It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest solar storm since 2005 pummels Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Just saw this on Yahoo, Thought I would share.

A potent solar flare has unleashed the biggest radiation storm since 2005 and could disrupt some satellite communications in the polar regions, US space weather monitors said Monday. The event started late Sunday with a moderate-sized solar flare that erupted right near the center of the Sun, said Doug Biesecker, a physicist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Space Weather Prediction Center. "The flare itself was nothing spectacular, but it sent off a very fast coronal mass ejection traveling four million miles per hour (6.4 million kilometers per hour)," he told AFP.

I hope I can see some pretty colours!

Night-sky viewers in Asia and Europe may be able to witness the aurora, or Northern Lights, late Tuesday as a result of the storm.

It will probably be completely overcast as always when these things happen but fingers crossed.

Link to article
edit on 24-1-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
already posted here, and recently at that, please give credit and use the search option.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroUnlmtd
already posted here, and recently at that, please give credit and use the search option.

Yep...and of course yours isn't the first either!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
OOps, sorry guys. Looked at new topic fire hose and didn't see it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

your thread is about the flare and cme, my thread is about it hitting today and the effects we should expect, so yea i was first

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroUnlmtd
reply to post by jerryznv

your thread is about the flare and cme, my thread is about it hitting today and the effects we should expect, so yea i was first

Okay...got me!

Yours is the first thread started about the CME hitting earth...but it is not the first thread that has talked about it in great length already!

Good luck with your thread...I hope it brings new insight to the effects of this CME!
edit on 24-1-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
So the CME is BIG but what effects will it cause the Earth??

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Right, everybody, I don't care if you don't believe in cloud busting, stick your head out the window, and shoot an imaginary beam out of your head!!
(I wanna see the pretty lights)

*shakes fist at clouds*

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
maybe you shouls change the title ... it was much bigger ...

"Correction and New Data.
Earlier, it was stated that the current Solar Radiation Storm was the largest since May 2005, when the 10 MeV protons exceeded over 3000 PFU. This was not correct.
At the time of the earlier post, this current Storm was the biggest since January 2005, when the 10 MeV flux was 5040 pfu. After the arrival of the CME earlier today, the 10 MeV flux again increased and we were at around 6300 pfu. This is now the largest Solar Radiation Storm since October 2003. (The Halloween Storms)"

www.facebook.com...

[img]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/40157030278569.jpg/]

edit on 24/1/2012 by villunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

There was a 7.0 10/31/2003 in Honshu...maybe they will be revisited..not that a 7.0 is a big deal after having a niner

join