It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moral Deficit

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by theBigToe
Oh look now somebody went crying to a Mod about how "offensive" my post was. Its amazing on this site you can be a nutter bigot and your posts remain intact yet you cry someone offended your religious beliefs and the posts instantly removed. This site should be hosted in China. What a crock. Totally garbage you cant even write anything without it being censored. Dont remove peoples posts. Free speech. Who cares how offensive or how much trolling they do. Leave PEOPLES POSTS ALONE.

Mods don't remove posts on members' complaints alone. Believe it or not, this site does have a reputation and posts like yours in this thread aren't making matters any better in that regard.

Just thought you should know.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

It would seem more than apparent to me that the the ones who are currently throwing their moral values out the window are the very same people who feel compelled to continually preach these values to others.

The very same people who blame "separation of church & state" as the catalyst that spurred the so-called "war on religion" don't even support the values they advocate, as was clearly demonstrated by the overwhelming boos that Ron Paul got when he suggested that we apply the "Golden Rule" to our foreign policy. I'm not a Ron Paul fan but I almost fell off my couch when that happened!

I'm would venture to say that hypocrisy is a bigger problem today than defining moral values, because apparently the phrase "to practice what you preach," means absolutely nothing to those who are most vocal about their alleged moral values.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
In a thread about morals, you are a shining example of what is wrong. Morality is not relative. Good is good and evil is evil. There is a right and a wrong and murdering children is wrong. The fact that you cannot, or will not see this is indicative of the moral decay of our society.

There is no such thing as right or wrong. Those descriptions can be applied to anything by anyone. DarhMuerte is evil and wrong and bad. It is the absolute truth prove me wrong. There? Do you get it? I don't even know you.

You're going to have to accept some day that we're all part of the universe made entirely of energy and every single fluctuation of any atom anywhere is actively changing the course of reality. However, if a person is doing something that isn't directly harming you, why do you want to go out of the way to regulate their actions based on your personal definition of wrong?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Nothing I said was vulgar there is absolutely no reason to have removed it because I offended her ridiculous beliefs. I could care less about your opinion on whats offensive and whats not.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Is there a moral deficit in western culture today? I would say yes. You only need look at what so many people download there brains with today. Look at all the multi-million dollar big budget Hollywood movies that promote and glamorize violence solely for the sake of violence.Can anyone argue that the glamorization of violence for profit isn't immoral? Yet millions of people around the world spend their time and hard earned money to go and watch it.

Look at shows like Toddlers and Tiaras where little girls are purposefully sexualized for entertainment. Is the sexualization of little girls for ratings immoral, I would say yes. But it is a hit show, so many are willing to watch it that it stays on the air and makes big bucks for the company that produces it.

Look at Rihanna and Lady Gaga. Are they entertaining, yes, but they have to keep upping the shock factor to the point that blasphemy is cool and shrugged at indifferently. Blasphemy sells, by the millions. Nothing is sacred or off limits anymore. Maybe thats why so many young people don't give a flying fig about anything anymore, not even themselves. It's like a deep dark hole of amorality that is plunging people further into an abyss of the soul.

Perhaps the door of moral relativism has swung too far and it is hurting people's souls. Where is the empathy for ourselves and our fellow humans. The lack of respect people have for themselves and for others is starting to become appalling. A healthy sense of love and compassion respect for oneself and for all others could help heal this moral deficit but where is it gonna start. All that has tradionally been seen as a source for 'morality' is crumbling and I think often rightly so because virtually everything has been corrupted.

There is no easy answer, except perhaps to look within and be kind to ourselves and to eachother and be very very cautious of others overstepping their bounds and projecting their own lack of self-respect onto you.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by batgirl

This is basically ethics. Are you saying people dont have the right to profit off of a video game like call of duty or that Brian Depalma should have never made Scarface? What about Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by L00kingGlass
Sure people are technically allowed to do some immoral things, however they're all disgusting and make me ill.

Care to name a few of those legal, immoral things that disgust you? Perhaps we can discuss them further.

The only people that see morals as useless obstacles which get in the way of personal pleasures are Pagans.

Very narrow minded of you. Many here would say the same of religious zealots trying to push their ideas of morals down our throats.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by batgirl
Is there a moral deficit in western culture today? I would say yes. You only need look at what so many people download there brains with today. Look at all the multi-million dollar big budget Hollywood movies that promote and glamorize violence solely for the sake of violence.

