It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Chevy dealers spurn Volt allocation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Some Chevy dealers spurn Volt allocation

www.autonews.com

Chevrolet dealers are turning down Volts that General Motors wants to ship to them … .

In the New York City market, … GM allocated 104 Volts to 14 dealerships in the area … .
Dealers took just 31 of them, the lowest take rate for any Chevy model in that market last month.

In Calif., Brett Hedrick, dealer principal at Hedrick's Chevrolet, sold 10 Volts last year. But in December and January he turned down all six Volts allocated to him … .
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
AP Source: GM to call back 8,000 Chevy Volts
Government Motors Volt Costs Taxpayers $250,000 per Vehicle

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Even the dealers understand basic math. Regardless of projections and promises, the Volt can't even make it onto some showrooms anymore.

How pathetic!

Here, we're fed lie after lie about a "green revolution" and the wise use of taxpayer "investments," when it is nothing more than crony capitalism and pandering to specific constituencies.

Now, even one of the largest recipients of Obama's largesse admits it can't deliver what they promised or what Volt advocates here take as gospel.

At the Detroit auto show this month, GM executives said they wouldn't chase a previous Volt production target set for 2012 -- 60,000 units, three-quarters of which would be for U.S. sales -- and vowed simply to build as many as customers want.
(GM sold 7,671 Volts in the United States in 2011, short of its 10,000-unit target. It launched the car in seven key markets starting in late 2010, but didn't begin a national rollout until this past autumn. )

Many dealers say they no longer have customers waiting in the wings.
www.autonews.com.../20120123/RETAIL07/301239977/1261

Bottom line, if anyone in this administration even cares about such things, is that the Volt served a political purpose and nothing more.

The truth will out.

Deny ignorance.

jw

www.autonews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Ship them all to the White House...send the bill to Obama....problem solved...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I really don't think electric or even hybrids have much of a future. Hydrogen, either full-cell or internal combustion probably, but nothing powered with a battery.

Who knows, it might end up as an infamous classic.

edit on 1/23/2012 by The1Prettiest1One because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Well, this will be interesting to watch play out. Remember how arbitrary and political the national car dealership closings were in the last round? Anyone think it'll never happen again? At this rate, with all the vehicle issues turning people off buying new ones like never before (and flat not having the money) I wouldn't guess it'll be too long before another round to keep GM afloat. The flood of bailout revenue won't last forever and they aren't any better as a company or balance sheet than they ever have been.

Anyone wanna take bets which dealerships hit the top slots on the next cut list?

I do respect the guts of the owners though. If more business owners would stand up, then things would really begin to change uphill, where the major corporations live. It'll be slow...but there just needs to be more brave ones like this to start the trend.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The volt is a jolt.

Do they come with an unlimited supply of fire extinguishers ?

How 'bout extended life insurance ?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I work at a Chevy dealership in Chicago and they couldn't give these things away. No one comes in to even look at one. We've had about 15 sitting in our lot taking up space for the past 4 months, and they'll probably still be there 4 months from now.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
How much did the taxpayers pay for this boondoggle? You know we are on the hook somewhere.
edit on 23-1-2012 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
What's supposed to be wrong with them? I have not followed the story on them...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
So we should just forget this whole alternative fuel thing because it is hard and we would rather just not do hard things. Way to support initiative and forward thinking.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
So we should just forget this whole alternative fuel thing because it is hard and we would rather just not do hard things. Way to support initiative and forward thinking.

Gasoline is not really the/a problem. Efficiency is, and since advances in efficiency are suppressed, or offset drastically by unnecessarily larger engines, the problem is not the fuel, but the people in control who artificially create a lack where there should not be one.

Anyone ever notice engines just keep getting bigger and bigger, but how much gas we need to buy remains almost the same? Smaller engines would solve the problem. If you arent going to be racing, or towing, you do not need a 300/400 HP V8 in your car. You just dont, its that simple.

What would really be some "forward thinking" is adding some common sense to the equation, and stopping with the constant overkill on engine size.

Of course, that would mean less gasoline sales, and lower profits... so itll never happen.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
They "sold" us THIS and they delivered THAT.

What did they think would happen?

