It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dyatlov Pass Incident--Russia's Mountain of Death

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
There's nothing like a good mystery. But this one has already been solved.
www.cracked.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by questforevidence

Not really. I was also thinking that the missing tongue could be due to animals,, but that should have been easily verified if it was,,, some traces of the animal would have been observed. I know that one symptom of hypothermia is feeling like your burning,, so that explains the naked bodies.

One thing that still bothers me is they're reasoning to split up into groups. Idk if its just me but whatever the scenario it might be,, i would rather stick together. They were found about 200 meters apart from each other,, thats pretty much.

So far I like the avalanche theory the most.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Well, Im sure a scientific publication like cracked mag will have indubitably done their due diligence, and their debunk sounds fair enough.....
Their theory does fit the facts as we know them, and it is interesting that there really are no records of the origonal incident,
That it has grown creepier with the addition of other details may be so....but other strange and unusual things have happened out in the Taiga of russia.
Theres the story of the crashed sace ship where watches wouldnt work, and time was wonky....
All kinds of wierd effects on that one....
The winter precludes ursines and i am not sure f there are snow leopards or puma type cats or wolverines there, but its doubtful any predator scared them out of their tents.....
The threat of avalanche doesnt seem logical in one sense, because where would they go if there was one?
Wouldnt it have been better to burrow down in place?
Obviously there was no avalanche anyways, so the threat would not have been long lasting....(i imagine they may have heard one in their proximity but not really on top of them.)
The broken bones sustained by some must have been sustained after leaving the tent as they would likely have in capacitated the runners...(ever run with broken ribs?) NOT!specially ones puncturing the heart as well.....
So, the avalanche sounded right on top of them....they slashed their way out and took off running in bare feet?
Naw.....it doesnt really make much sense.....
A winter camp in the show like that on the exposed hillside, they must have dug their tent down into the snow....
This would be normal.....so id think they would hunker down in case of avalanche.....hope it would be possible to dig out afterwards....

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Radiation and lack of external injuries is consistent with reported alien technology.

How often have contactees noted a "metallic taste" during or immediately after a close encounter, among more drastic physiological effects indicative of radiation sickness?

Many report forces which appear to restrain their movement, which I believe could cause the type of fatal internal injuries found amongst the hikers, if they were to be used "offensively".

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by questforevidence
There's nothing like a good mystery. But this one has already been solved.
www.cracked.com...

Are you the type of skeptic that believes every joke website he/she reads?

That cracked.com article is not any kind of definitive proof on what happened to these people, read the comments and do some more research into what the author is talking about. He outright ignores the evidence that doesn't support his article and shows the typical, ignorant bias. The article doesn't "solve" anything, it's an opinion piece written for people looking for jokes on the internet. He might as well have just told your mama jokes.

I used to like cracked.com, but lately they have been micromanaging their authors opinions.

Before you knew it, I had internalized the Cracked voice and, after having several articles published, I was approached about editing other people's articles as well.
cracked.com

Smells fishy huh?

Use your head for a second or two before thinking an internet author can solve a mystery of traumatic deaths half way across the world.
edit on 25-1-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
With out doubt one of the most frightening UFO/paranormal cases of all time! they all died horrific deaths! would love to know exactly what the Russian investigators REALLY found!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

This story has always given me the creeps,being a keen camper it's been in the back of my head a few times out in the wilderness of Scotland.
The injuries sustained sound horrific,and something clearly scared them out of their wits

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Alrighty then, an Alien invasion is the logical Occam's Razor explanation. Hypothermia and trauma does crazy things to the mind. At lunch today I just viewed the Storm of the Century, and a group of hikers/camper caught in the blizzard in the Smoky Mountains spit their party, began with a slow older fellow and they left him behind while 2 others went back and only one of them stayed with the fellow. Well maybe not your post but lends a real episode to explain the post above yours.

Really, going with the alien thing?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

According to the television show Ancient Aliens, the native people claim there is some type of ancient defense system for the Earth, in the form of underground laser turants in the area. These lasers supposedly raise and lower themselves into and above ground when, somehow, they feel it is necessary. According to the show many folks have actually seen the structures in various aspects of being raised or lowered, however nobody has ever viewed the laser itself. Supposedly these structures are in swampy areas where they seemingly disappear under the muck when lower completely. Ancient Aliens claimed the hikers got too close to one of these structures. Further many Russians claim it was one of these structures that was responsible for the Tunguska incident, when one shot and destroyed a meteor, meteorite, or whatever it may have been.