What somebody experiences visually and what they retain mentally are not the same thing. There have been links discovered between seeing violence and unleashing anger and negativity. However, the violence can be as simplistic as whack-a-mole.

I've been playing violent video games since I was a young child. My earliest PC games were quake, grand theft auto, doom and duke nukem. Violence, cursing and nudity included before age 10. I'm a pacifist now. I would rather be killed than kill another. I would also be willing to help anybody in need, regardless of their past, if I was to be aiding them with something positive I would help. I would give my life to save anybody.

My beliefs are guided by knowledge of the universe and the strong relationships between all matter. No amount of violence or death will change this thought process. I'm prepared for death, torture, bland immortality or even a tear in the fabric of reality itself.

I don't like to think about morals, or rights and wrongs. I like to think about the possibilities that could be achieved by people and how ludicrous their beliefs must be to actively choose to live in the societies of today (or any previous age).

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr

Sure people are technically allowed to do some immoral things, however they're all disgusting and make me ill.

Care to name a few of those legal, immoral things that disgust you? Perhaps we can discuss them further.

The only people that see morals as useless obstacles which get in the way of personal pleasures are Pagans.

Very narrow minded of you. Many here would say the same of religious zealots trying to push their ideas of morals down our throats.

Hmmmm, while I agree with your sentiment, I'm not sure I can bring myself to agree with your last point. Paganism is a religion (essentially, Paganism originally meant that the Pagans followed a different faith than your own), and it's not just the self righteous people within any religion who shriek when someone does something that while not illegal, goes against their personal morality.
edit on 25-1-2012 by something wicked because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

reply to post by batgirl

This is basically ethics. Are you saying people dont have the right to profit off of a video game like call of duty or that Brian Depalma should have never made Scarface? What about Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List?

I made a point of saying "glamourizing violence, solely for the sake of violence". This is not talking about movies that portray some violence in it as part of the telling of a story in which violence is made to be seen as the dastardly thing that it really is ie..a movie like Schindler's List. I am talking about all of the images and movies, videos,,etc that are pumping the message of violence being cool. And there are many of them. It's everywhere. I don't think it is solely a matter of ethics. Promoting messages and images of nonsensical violence, solely for the sake of promoting violence in order to obtain profit margins is immoral. Young people are particularly susceptible to it and that is why these messages are often aimed at young people. Call it whatever you want. It is wrong.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked
Hmmmm, while I agree with your sentiment, I'm not sure I can bring myself to agree with your last point. Paganism is a religion (essentially, Paganism originally meant that the Pagans followed a different faith than your own), and it's not just the self righteous people within any religion who shriek when someone does something that while not illegal, goes against their personal morality.

Yes, i know. But this poster was painting anyone who does not follow his or her morals as a "pagan". So, that would include me, even though i am obviously not pagan.

Very narrowminded in my opinion, you may disagree.

edit on 25-1-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by batgirl

I understand what youre saying, shows like Jersey Shore are stupid and ridiculous and only dumb people down, but whats the alternative? The alternative is censorship.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Promoting messages and images of nonsensical violence, solely for the sake of promoting violence in order to obtain profit margins is immoral.

To you, its immoral. To me, the government telling me what i can and cannot do is immoral. Im sorry, but i can relate to the above poster describing violent video games. I too have been an avid gamer since my youth and often played very violent games. The important thing to remember is i always realized it was a game and in fact fantasy. I didnt play Doom then decide it would be cool to shoot people. I knew there would be consequences, and i would go to jail. Do you believe people are mindless automatons who always mimic what the see on TV or play in games? Do you really think people are that stupid and lacking in free will and reason? And dont even start on Columbine. Those kids were mentally deranged.

Young people are particularly susceptible to it and that is why these messages are often aimed at young people. Call it whatever you want. It is wrong.

How so? Some kids may mimic what they see on TV, even if it is violent, but those children are already pre-disposed to mental health issues or have been brought up wrong by their parents. And that is where the responsibility really lies, isnt it? If you do not want your child playing Grand Theft Auto, you do not let them.

Parents these days have become lazy. Living in Canada when i was young, i could not drive down a residential street without kids having to pull their hockey nets aside to let the car pass. They were everywhere playing outside, no matter the season or weather. Now, you could shoot a shotgun down these same streets and never hit a soul. They are all inside playing NHL 2012. And the parents encourage it. Its so much easier to give them a controller and tell them to have fun then actually have to supervise them outside and pay attention to them. Parents are so hands off these days, leaving the children to their own devices. How are you ever going to influence their lives or set an example these days.

