It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lottery winner in need of a kidney nearly didn't claim $14.3 million!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Wow...just wow! How awesome is this story. For a change some good news at least for one "Lucky American". After all the political bashing going on, I thought this story is a nice change of pace. The smile on his face is priceless.

For three days, Wisconsin military vet Napolean Elvord had no idea he had won a fortune. A military veteran in need of a kidney transplant had $14.3 million sitting on a table in his house and didn't know it.

For three days after it was announced that the winning Megabucks ticket from the Jan. 14 drawing had been sold at a Wisconsin Mobil station, Napolean Elvord had no idea a life-changing sum of money was right at his fingertips. The clerks at the Madison store that Elvord visits daily asked him if he was the one who bought the winning ticket. But he said it wasn’t him — and as the days passed, no one came forward to claim the prize.

Then the store manager, Corky Wunderlin, asked him again, and it dawned on Elvord: He had mixed up the drawing days that produced the Megabucks winner. Elvord still didn’t believe it when he found the winning $1 ticket sitting on a table at home, so he took it to the Wisconsin Lottery office, which validated that he was about to become a multi-millionaire. He got a lump-sum payment of $10.2 million, which computes to $6.87 million after taxes, overcoming one in seven million odds.

Link to story with video

This guy even let someone go in front of him in line before he bought his ticket. Then to top that off, he thought he was playing the Powerball...I guess it was just meant to be for this man.

I wish him the best of luck with his health and hope that he truly does invest his money to assist other suffering Americans

edit on 1/24/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Awesome!

Strange how the world works sometimes. When you really need it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Why did he only get $10.2 million when it says he has won $14.3 million?

And, you pay taxes on a lottery win? Bummer!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I noticed that too on the taxes. I never thought it was fair to pay tax on prize winnings. However, I'm sure this winner was happy to pay whatever he needed to pay.

Sounds like this is definitely a life changing event for this Lucky guy

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Good on him.

Also, He can buy one of my kindeys if he really needs it, i will just sell him one of mine but it wont be cheap.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Why did he only get $10.2 million when it says he has won $14.3 million?

You can take $14.3 million in an Annuity (long term 30 year low risk investment that pays a fixed amount yearly) or you can take a big ol' check for 10.2 million and invest it however you want. Or spend it all. Either way.

You pay taxes because it's earned income .. you pay state and Federal taxes on the winnings.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Wow, that sucks. It is just a win here. No taxes and you get what you win.

Double taxation pees me off!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
he didn't get 10 odd million.

He got a lump-sum payment of $10.2 million, which computes to $6.87 million after taxes,

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

We get taxed on everything...any form of income, BAM! Taxed... However, the tax on winning is greater than income tax too. This is why he lost 8 Million by taking the lump sum. The screw you if you want it all up front, and then they take taxes off it too.

But.... I would be happy if I were in his situation. Good for him. I play the local lottery here in AZ hoping that one day lightening will strike. And yeah, I know that it is a scam, but I will gladly spread out $104 over the year for a chance at winning and proving my kids a life that I never could dream of.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Let's see...

He bought the wrong lottery ticket for a dollar and won.

Then he took the lump sum payment and paid the tax.

But he is still walking out the door with a cool six mil that he didn't have the day before.

Sounds like he is still a winner to me.

Good for him.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Nice read, and some good news for once.
Thanks for sharing.

top topics

join