It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 375-Year-Old French Bank Forgives Debts of Paris' Poorest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

www.good.is

Just as France was being chastised for excessive national borrowing with a sovereign debt downgrade, thousands of lucky French people had their financial obligations forgiven after the country's oldest bank decided to simply wipe their slate clean.

Granted, it's a small slate. The 3,500 clients who benefited from the bank’s largesse had debts of 150 euros or less (about $190) with the Crédit Municipal de Paris....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
It is unclear how well I should receive this news... it certainly isn't extraordinary largesse in the case of this particular bank.

...also known as the "Mont-de-piété," the bank of the poor, which has for centuries allowed the needy to get loans against their valuables—a kind of ethical pawnshop, or the original microlender. The small kindness was welcome for many.

I like the idea of a bank like this...

The unexpected gift is a way for the bank to celebrate its 375th anniversary. The Crédit Municipal de Paris was created in 1637 by Théophraste Renaudot, a doctor, journalist and philanthropist who wanted to combat poverty by giving the needy access to fair banking.

"The goal was to combat usury," explains Thierry Halay, who authored a history of the Mont-de-piété.

I wonder if there is anyplace in our society for such lenders?

Well, color me cynical if I can't see this in our future... but it is nice that somewhere out there a kind idea grew, took root, and endured.

www.good.is
edit on 23-1-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Thats exactly how a bank should be run and if banks actually worked like this as a normal occurance I think world would be a much better place with alot less poverty. Greed does not have to be the driving force even in the banking industry and kudo's to this bank for setting a good example.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

www.good.is

Just as France was being chastised for excessive national borrowing with a sovereign debt downgrade, thousands of lucky French people had their financial obligations forgiven after the country's oldest bank decided to simply wipe their slate clean.

Granted, it's a small slate. The 3,500 clients who benefited from the bank’s largesse had debts of 150 euros or less (about $190) with the Crédit Municipal de Paris....

MaxMars,

Wow! Imagine, a bank, in these times! There's a "light" in the darkness.
You know it's prophesied, France, the "eldest daughter of the Church",
she will return.

You lift our spirits,

colbe

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Hehehe .. that's not generosity! At that level of debt it actually cost the bank money to collect and maintain it.. they saved some money in the long run.
In the end it amounts to less than $500k

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Maxmars

Hehehe .. that's not generosity! At that level of debt it actually cost the bank money to collect and maintain it.. they saved some money in the long run.
In the end it amounts to less than $500k

Does it really matter to you when you desperately need the money to pay for the heating or feed your kids?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by staticarium

Maybe. I don't trust banks.. even banks taking petty loans out on someones grandmothers heirlooms. Or maybe especially banks that do that .. either way, don't trust a banker.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   
It is a nice start. I wish more banks this kind of thing more often. It does not really hurt them....

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
what wonders me is why 375 years? i mean its not a very special number compared to 500 or 400 ....

2012 anyone? hmmmm....

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It was an anniversary so they did something for their patrons. I still can't believe i read a bank forgave it's debtors. WOW. i starred and flagged because i want to find this when it gets moved to the hoax forum

Till it does this will make me smile thanks MM

new topics

top topics

join