It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newr Threatens to Pull Out of the Debates if the Crowd Can't Applaud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com...

Kudos, to the poster on last nights debate that pointed out how lost he is without applause. You nailed that one.

He'd make a better political satirist than politician IMO

Mr. Gingrich, a former House speaker, on Tuesday morning threatened not participate in any future debates with audiences that have been instructed to be silent. That was the case on Monday, when Brian Williams of NBC News asked the audience of about 500 people who assembled for a debate in Tampa to hold their applause until the commercial breaks.

In an interview with the morning show “Fox and Friends,” Mr. Gingrich said NBC’s rules amounted to stifling free speech. In what has become a standard line of attack for his anti-establishment campaign, Mr. Gingrich blamed the media for trying to silence a dissenting point of view.

“I wish in retrospect I’d protested when Brian Williams took them out of it because I think it’s wrong,” Mr. Gingrich said. “And I think he took them out of it because the media is terrified that the audience is going to side with the candidates against the media, which is what they’ve done in every debate.”

Mr. Gingrich soared to victory in the South Carolina last week after back-to-back debates in which he took on the moderators with as much zeal as he took on his rivals for the Republican presidential nomination. The audiences, which were far larger and encouraged to participate, cheered him on as he pushed back. First he lashed out at Juan Williams of Fox News for suggesting that Mr. Gingrich’s comments about blacks and welfare were offensive. Then he snapped at John King of CNN for opening the debate with a question about accusations that he had asked an ex-wife for an “open marriage.”

Mr. Gingrich’s performance in the debate in Tampa on Monday night was far more muted. Critics noted that he seemed to be off his game. The National Journal, which co-hosted the NBC debate, compared Gingrich to “a stand-up comedian whose routine suffers without echoes of laughter egging him on.”

Mr. Gingrich clearly noticed something was off, too. “We’re going to serve notice on future debates,” he told Fox. “We’re just not going to allow that to happen. That’s wrong. The media doesn’t control free speech. People ought to be allowed to applaud if they want to.”

There is a video with the article of his threat.

Personally, I don't like the applause factor. People should use their own minds to determine whether the statements made are worthy of their support.

This isn't a concert it is a debate.

edit on 1/24/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/24/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add info

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
then... goodbye and enjoy the trip home!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
What a pathetic fool, he is one of those people who wants attention. Then go home you fool. He knows that he just draws his energy from the crowd and now he cant channel it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Newt is an attention whore. He carries himself as if he knows better than anyone else, when in truth, it's obvious he is blowing so much smoke up our asses.

Former failed speaker of the house = a good prez? Maybe somewhere else... Yet I cant believe the people that are actually going to vote for this scum! He's destined to bring WWIII upon us just by his stance on foreign policy alone! And they call RP crazy? Just wow!

Sorry folx..., I
m calling ya out now... If ya vote for this trash.. I will finaly loose all faith in our presedentual elections and this country. This guy is a crook.. A lier.. and half of this country is going to fall for it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Newt is an entertainer! Of course he's not going to perform without applause.

This is hilarious! He has entertained me since he was Speaker of the House... What a funny guy!

Here, Newt:
Feel better?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
IMO all of the debate crowds should be silent. Way to much time is wasted waiting for the cheering and clapping to subside. Cheering and applause are emotional reactions, not intellectual ones. I for one can agree or disagree with a politician's view without involving my emotions.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Can't we add a laugh track or something to whenever he speaks?

Anyhow, he knows his audience. he needs the keynote applause and boo's to help his speeches out.

I think the idea of having no audience is a damn good one actually for all campaign debates, reps, dems, rep v dems, etc..lets actually hear what they are saying verses get swept up in whomever is getting the loudest cheers or boo's. This makes perfect sense and is a step in the right direction. Get peoples minds working verses emotions.

link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

What a pathetic fool, he is one of those people who wants attention.

Yeah! What a fool! Its not like he is running for president or anything.

I'll bet Ron Paul never wanted attention!

link   
Good. Continue to stop the crowd from applauding.

Let Newt implode.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
Newt is an attention whore. He carries himself as if he knows better than anyone else, when in truth, it's obvious he is blowing so much smoke up our asses.