Not that I believe everything I see on Ancient Aliens, but thought I would add this theory to the discussion for what it's worth.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

FORMATTED ESPECIALLY FOR YOU:

CONTENTIONS:
1 - A lady was missing her tongue after the incident.
2 - The dead bodies had an orange tan.
3 - The tents were ripped up.
4 - The hikers were missing clothing.
5 - Crushing damage done to the bodies of the hikers.
6 - Traces of radioactivity.

CRACKED COUNTERARGUMENTS:
1 - An animal could have eaten the tongue.
2 - Laying out in the sun for up to 5 weeks will give you a nice tan.
3 - Most likely an avalanche.
4 - Paradoxical undressing from hypothermia caused by an avalanche.
5 - Most likely an avalanche.
6 - Radioactivity was not mentioned in the original report.

Come on people we are smarter than this. Can we focus on an incident that is better documented like Roswell or maybe Phil Schneider?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

That would be the official report, as in the "need to know" report.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Morg234

That would be the official report, as in the "need to know" report.

Well just move the goal posts wherever you wish, that way you're guaranteed to never lose a debate.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

1 - An animal could have eaten the tongue.

As was reported in the original investigation, no animal tracks were found entering or leaving the campsite. Now, this obviously does not rule out that birds could have flown in, landed on the body and ate her tongue. However, I think animals eating the tongue is somewhat unlikely here.

2 - Laying out in the sun for up to 5 weeks will give you a nice tan.

To get a "nice tan" requires the synthesis of melanin, a process that ceases after death.

3 - Most likely an avalanche.

Again, the original report stated that no damage was found to any trees in the area, which would most likely occur in an avalanche.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I have been an avid backpacker and mountaineer for 20+ years. I have gone out alone to temps at -30F. I would go snow camping backpacking every weekend regardless of weather, actually the worse it was out-the happier I was. Nothing, and I mean nothing that I can think of would compel me to "CUT" my tent so as to render it useless at a later time. I would not leave my tent without gear- I have been circled by mountain lions and bears all night- shooting at them as they beat a path around my tent, I would shoot at them with my pistol as they passed by the door. I never ran or left. It would have been suicide at those temps. I have skied glaciers with a guy who is now known as "hypothermia man" He developed severe hypothermia and he shook violently but was never scattered upstairs. The chance that one team member getting hypothermia, or two is possible. These were trained, skilled people from what I can tell. Very slim chance that all would get hypothermia at the EXACT same time and run, I just cant buy that at all. Mountaineers are skilled and are used to wild hungry animals, they expect them as you are a food source and you are likely cooking.
The hypothermia explanation does not add up- and the chance that they set up camp in an avalanche zone is unlikely as well. I never do that- why would you-there are usually other options.
Odd story- I have always found it interesting.
Nice post and thanks

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I flagged this thread because it is worthy of discussion. It is a fascinating and somewhat disturbing incident and though I am aware there are other threads relating to this I doubt anyone has really taken the UFO abduction thing seriously. I often wondered if this particular party stumbled across something they were not supposed to see and were disposed of in such a way as if to make it appear something sinister and possibly paranormal happened. Will follow thread to see where it leads.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

...a thought...

If it were indeed an avalanche, how could there have been any foot prints? Would not have the avalanche covered them up? So the tent stayed stationary while the bodies were swept away...in different directions? And then two of the victims who died in the avalanche built a fire?

If they had been in the elements for some time, the face, neck, and hands would be tan. But the tan was over their whole bodies. They could have been sun bathing in the winter but I doubt it.

A critter sure could have ate the tongue. However, the eyeballs would have gone first as would have the entrails. It could have been like that but I was unable to dig it out.

Hypothermia was most like the cause of death. Bleeding to death can be a cause death for some folks too. However, folks rarely spontaneously bleed to death. A gun shot wound, for example, is the driving force. A group of 9 experience, acclimated climbers spontaneously go nuts and freeze to death. What is the driving force?

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
the way they worded it, it sounds like the cedar tree killed them all.

DID IT?!?!?!?!?!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Here is a website that will definitely provide some new data to those interested in the Dyatlov Pass mystery.

Dyatlov Pass: Into the Golden Fire

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
There are so many possible scenarios that one could argue. But essentially, none of us will know what truly happened to these folks. It sucks.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The link above is a great and fascinating read. It would be good to get a local to tell of the legends and the real reason its called 'the mountain of the dead', all the stuff i've read on the subject certainly leads me to believe something strange happened and the fact the last photo shows a light and that even in extreme danger and terror they got the tripod set up and managed to get a photo off before meeting their fate. Whilst avalanche would explain the party 'running off' partially clothed it does not account for them setting the camera up in the tent under such a threat?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join