Bottom line: your the parent. If you dont want your child playing these movies or watching these games, dont let them. The government has no right to legislate what we can or cannot do if it does not harm others!

edit on 25-1-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dystopiaphiliac

Is there a moral deficit in western culture today? I would say yes. You only need look at what so many people download there brains with today. Look at all the multi-million dollar big budget Hollywood movies that promote and glamorize violence solely for the sake of violence.

What somebody experiences visually and what they retain mentally are not the same thing. There have been links discovered between seeing violence and unleashing anger and negativity. However, the violence can be as simplistic as whack-a-mole.

I've been playing violent video games since I was a young child. My earliest PC games were quake, grand theft auto, doom and duke nukem. Violence, cursing and nudity included before age 10. I'm a pacifist now. I would rather be killed than kill another. I would also be willing to help anybody in need, regardless of their past, if I was to be aiding them with something positive I would help. I would give my life to save anybody.

My beliefs are guided by knowledge of the universe and the strong relationships between all matter. No amount of violence or death will change this thought process. I'm prepared for death, torture, bland immortality or even a tear in the fabric of reality itself.

I don't like to think about morals, or rights and wrongs. I like to think about the possibilities that could be achieved by people and how ludicrous their beliefs must be to actively choose to live in the societies of today (or any previous age).

I'm glad that this has been the outcome for you. You sound like a really good, grounded, well thought out person.
I will say though that I know quite a number of young people who have grown up on violent video games in addition to having grown up in dysfunctional familiies (the games were there babysitters) and they have never grown out of it. These games are their whole lives. Text. When they come up for air that is all they seem to be capable of talking about. The games. Their addiction to these games have taken over their lives right up to where some of them are in their twenties.I find it quite sad. If there were ever a long-term power outtage it would be a monumental psychological catastrophe for them and I am not kidding. It would be withdrawal. These games are made to be addictive. I am glad that you did not fall into the long-term trap. Some do.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by batgirl

I agree with him a lot but not on his point that parents are lazy these days so they give kids video games. Perfectly normal for people to disconnect from reality from time to time, or long periods of time, and engage in the wonders of our advances in technology. Its the future! I look at football and basketball, soccer, and I see a boring, outdated primitive game. Thats just my opinion, but I would have more fun staying nice and clean and warm in my home playing a shooter video game because its a simulated experience of doing something you shouldnt and cant do in real life.

Dont be afraid of technology! Unless it has a "Skynet" logo on it!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Is it moral to force women to have unsafe abortions? To punish women in need by exposing them to practices best left in the pages of history. Not in my book. But then thats the thing with morals.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Wait, wait, wait. Since when are women forced into having abortions? That is their right to do to their body whatever they want until a certain point considered an actual organism. When youre allowed to have an abortion is the early stages where there is nothing in you, just whats needed to start putting together a life.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

reply to post by batgirl

I understand what youre saying, shows like Jersey Shore are stupid and ridiculous and only dumb people down, but whats the alternative? The alternative is censorship.

Well, I saw a clip once of a very long line up of people, mostly parents, waiting in line at, I believe it was a Walmart, the line went all the way around the store and they had been waiting for hours, some having even camped overnight. All this because one of the new video game players were going to go on sale that day. It was going to be a mad rush. One of the first guys in there got one, went out to the parking lot in full view of everyone, with a black mask covering his face, took out a sledgehammer and smashed the hell out of it.

So long as TPTB are going to be serving us up CRAP and PROPAGANDA on the television then I say it's better to turn it off, better yet, get rid of it. If enough people turned it off, maybe they would get the message, and then maybe not. If the day ever comes when some people decide en masse to take their television propaganda machines to a public place and smash the hell out of them with sledgehammers then I will gladly join in.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by batgirl

Okay. But its his right to decide for himself if he wants to go out and sledgehammer whatever or whoever he wants for whatever reason he wants. I can give you an example of violence happening for every reason that you can possibly think of. There is a rational law in place that everybody has to abide by. He is going to have to face the legal consequences of imposing harm to a person or a persons property. You can disapprove of whatever you want, that is your right to have your opinion, just as its their right to have their opinion, but denying him his right to that opinion is morally reprehensible, far more atrocious then whatever kind of offense he wants to perpetuate.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by theBigToe

I'm not saying women are forced to have abortions. i am saying women will have abortions whether legal or illegal, surely the moral thing to do is protect the lives of the women who do choose to have an abortion.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join