With today's materials, why do cars look so crappy, unappealing, blah? The imagination is fantastic in the concept phase. Who screws everything up on the way to production?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
What's supposed to be wrong with them? I have not followed the story on them...

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has closed its safety investigation into fires that erupted from three Chevrolet Volt battery packs after severe crash tests by the agency.

volted and jolted

2nd Opinion

Be Sure to get a 3rd 4th and 5th Opinion Too !!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

Originally posted by spyder550

Gasoline is not really the/a problem. Efficiency is, and since advances in efficiency are suppressed, or offset drastically by unnecessarily larger engines, the problem is not the fuel, but the people in control who artificially create a lack where there should not be one.

Anyone ever notice engines just keep getting bigger and bigger, but how much gas we need to buy remains almost the same? Smaller engines would solve the problem. If you arent going to be racing, or towing, you do not need a 300/400 HP V8 in your car. You just dont, its that simple.

What would really be some "forward thinking" is adding some common sense to the equation, and stopping with the constant overkill on engine size.

Of course, that would mean less gasoline sales, and lower profits... so itll never happen.

I don't know about some people
but I feel safer with the wife and kids
in a nice big tahoe. I do not see them
surviving any type of major collision
in a volt, pruis, mini cooper...

You got a better chance of surviving
an accident in a bigger vehicle.
It is all logistics. My families
life is worth the little extra gas.
That said hydrogen is the closer future
battery power has another 100-150 years
to go before it can be viable and
even with that lithium is a finite resource like petrol.
You could roll out hydrogen stations
and cars in 50..
edit on 24-1-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by starviego
How much did the taxpayers pay for this boondoggle? You know we are on the hook somewhere.

According to some opinions: Chevy Volt Costing Taxpayers Up to $250K Per Vehicle

Analyst: 'This might be the most government-supported car since the Trabant'

Each Chevy Volt sold thus far may have as much as $250,000 in state and federal dollars in incentives behind it – a total of $3 billion altogether, according to an analysis by James Hohman, assistant director of fiscal policy at the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.

Hohman looked at total state and federal assistance offered for the development and production of the Chevy Volt, General Motors’ plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. His analysis included 18 government deals that included loans, rebates, grants and tax credits. The amount of government assistance does not include the fact that General Motors is currently 26 percent owned by the federal government.

Google the Problem $$

I Want A Refund !!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I have a hybrid and I like it. Before the volt was produced, I would get survey calls about the volt.

When I told them I wasn't interested do to the cost they seemed shocked and actually tried to talk me into changing some of my answers.

The projected cost then was like $45,000.

My question was why should I pay $20,000 more then the cost of a new hybrid.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This whole thing is so funny

they dress up the tech in an ugly dress and expect the public to date her. if they really wanted to push new tech they would plop the tech into a camero, the public doesnt care about the environment or anything else, they just want to impress their neighbors. stacy cant be seen driving about in a volt of all cars, what will people say

now they can sit back and say "hey we tried but the public just didnt bite" and cram the real tech that shouldve replaced gas decades ago, back into oblivion (since they own all the patents anyway, and the ones they dont they buy).

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I do respect the guts of the owners though. If more business owners would stand up, then things would really begin to change uphill, where the major corporations live. It'll be slow...but there just needs to be more brave ones like this to start the trend.

Thr owners/dealers are capitalist businessmen who borrow to "floor plan" their inventory. They can't afford to have their money tied up in interest-bearing notes to the bank while GM's junk sits on their lots.

I know several dealers, and they will tell you that 90% of car dealers are on the verge of default/insolvency at any given time.

Obama's central-planning economy does not work in an free market.

jw

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by roc525
I work at a Chevy dealership in Chicago and they couldn't give these things away. No one comes in to even look at one. We've had about 15 sitting in our lot taking up space for the past 4 months, and they'll probably still be there 4 months from now.

For every Volt your boss is warehousing on the lot, he could've financed 2 or 3 other vehicles you could've sold in that time, times 3.

No one in the "green" movement thinks about the real-life effects of government-driven edicts.
Little wonder that Spain discovered years ago that every "green" job kills 2 regular jobs.
jw

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by starviego

Based on actual sales, taxpayers have paid between $56,000 and $259,000 for each Volt sold since roll-out.

Study: Government Motors Volt Cost Taxpayers $250,000 per Vehicle

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join