Congress these days..so everyone gets a bucket of blame dumped on them...and Obama? He gets 2 because he's the single head of his own Branch.

edit on 24-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
glad someone else is as adamant as i am on this, Obama has been spittin bull out his mouth since day one , and people jumpin up and down for it. shameful really. Glad they vote against his crazy bills instead of listening to him.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

This is the simplest explanation of how the budgetary process is supposed to work. Note that step #1 starts in the White House

1. PRESIDENT'S BUDGET REQUEST. After asking federal agencies how much money they need to get their work done, the White House compiles a budget request and submits it to Congress on or before the first Monday in February.

The budget request shows broadly how the president wishes to implement fiscal policy -- how much he aims to raise in taxes, how much he wants to spend, and how much the gap between the two will add to the country's debt.

2. CONGRESS DRAWS UP ITS PLAN

After the budget request is submitted, the House and Senate Budget committees develop their own "budget resolution" -- a guide that states how much revenue the government expects to collect and how much it will spend.

Congress is supposed to approve this resolution by April 15, but it often misses that goal. Congress has failed to adopt a resolution at all three times over the past 10 years.

Spending totals are defined in two ways: authority, or how much money a federal agency is authorized to spend, and outlays, or how much that agency will actually spend in the coming year.

3. CUTTING THE CHECKS

After the budget resolution passes, the 12 appropriations subcommittees in each chamber set funding levels for individual government programs and write up detailed instructions for the agencies that oversee them -- such as how to divide highway construction money among individual projects.

Lawmakers often insert "earmarks" into these spending bills, which ensure funding for specific projects in their home districts that are not requested by the president.

www.reuters.com...

It all starts at the bosses desk and runs downhill. Something is clearly broken in the process.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Interesting perspective on how to improve the process
Rescuing the Budget Process

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Thank you. I learn something once again on this site!

So it is Obamas' fault. Figured.

I wonder if he thinks he can get away with this again!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
President Obama's budgets submitted:
February 26, 2009
February 1, 2010
February 14, 2011

The president appears to be fulfilling his obligations, congress on the other hand...is not.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

Yes he has and its all garbage. The Dems in Congress won't even touch his numbers. Where is Obama's demand for accountability and results from Congress? He just seems to wipe his plate clean after submitting his mess and never looks back. I used to work for a guy like that. It's not important to Obama. The only important issue for him is the funding of his personal programs and his desire to bypass congress to get them funded.

Passing a budget and actually balancing a budget would result in a spending spree freeze for Obama. He does not want that.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Yes he has and its all garbage. The Dems in Congress won't even touch his numbers. Where is Obama's demand for accountability and results from Congress? He just seems to wipe his plate clean after submitting his mess and never looks back. I used to work for a guy like that. It's not important to Obama. The only important issue for him is the funding of his personal programs and his desire to bypass congress to get them funded.

Passing a budget and actually balancing a budget would result in a spending spree freeze for Obama. He does not want that.

While I agree with everything you've said I find it hard to believe that no one has called him out on this. Where are the arguments from the current administration or those that are currently running?

It's almost as if NONE of them care, maybe the system is so far gone that there is no fixing it and they know it. Why try to bail out a sinking ship if half the hull is gone? Instead you could say that they are pillaging until the last moment. We'll know when we see all sorts of resignations.

HSR

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by HellstormRising

It amazes me too! Just look at the ongoing resistance given to any Congressman who dares to propose a balanced budget amendment. The Fundamentals are completely absent from our system. The checks and balances have failed and we have a president who continues to walk all over the constitution in order to achieve his personal agenda for our nation.

It's up to some brave soul in the House or Senate to put the motion forward to call him on the carpet and put it on official record. Enough is enough.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
You'll have to clear something up for me. How do we not have a budget? In 2009 we had a budget passed, so we had a budget until September 2010 (513 days ago).

In February 2010, the president submitted his FY 2011 budget requests. Congress refused to pass the request and refused to work together on the request, forcing the first series of continuing resolutions in October 2010.

These continuing resolutions are basically mini-budgets, funding the government for a month at a time. This happened for seven months until April 2011. While all this was going on, the president once again fulfilled his obligation in February of 2011 to submit a budget for FY 2012. On April 15, 2011 (287 days ago) congress passed the Department of Defense and Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011 funding the government until September 2011.

Congress didn't pass another budget until December 2011 with the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2012. This funds the government until September 2012.

So, we had a budget, we have a budget and next month the president will propose another budget. What are you talking about?

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Please read my previous post detailing how the process is supposed to work in the simplest of terms. Sorry. No budget and worse yet no Balanced budget or balanced budget amendment.

Try to run a successful business without balancing your books and establishing operational/spending guidelines. Continually, exceed your budget and you just may file for bankruptcy unless of course you are hoping for a bailout from the taxpayers.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Your simple explanation worked just fine. The president submitted a budget, congress denied it and went with their own 'current' spending budget, the bills still got paid.

Government is not a capitalist enterprise and should not be run like one.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
UPDATE!!!!!

Surprise Surprise!! Obama has no opinion on whether or not a Budget is passed. What a flippin IDIOT!

The White House has “no opinion” on whether the Senate should pass a budget, White House press secretary Jay Carney told a press briefing Wednesday.

ABC News’ Jake Tapper asked Carney whether President Obama agreed with comments by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke at a hearing Tuesday to the effect that the Senate’s failure to pass a budget creates uncertainty for business firms; or with a recent assertion by Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) that the Senate does not need to bring a budget to the floor this year.

How can Jay Carney look at himself in the mirror everyday after uttering this BS.

“The White House has no opinion on Chairman Bernanke’s assessment of how the Senate ought to do its business,” Carney replied. “What the president believes is important is that the Budget Control Act that was signed into law by him last year provides the top line spending caps for the coming budget, and he will obviously meet those in the budget proposal he puts forward,” he continued.

What about a Balanced Budget Amendment?? and Why does Obama insist on continually raising the Debt Ceiling every 3 months??

Steny Hoyer continues ot amuse

As CNSNews.com reported earlier, House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) told reporters on Capitol Hill on Tuesday, “The fact is, you don’t need a budget. We can adopt appropriations bills. We can adopt authorization policies without a budget. We already have an agreed-upon cap on spending.”

How dare anyone suggest that we should have controls and guidelines to prevent out of control spending. This is the mentality that we are up against in Congress and in Obama's Administration.

cnsnews.com...
edit on 10-2-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

1000+ days.

Has Obama ever had a budget?
And if not, why?
(rhetorical)
So his spending can go unaccounted for.

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Amazing how these little details just get ignored time and time again.
Just raise the ceiling a little more. It will fit...I promise

posted on Feb, 10 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

And you have hardly anyone saying a word. Where are the republicans in all of this?

If you spend too much, then raise the debt ceiling.

THATS the only "budget" limitation this president has!

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Saw this today, thought it might interest some of you:
The Truth Behind The GOP’s ‘1000 Days Without A Budget’ Canard

new topics

top topics

join