It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN slams Obama on Guantanamo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Good for the UN, for once being on the right side of things.

U.S. flouts law at Guantanamo, despite Obama vow: U.N.

The United States is still flouting international law at Guantanamo Bay, despite President Barack Obama's election pledge to shut the facility, the United Nations human rights chief Navi Pillay said on Monday.

"It is ten years since the U.S. Government opened the prison at Guantanamo, and now three years since 22 January 2009, when the President ordered its closure within twelve months. Yet the facility continues to exist and individuals remain arbitrarily detained - indefinitely - in clear breach of international law," Pillay said in a statement.

Don't worry UN, you are not alone in despising Obama.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Did Obama slam back,against the UN and ask why 800000 Tutsi died in Rwanda, while the UN watched?

Not to say they are not right,but then again,whos counting atrocity's nowadays??????

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Obama likes to please, so with the current influx of detainment laws, the US will still need a place to chat to people.

I could see a similar place to "enhance interrogate" build on one of the Florida Keys, some where like that.

There will always be a "Gitmo" , that you can bank on.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
UN needs to realize America is actually not a dictatorship. Obama's campaign promise can only work with the support of Congress..which isn't there.
I think the UN is far too used to dealing with nations that have kings and dictators moreso than actual democratic republics.

This subject annoys me actually. I remember the endless scared republicans saying no, we can't bring em on american soil because they weird the reps out or something. So...what does that mean then...endless trialless detentions administration after administration..

It is totally fair game for the next war we have, lets say Iran, for them to take american prisoners and send them off to somewhere else..like maybe parts of russia...and hold them until the end of time..flouting it on international television. Surely the right wing wimps will be totally understanding of this given that is what they demand.

And people wonder why american "justice" is laughed at around the world.

Obama could step it up though...but as suspected, he dropped it completely when it was defeated and will be using it as a talking point for his re-election campaign moreso than an actual desire to close it.

washington dc is filled with toads pretending to be princes

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Since when does 1 cancel out the other? And they probably did "slam" the parties involved in Rwanda - it just didn't make news, because who cares right? Just like who cares about the justice or lack thereof involved in Guantanamo Bay when American pride is on the line.
- Rather than getting indignant about the UN's opinion - Americans should focus on addressing it's disgraces.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

If I remember correctly, Obama signed a bill or something that said he would close down Guantanamo Bay in less than one year, and it's been much longer than that. So basically, he's a liar, which isn't really a suprise.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I was being very sarcastic, actually.

Sorry, if you didnt notice that.

If we are going to talk about "failures" can we at least list the UN's also?

Not giving Obama a pass,by any means,trust me................................

For the UN to slam ANYONE in itself, is a farce.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

It's a flawed mid-20th century institution constituted by early-19th century entities - what do you expect, lol - no offense.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Star for you!

None taken...........

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

I like to smile when I see countries use the UN to rage against America. The UN exist for one reason. So that America and her business partners (or.. allies, whatever) can stand up and pretend to be morally obligated to invade a country or place sanctions. If it has nothing to do with our interest, it doesn't matter, and if it's not something we started, it serves no purpose. Hate away UN .. you're just a tool of our desires.

top topics

join