It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disinfo Agents

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Okay once again I am making a thread asking a question to better my understanding.

1.On the note of disinfo agents, how can I tell who is fear mongering, who is distracting me with false ideas, who is dismissing true evidence and things of that nature.

2.My other question is, are these disinfo agents aware of the actual truth? Or is their job to just stir everyone up and confuse them with well.. disinfo..

3. Do these so called "disinfo" agents do more than just tell everyone "aliens aren't real" (not saying they are real just an idea) or can they pull idea's out of their bum and lead people down different paths lost and confused and to just give up on the situation.

4. How can I spot these so called disinfo agents when everyone seems to have a source (even though you can find evidence for everything on the internet.. supporting and against)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

I find a good way to spot a disinfo agent is to look at their past posts. If it's only on certain subjects, and they are a broken record for what is the official government story, chances are they could be disinfo trolls.

The only way to really be sure is not to believe anybody 100%. Do your own research apart from this website and come to your own conclusions.

There has even been posts that ATS itself is a disinfo site. Fine by me. Then I am the infiltrator!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Use the force puke!use the force!
This is a troll........dis info is hard to spot and hard to get out once planted deeply too.....
Dont believe anything till its proven tto your satisfaction.and others too.....then allow as it may be true....

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pelvi
Okay once again I am making a thread asking a question to better my understanding.

1.On the note of disinfo agents, how can I tell who is fear mongering, who is distracting me with false ideas, who is dismissing true evidence and things of that nature.

2.My other question is, are these disinfo agents aware of the actual truth? Or is their job to just stir everyone up and confuse them with well.. disinfo..

3. Do these so called "disinfo" agents do more than just tell everyone "aliens aren't real" (not saying they are real just an idea) or can they pull idea's out of their bum and lead people down different paths lost and confused and to just give up on the situation.

4. How can I spot these so called disinfo agents when everyone seems to have a source (even though you can find evidence for everything on the internet.. supporting and against)

I'm sorry. I'm unable to answer your question at this time as it might compromise our agents still in the field.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

edit on 23-1-2012 by lacrimosa because: cant beleive i reply to # like this.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
1. They stick to one or two topics of interest, profile-wise.
2. They spam.
3. They do not reply to successful rebuttals- in fact, they try to bury those points with unrelated responses.
4. They bust out logical fallacies like there's a fire sale on dissimulation.
5. They have three or four variations on the same talking point- but they refuse to explore tangential input.
6. Some will tell you that aliens are real.
7. Probably, most collect their check, don't ask questions about the larger picture. Oh! And you don't have to pay persona-management software.
edit on 23-1-2012 by Eidolon23 because: Oh!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

Who needs disinfo agents when you have a crappy education system.

The only disinformation agents are people who troll for the lulz, haven't read enough, read the wrong stuff or work in a corporate advertising department. We're bombarded with information from as many perspectives as there are people on the internet, anyone's opinion put forward convincingly enough will stick with some people. But there's only 1 set of facts. Everything goes through lenses, some are better than others... How thorough is yours?

PS:
I'm not saying disinfo agents don't exist (look at what COINTELPRO did to the Black Panthers) - but they're not here - ATS attracts enough transient seekers and loonies to confuse anyone, without having a government agency doing anything.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

Then don't come to my thread acting like a fool. Take your #t somewhere else

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
So once again.. Disinfo agents are almost just another conspiracy theory in some people's eyes? So its a conspiracy theory of a conspiracy theory site.. Where does it end?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Who said anything about a government agency?

Lots of private entities stand to benefit from shaping public opinion, and ATS is just as much an arena for that stuff as any other social networking site.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

It's not a conspiracy theory. It's a fact. Private contractors get paid to spread certain ideas on the internet.

Think male enhancement spam, and then extrapolate that to influencing public opinion.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eidolon23
1. They stick to one or two topics of interest, profile-wise.
2. They spam.
3. They do not reply to successful rebuttals- in fact, they try to bury those points with unrelated responses.
4. They bust out logical fallacies like there's a fire sale on dissimulation.
5. They have three or four variations on the same talking point- but they refuse to explore tangential input.
6. Some will tell you that aliens are real.
7. Probably, most collect their check, don't ask questions about the larger picture. Oh! And you don't have to pay persona-management software.
edit on 23-1-2012 by Eidolon23 because: Oh!

