It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moral Deficit

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
No society is no more morally bankrupt than it has been. The only real difference is people no longer care to hide it as they did in the past. You can try to define abortion as being immoral and you could possibly make a case that it is if there weren't thousands of unadopted kids well on their way to becoming career criminals because people like you don't really care about their life once they are born. You get off on climbing the moral high horse to feed your need to feel superior. We were given the ability to reason out if a child would be to great a strain on our resources way back in our development.

People love to say "but you could be killing the next Einstein", and yeah that is a possibility but is also just as possible it could very well be the next Hitler or Dahmer.You want to end abortion, then a good place to start is changing how resources are allocated. As to the rest of your little rant there is nothing new under the sun.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Your daughter gets raped by your neighbour.
But there isn't enough evidence to convict him.
You move to another town.

Several years later you are eating at a restaurant, and are shocked to see your former neighbour a few tables away. He doesn't notice you, but he seems quite upset. You quickly leave

A few days later you read in the newspaper that your former neighbour was sentenced to life in prison for killing his wife. The article says that he tried to make it look like a robbery. You realize that the time of death of his wife was when you saw him at the restaurant.

What are you going to do?
There are greys out there.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
Finally, out the truth spills. You don't care about "murdered foetus". What you care about is controlling the sexuality of others. Ensuring that sex is an act solely of reproduction and not an act of humanity.

Tired of Control freaks

Are you insane? Do you comprehend the english language? Do stop putting words in my mouth in order to lend credence to your nihilist anti-societal views.

Where did I say I wish to control sexuality of others? If you continue doing so, it will only hurt your own credibility here, not mine. Afterall, I am only an insignificant nobody here. Others reading this thread are not fools, may you realize that fact.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Ok sounds good! I agree with you - everything in moderation.
Like many previous posters said, if you don't think you want an abortion, then don't get one. If you don't enjoy sex, then don't do it! But if you do, please film it and direct me to a site where I can watch (if you are indeed fit like you say). I have been very moderate lately with my adult movie watching and think it's about time I take some time for myself. Again, if you don't want to offer me any vids, that is totally your right as well!
Freedom is a beautiful thing, no?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

You are making a point to call out those who enjoy an excess of sex, are you not? If you do this not because you wish to control people, then why are you making threads about morality - and then specifically using sex as the basis for your discussion?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
I am not the one who is making moral judgements here. YOU ARE! So why don't you solve all the problems of the world?

Ah - that is right - you can't! So what gives you the right to insist that others live by your definition of morality. And by the way this post was to Jessica6 who kindly pointed out that a pregnancy is only a few months long (implying that it is only a minor inconvenience).

Tired of Control Freaks

Nope. You PRONOUNCED judgement on Jessica6 on an open forum. Why lie now? The words are all there for all to see. I will stand up to you, regardless of your views towards me.

Again I repeat. YOU knew about the situation in Somalia, so why aren't you alleviating the mothers' suffering there, instead admonishing Jessica6 over her stand, when the mothers need the help and you are FULLY CAPABLE of offering it?

What had you ACTUALLY done on your part before dishing judgement out on another? Or do you feel no sense of responsibility to anyone else but only for that arrogant ego of yours?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy

You are making a point to call out those who enjoy an excess of sex, are you not? If you do this not because you wish to control people, then why are you making threads about morality - and then specifically using sex as the basis for your discussion?

Did I start this thread?

Do not allow rage to cloud your judgement, nor put words into my mouth. Such trollish behaviour will get your nowhere and would only make you look infantile.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by newsoul

Are there any morals left in our society? We have laws that allow women........

I think it is dangerous to confuse the two and advocate "Legislating" "Morality"...

Do you derive your morals from legal texts? Scripture? Should those two texts be one in the same?

Fairness, Equality, Justice are the realm of the law.

Homosexuality, what constitutes "sexually deviant behavior" etc. absent criminal harm should remain the rights of the people to decide, not governments.

Once we begin to legislate "morality" we become just another flavor of a mid-east dictatorship.

Why do conservatives advocate for the free market to self-regulate financial crime and fraud, but distrust a free-society to self-regulate what is morally acceptable? It seems a strange and ironic paradox. "The People" are capable of policing themselves when it comes to cheating financially? But are incapable of making broader moral decisions for themselves?

edit on 24-1-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

Originally posted by Salamandy

Did I start this thread?

Do not allow rage to cloud your judgement, nor put words into my mouth. Such trollish behaviour will get your nowhere and would only make you look infantile.

My apologies. I thought you started the thread. My thoughts were intended to be directed to the OP.
Rage? Wait, Im the one who enjoys sex here. The person coming off as full of rage, if anyone, is the OP

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'd just like to stress that wise people promote good moral values in order to build a society that is healthy in mind and body.

People should be allowed to do whatever they wish as long as they don't promote what they're doing. For example, if you want to go and have sex with someone different every night, go a.. But, when you start to build a "group" around this lifestyle and expect people to follow your example, you've crossed the line. Not only are you living an unhealthy lifestyle, you're trying to get others to harm themselves.

This is where the larger problem lies. Most people who don't respect themselves and/or have low self esteem live risky lifestyles. These people often need to surround themselves with others who are the same why in order to feel better about themselves. Just as the bully recruits others to band with him, this technique works to lower other people to his level.

Think of it this way:
You are the only person in a small village who enjoys eating nothing but junk food. Since everyone around you enjoys healthy food, you feel like an outcaste. So, in order to feel "normal", you leave and start your own village where you have to recruit passersby to stay and enjoy your food. You have to "brain wash" these newcomers into believing that your way is fun and the best way to enjoy life.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Afterthought

Cheers to you!! You took so many words right out of my mouth!! Thank you!

Agreed. Afterthought is good.

