It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something worth inventing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Okay so this is something I would like to see invented, I have had this idea for years (since I was a kid) and it has kinda evolved into a whole different idea.

I have always wanted to create a device that would induce the user into a dream state and make that person live a certain moment in life. At first I wanted it to be an idea as going to the movies. You would go to the movies and wear this device, say the movie was "Scarface" and with this device you could pick a character in the movie and live the life of Scarface. Now in this movie you wouldn't exactly have free will, because you would think the thoughts of Scarface and live the life of him. Or you could be the cop who stays up all night working hard to put this bad guy away. Then I started wondering how this could psychologically affect people. So it turned into something else.

What if there was this same machine, but it was programmed to make you get over things. For instance a smoker could use this machine, and live the life of quitting and build that mental strength just through the training. So it would be almost therapeutic to the user. There could be one on survival skills, you would be stuck out in the wilderness and be taught how to live off the land and be mentally setup for it also. This could go for a wide variety of things, you could learn skills that you never knew before because you would be able to reprogram your whole psyche to whatever you wanted.

Anyone agree or disagree?

What are your thoughts on this.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Neat idea, I always find myself coming up with inventions at the most random of times.
If this were to work it would have to provoke R.E.M so the time in the state would be nothing to the people observing

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

A very neat idea, But one I hope never comes to be. Call me paranoid, but if this invention ever becomes possible and is made; I can easily see it being warped into something that's soul purpose is *Not* harmless entertainment or therapy.. The potential for corruption is too big. The thought "Brainwashing" comes to mind.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SageBeno

Well the thing is, there is this invention underway where they can actually see what your dreaming
www.telegraph.co.uk...

So with technology like this you could learn to program dreams

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Inquisitive1

It actually worries me too.. And its my own idea >.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pelvi

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Yeah :/ I wish everyone wasn't trying to push an agenda on people. It would be pretty awesome to be able to learn a new language with a few days by training my brain or learning how to cook or anything. Kinda like the matrix

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
This has already been invented, it's called a Dream Machine made my Brion Gysin.

Watch the Documentary about it called Flicker.

Then build one yourself (45RPM model using an old Turntable is the easiest)

After much experimentation with one that I built, the possibilities are amazing

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Not sure I want a minimum wage worker hooking me up to a device that would alter my thought process. Medical doctors don't fully understand the fragile make-up of the brain. I don't want to come out of a movie talking like a Cuban drug dealer and all I get is a ticket refund because of the malfunction!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Reminds me of an episode of Star Trek - The Next Generation where Miles Obrien and an away team went to some new planet that had an evolved race on it, and Miles did something that broke one of their laws, either he carried on with a local lady or something trivial, but he was sentenced to Life in prison there. And because this advanced people had done away with barbaric punishment, they had invented a machine that put Obrien into an induced dream state that he spent the next 70 years or something in, in a cell with 1 other inmate, and for him it was the entirety of the rest of his life, but for Picard and everyone else it was 30 seconds...

And when he came back, he was completely messed up, hallucinating that he could still see the other inmate who he had grown to become friends with.

So for every good thing that such technology can bring, I'm sure there is a nasty way to use it.

I'm all for it however, as long as you didn't have to pay by the hour for 'downloadable content'

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
This has already been invented, it's called a Dream Machine made my Brion Gysin.

Watch the Documentary about it called Flicker.

Then build one yourself (45RPM model using an old Turntable is the easiest)

After much experimentation with one that I built, the possibilities are amazing

You can build your own goggles that can connect to the LPT port of a PC and fit the goggles with LED's so that you can have tham synchronize with a Binaural beat sound and get the best of both worlds.

Since all the dreammachine does is flicker a light at specific intervalls 8/13 pulses a second, you can use the goggles to achieve any interval.

I made a pair years ago. The hard part was detecting what the frequency in the binaural beat was, however there are many that can be created by yourself with an inaudible 22hz tone in it to trigger the leds.

I think it's a little bit more effective than sitting in front of an old turntable with a light dangling in the midd of a slotted cylinder

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Well, you see, with the Dream Machine....different parts of it flickered at different rates, so by tilting your head in front of it you could access different frequencies.

This would be harder to do with your eyes closed while operating some sort of keypad or computer.

Also, it makes your whole room flicker and spin around, which has other effects on your mind =)

Also, whatever you guys do, DONT buy anything from MindModulations.com who claim to sell these pre-made goggle setups. Their company is completely bogus and a money stealing scam.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

sharing experiences with others through a device as a thought of invention, i don't see that happening as the tech for it would need a lot of downsizing and a lot of newer power sources would have to come into existence first to even power such and item. a device like this was depicted in an early eighties movie called brainstorm or something similar to that , except in the movie someone died during a recording session with the machine, and the death tape would kill you if you were wearing the machine to replay the experience. sadly the best way humans learn, is by the school of hard knocks. we insist on learning the hard way. but i like your idea, if you run into one of these machines please alert us so that we may use it to practice karate on our bosses.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
Reminds me of an episode of Star Trek - The Next Generation where Miles Obrien and an away team went to some new planet that had an evolved race on it, and Miles did something that broke one of their laws, either he carried on with a local lady or something trivial, but he was sentenced to Life in prison there. And because this advanced people had done away with barbaric punishment, they had invented a machine that put Obrien into an induced dream state that he spent the next 70 years or something in, in a cell with 1 other inmate, and for him it was the entirety of the rest of his life, but for Picard and everyone else it was 30 seconds...

And when he came back, he was completely messed up, hallucinating that he could still see the other inmate who he had grown to become friends with.

So for every good thing that such technology can bring, I'm sure there is a nasty way to use it.

I'm all for it however, as long as you didn't have to pay by the hour for 'downloadable content'

hi
that was an excellent episode
another program springs to mind
i think it was the outer limits
a doctor invented a machine for prisoners
5 minutes seemed like yrs

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
reply to post by mainidh

Well, you see, with the Dream Machine....different parts of it flickered at different rates, so by tilting your head in front of it you could access different frequencies.

This would be harder to do with your eyes closed while operating some sort of keypad or computer.

Also, it makes your whole room flicker and spin around, which has other effects on your mind =)

Also, whatever you guys do, DONT buy anything from MindModulations.com who claim to sell these pre-made goggle setups. Their company is completely bogus and a money stealing scam.

well sure. but with the device I mentioned, you set it to scope set ranges. You don't need to move at all. Just like the headsets and goggles that cost thousands of dollars do based on this stuff.

If you close your eyes, your entire room is not impratnat. Have you even done it? You dont need a room. You do it with your eyes closed.

You want a gamma setup, set the app to gamma, sit back with goggles on and your entire world flashes. Or alpha, delta. etc.

Combined with binaural beats, you get lucid !!

I remember a PC app called flasher. It would flicker the screen as a set rate, same as this appears.

Nothing beats goggles and headhpones set to induce a state of mental satisfaction... but sadly, none of them create hallicinations like '___' without the drug.

None at all.. you need a real chemical to achieve that, and it's beyond the scope of this talk and out of bounds for ATS.

Oooohh its nearly friday, Yay!! Mentally I'll be on mars

edit on 25-1-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
In some traditions this "device" has already been invented, maybe on a higher plain of existence.
Sometimes it's hard not to feel that life is simply a midway game in the circus of heaven.

top topics

join