Former failed speaker of the house = a good prez? Maybe somewhere else... Yet I cant believe the people that are actually going to vote for this scum! He's destined to bring WWIII upon us just by his stance on foreign policy alone! And they call RP crazy? Just wow!

Sorry folx..., I
m calling ya out now... If ya vote for this trash.. I will finaly loose all faith in our presedentual elections and this country. This guy is a crook.. A lier.. and half of this country is going to fall for it.

He may get the nomination
however, he polls at about 25-30% max in mainstream voters..aka, he has no bloody hope in hell of winning..basically if he gets the nomination, its a shoe in for obama's second term.

incidently, I am totally a newt fan..go newt..show em whats what!

I want him to win for 2 reasons. First being, I can't stomach the idea of a rep in the white house so soon..we are still repairing the states from the last disasterous rep...
but more importantly, newt represents a neo-conservative old view of politics that I am almost certain is irrelevant when pushed into the limelight. Putting him up front will scare people into realizing voting is important and may actually vote in the midterms in 2014 verses totally forget about em.

So..ya. Go Newt.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
What we need is an up to date list and compilation of all CURRENT and running Polls, we need to get the focus back on Ron Paul as the media seeks to make him persona nongrata. I always find the polls after they have closed and would LOVE to poll on behalf of RP, but like I said always come in after the fact.

Perhaps a new thread to keep an eye out?

Who cares if little baby gringrich is upset because he gets no applause, Ron gets them every time he speaks! Gringrich is stating that the debates are telling people not to applaud until the breaks, but no, he is just mad because he deserves no clapping for his flapping.

he is making this a freedom of speech deal when it is NOT. He is such a viper!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Do you think MSM will kiss his rear end and agree to this? I'm thinking it all depends on whether they want him to be the candidate. I guess we will find out by January 26 (Thursday) at the next debate. That is also the day Obama is to appear in court on GA, I believe.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Newt is the McCain of 2012 ... He is in it to lose... Newt is your classical NWO candidate and so is Obama ... There is no chance for an economic recovery because the status quo has remained the same and the banksters still rule DC ... Do you think Republicans ....want the public to see them incharge of an imploding economy where nothing can be done to prevent it but only delay the implosion?

look at the election like this ... stragetically ... republicans would do better to lose this election because there is no real recovery ...just FED money pumping ... That is why the republicans are going to throw another election to rebound in 2016 if there is a nation left......!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
he is just mad because he deserves no clapping for his flapping.

Thanks for my first laugh today.
Even if I knew nothing about him and read this and watched the video, it is so blatantly arrogant and pompous.

edit on 1/24/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/24/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: added something

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
well its not like any of the money comes out of their pockets, but whoever gets to be the king of the clowns, gets to party like its 1999 on everyones money

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Is he running for President or entertainer?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Actually, the applause (which has gotten disruptive) is an important cue for EVERYONE on the stage. In addition to letting them know how much of their supporter base is there, it also allows them to see whose points are "hitting" with the crowd. This allows a savvy debater to allude to or address some issues that the crowd seems more enthusiastic and clip remarks that they don't seem to approve.

Public debate is a performance art. As anyone who's ever taken speech, drama, or debate can tell you, it is VERY hard to get the energy up and to work your points when the audience is three very stony faced judges. Audience energy enlivens any speech or debate.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
What we need is an up to date list and compilation of all CURRENT and running Polls, we need to get the focus back on Ron Paul as the media seeks to make him persona nongrata. I always find the polls after they have closed and would LOVE to poll on behalf of RP, but like I said always come in after the fact.

Perhaps a new thread to keep an eye out?

If you want to do that, PLEASE do it in the Politicians and People forum. Not here. We'd like to keep this topic for news stories and policy statements.

ATS is NOT Ron Paul Campaign Headquarters (though, you know, you might check the Daily Paul and see if you can contribute an article or three to them.)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

if this is true... IF this is true... then this means his 'speaking' skills are nullified effectively containing him in future debates. He works with the crowds reaction... that's all he can do IMO. without that, he's just the same ol corrupted newt we are all used to.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
He knows he has no merit to stand on.

He relies on the perception generated by the crowd.

Last night, the other three literally looked like the three stooges.

new topics

top topics

join