You were articulate enough in your thoughts Kentucky. I find it kind of strange how these people who hava a 'Live and let live" attitude towards morals will get all defensive if you don't agree with them.

Live and let live right?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

It is time that we all stop the "I am an island" crap. We live side by side, shoulder to shoulder. And truthfully, as hard as it is to except this, we are all in this together. I find it incredibly frustrating that people keep assuming that I do this or I said that or I live my life this way or that. I started a post based on morality. I was obviously off my rocker because it is blatantly obvious that many people do not have a moral compass. I stated that I am against abortion, I believe it is wrong to kill another human being. I am fairly certain there are other moral issues in the world, however the pro-choicers have made this thread into an argument about abortion. I spoke of sexual deviant behavior, and the only thing they equate to that is homosexuality. I never mentioned homosexuality, but apparently you think it is sexually deviant?

I used a story about a burglar to make a point. If you've read through the post you will understand. If a burglar is given more rights than the homeowner, we have a problem as a society. Now you, on your island will be fine, until someone invades.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Aaaannnndddd this is my point exactly. You believe that you should be allowed whatever freedoms that make you happy. And I never mentioned God or religion in my OP. I also do not understand where all of the aggression is coming from. I asked a question in regards to where do YOU see moral deficits in our society.

The morality your espousing is very judeo-christian "encouraging sexually deviant behavior" (meaning Gay) is YOUR moral interpretation and you fail to acknowledge that moralities have changed over time. So yes you interjected a religious moral view that you define as absolute. This is what I see as the biggest "problem" with morals in this country. Too many people want to project moral absolutes on others.
APB

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AmericanPitBull

I am going to say this one more time. I said sexually deviant. I never, not one time, mentioned homosexuality. Is beastiality sexually deviant? What about incest? Pedophilia? Necrophilia? Promiscuity??? YOU apparently came to the conclusion that homosexuality is sexually deviant, because I never said that.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

reply to post by Afterthought

Cheers to you!! You took so many words right out of my mouth!! Thank you!

Agreed. Afterthought is good.

Thank you, kind sir.
I'd like to bestow the same compliment to you!

Which brings me to the concept of being polite.
Simply saying 'Please' and 'Thank you' have become a thing of the past. Most, not all, of the children I come across are so rude these days! When they want something, they don't say 'please', it's 'gimme gimme gimme'. If you tell them 'no', a temper tantrum usually follows and mom/dad/whomever breaks down in order to put an end to the gory scene.

One thing that totally bugs me about the kids in my neighborhood (and I know this happens many more places) is that kids will NOT move out of the way of cars coming down the road. It happens to me at least twice a week. I'll get behind the school bus letting off and the kids will NOT move to the side. They continue to walk down the middle of the road. If I'd done this as a kid, my mom would've smacked me because it's not only rude, but unsafe.

Which leads me to my next point, why has unsafe behavior become so cool?
edit on 24-1-2012 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

I think that in terms of there being a moral deficit in the world, there are far worse examples than abortion and sexual deviance.

Greed/materialism is probably at the top of my list. High up there is when other people judge their neighbor and refrain from concentrating on their own business.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Salamandy

Thank you for answering the question that was posed in the op.

link   
reply to post by newsoul

I was obviously off my rocker because it is blatantly obvious that many people do not have a moral compass.

It is not obvious at all. We each have a moral compass. Just because it doesn't exactly match yours, that doesn't mean we don't have one. I have a very strong moral compass.

... however the pro-choicers have made this thread into an argument about abortion.

This is from the OP:

After having participated in a thread from Paxnatus yesterday, I think it is a great time to discuss the moral deficit of our society.

I'm assuming you mean this thread, which is about Roe V Wade and abortion.

You also said:

Are there any morals left in our society? We have laws that allow women to kill their unborn children.

You brought up abortion with this very emotional choice of words. It's only natural that we're going to talk about it.

We as a society, encourage sexually deviant behavior.

If you're not talking about gay people, then what kind of sexually deviant behavior do we encourage and how? How do we, as a society, encourage bestiality, incest, pedophilia and necrophilia?

I used a story about a burglar to make a point.

Burglary is against the law. It's not a moral issue.

edit on 1/24/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

link   
I believed that the OP did a right and BRAVE thing to DISCUSS about morality issues.

It is very much sensitive, and would receive more brickbats than pats on the back, as is the norm, but nevertheless an important issue as we see our civilisation crumbling around us.

If we are to be a progressive society instead of being mere infants, then we must be open and receptive to views, to discuss and debate clinically and rationally. If we do not do so, there may no be no elsewhere to do so, and continue with our blunder and ignorances.

Afterall, this is only a discussion, and not an imposition of views, for ATS is not Congress where views are legislated to become laws. Such discussions here would only broaden our minds, even if we hold differing views, but one goal - to build a better society that leaves none behind, so that we may be better informed when casting our votes.

My salute to you OP.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I stated that I am against abortion, I believe it is wrong to kill another human being.

And most would agree with you? And it is also illegal? Not sure where you are going with that absent the Abortion debate and you said this was not a thread about abortion?

I am fairly certain there are other moral issues in the world, however the pro-choicers have made this thread into an argument about abortion.

I spoke of sexual deviant behavior, and the only thing they equate to that is homosexuality. I never mentioned homosexuality

Yes...it is interesting all the different interpretations of what constitutes "deviant"...and that is the point, absent criminal harm or abuse why exactly should that term be legislated?

I used a story about a burglar to make a point. If you've read through the post you will understand. If a burglar is given more rights than the homeowner, we have a problem as a society. Now you, on your island will be fine, until someone invades.

Many of those stories are Urban Myths and without a specific story it is difficult to begin a debate on the veracity of the claim or it's legal or moral implications.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join