1. Perhaps a genuinely misguided person only has 1 or 2 topics of interest, or ATS activity was a passing phase.
2. Maybe they have ADD or are used to Twitter.
3. Maybe they lack debating skills or are only of an intelligence level to communicate on a certain level or couldn't be bothered dealing with the "other" and only wanna preach to their choir.
4. Cognitive Dissonance is everywhere in society.
5. Refer to point 3.
6. Opinions as fact is the norm in todays society.
7. Probably, most are bored internet users with a strange sense of humour and/or a product of an education system in need of a shake up and/or wasn't provided adequate role models to emulate growing up.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

Ah so its not like the illuminati or w/e people say they want you to believe. It could be for instance a (pulling this idea out my arse) geico representative who discredits other insurance agencies and point out flaws and or stretch the truth to convince people that maybe Alfa isn't the choice. Then somewhere along what this person talks about is low and behold GEICO (once again just me making it simple)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
reply to post by Pelvi

PS:
I'm not saying disinfo agents don't exist, but they're not here - ATS attracts enough transient seekers and loonies to confuse anyone, without having a government agency doing anything.

You cannot be so certain. I would be willing to bet you even recognize 1 or 2 of them as legitimate posters with their own opinions which differ from your own. The best disinfo agents are the ones you are not completely sure of.

They aren't just government either but also corporate.
edit on 23-1-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

Private entities like what? Professional conspiracy theorists (Icke, Jones and ilk), Survivalist suppliers and Sci-Fi writers perhaps.

EDIT:
So maybe you're right - should I now question the motives rather than content/intent of information posted pertaining to the above...
edit on 24/1/12 by ghostsoldier because: (no reason given)

EDIT2:
More than 90% of ATS users are would-be disinfo agents, in that we spread our own or someone elses opinion. Rather than objective facts we deal with incomplete information and emotive responses. Some people use more complete information than others. Half the conspiracy theories out there are just amalgamations of incomplete or borrowed information anyway. Its like a form of mysticism - for dealing with a more manageable worldview than the massive complexity and interconnectedness that actually exists.
edit on 24/1/12 by ghostsoldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Pelvi

A way I spot this is by looking at the frequency of posts regardless of whether you agree with their stance or not.

Some users are exceptionally high for their join date, for example, if someone joined in October last year and has 25000 posts that would raise alarm bells.

Here is one member I have spotted just as an example...

Link to disinfo agents account profile

Link to disinfo agents U2U inbox

Dinsinfo accounts subscriptions

edit on 24-1-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I always knew that Pelvi guy was ridin dirty

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Maybe they're young and greedy or have low self-esteem or both.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I wish I was a disinfo agent -.- getting paid to be on ATS?! Pleaaase. I spend all of my free time on this site. Not just for the conspiracy but for the wide variety of topics
. On a weekend I could spend 6-7 hours a day on ATS. Pay meee pleaaaase

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
wow going by the replies i must be a disinfo agent

Disinfo agent is a term used to describe someone who's viewpoint clashes with your own
, iv seen this done many a time on here and quite frankly its pretty aggravating. If i got paid for every-time i got called disinfo, gov agent, spy, so on and so forth i would be a very rich lady indeed
- hell i wish my life what THAT exciting -unfortunatly im just a lowly mother to 5 who works 2 jobs
- but then according to soem thats exactly what a disinfo agent would say

Hell going by the paranoia, disinfo accusations that are rife ont his site latly ATS is nothing but a big pool for gov agents to spread gossip

Im afraid when you are on a public forum - with people from across the globe your going to get a very wiiididdeee range of idea's, thoughts and beliefs, everyone doesnt have to agree with that people say, just nod your head and say ok then but i think your wrong because.......... instead of falling to the petty name calling & rudeness that people seem to fall into when they come across someone who happens to think differently to them. As me old mum always says "If you dont have something nice to say...dont say anything at all" or at least provide a thought out reply to that person instead of ranting/babbling nonsense often seen

new topics

<<   2 >>

join