It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bruins goalie Tim Thomas takes stand against U.S Government

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JuRySm
It has been suggested on this thread that we need more role models like this in this country but I disagree. According to the dictionary a role model is someone to be emulated, but I think we need more people that make their own decisions, walk their own path, and take the time to way options.

Looks to me like he is doing a great job of walking his own path. And im sure he weighed his options before he made this decision. Do you suggest he did this on a whim? I would think if you know anything about Tim Thomas it would be that he certainly does walk his own path, and he has gotten where he is through good old fashioned hard work.

Originally posted by JuRySm
For all we know the next big athlete could stand up on live tv and say that he believes that governments around the world should come together to build the worlds largest screwdriver. Teaching kids to follow people they see in media and sports seems dangerous to me.

He didnt do this to "teach" anybody. He is a ardent consevative and did not call a press conference or anything, he just did what he felt right. I personally applaud him.

edit on 24-1-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
For the first time in my adult life I am proud to be a Bruin fan, wait I don't watch hockey, well I'm now a fan.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Quite often sportspeople get put on a pedastal and referred to as 'role models' just because they recieve millions and can play one sport very well. Well now the world has a true role model sportsperson. Well played !

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

Good for him... he'll probably get audited this year as a result. I would like to think that Obama has better things to do, like his job, than meet with a sports team, especially a team from a sport as irrelevant as Hockey.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I just love this. To see anyone call this Crap ass Adminisrtaion on any thing what so ever. Lets Blow the doors off their back room midnight blue print to screw the people Alinsky style.
"""" IMPEACH EM ALL! """"My son just join the Marines...I hate to tell him the truth after boot camp that his Commander and Theive is our problem. Its obvious that Barry, who ever the hell is is, ain't going to court to try prove his SSN won't pass E-Verify. What a laugh!!!
I have to piss and give blood just to keep my crap ass job.Then let them stick their hands up my wang cheeks to get a job!!!!! This dip doesn't/ CANNOT even prove he's a CITIZEN!!!! Thanks you stupid voters who let this happen!!!!. OMG!!! piss test the guy , I bet 10 to 1 he comes up positive for Coke or Smoke hangin with the Bro's like Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poop, turning the WH into a crap hole.
OK , what am I to say...its just unbelievable Americans want to be Commies. Count me out! I hope to GOD and ANYONE reading this gets pissed off and tel their sob friends who support this pin head to Snap out of it!!! Its already a BS country with NDAA passing. OH You don't know...then YOUR THE F'N problem. Don't vote you uneducate POS. Thanks for letting me spew to the one's who are just ignorant to wtf is happening. All others, Pray for my son who has know idea he's wearing a BLUE HELMET!!!!!
PS, The rebublican are just stupid fools...Newt...Romney...Might as well add McShame to the looser pack of junk. Ron Paul is all we haqve to get the job and life style of America BACK. Don't be a sissy, for once ,do the RIGHT THING. TURN OFF THE TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!turn on the radio, XM,,Church,Alex, WND, DRUDGE, BLACKLISTED NEWS, Wilcowl, C2C AM...goood lord ...use your brain..don't be following the pipe piper music...you college Cut outs......Peace...only after Discloser will they come to help!
edit on 24-1-2012 by Axis7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2012 by Axis7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Most Hockey players are stand up guys anyway...The only sport left with true gentlemen..not thugs hunting a paycheck

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
BS

he's a birther

just kidding

but a millionaire who plays a childs game has no business whining about the US system

spare me the BS
edit on 24-1-2012 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reading the medias portrayal makes me so mad...they make him seem so unamerican because of this when in fact it's the most american thing anyone has done for as long as I can remember...SERIOUSLY.
he said it exactly how most of us feel. Tim Thomas didn't make this about himself, he chose to speak the ideas behind it,

the media is the one making this about Tim Thomas, don't forget it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

REMINDER:

The topic of this thread is Bruins goalie Tim Thomas takes stand against U.S Government. Not other members, nor their avatars.

Please debate and discuss the topic and the topic only.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Ive been a hockey fan since 1992, It takes plenty of guts to stand in that net and have another grown man shot a piece of 5 1/2 oz of vulcanised rubber at you at 90mph.... But it takes really big balls to stand on your own as he did. A true patriot, in every sense of the word.. Outstanding in net & out.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I think he should've went with his team, you play for a team, your payed by the team, you follow your team. An if Tim actually has political views why miss the opportunity to tell them to the retards that matter.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Ha ha....I wonder is a president would ever wanna scrap with a hockey player...Hockey player: Hat trick The White house: 0

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

I think he should've went with his team, you play for a team, your payed by the team, you follow your team. An if Tim actually has political views why miss the opportunity to tell them to the retards that matter.

Because under the circumstances you just described then he is not there to challenge a Presidents political views, but rather to to accept an honor from that President and under those conditions he is with his team and should act as a team member and graciously accept the honor and keep his political views to himself.

However, being a part of that team does not mean he has to surrender his own political views or any other part of his own individuality. Champions are people who hold certain characteristics that separate them from the majority. Courage of conviction tends to be one of those characteristics. On the ice such courage of conviction should be inline with his teammates and coaches. Champions, however, do not leave their courage of conviction in the locker room, and off the ice a champion has other decisions he, or she, must make that have little to do with teams. This was one such decision.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sith9157
Most Hockey players are stand up guys anyway...The only sport left with true gentlemen..not thugs hunting a paycheck

Agreed for the most part.

Sean Avery would be one glaring exception.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Title of the thread should be : Tim Thomas skips out on meaningless PR event with President.
edit on 25-1-2012 by L00kingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Good on him for standing up for his beliefs,one man can make a difference!
So many people are standing up becoming lions instead of lambs

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr
Looks to me like he is doing a great job of walking his own path. And im sure he weighed his options before he made this decision. Do you suggest he did this on a whim? I would think if you know anything about Tim Thomas it would be that he certainly does walk his own path, and he has gotten where he is through good old He didnt do this to "teach" anybody. He is a ardent consevative and did not call a press conference or anything, he just did what he felt right. I personally applaud him.

edit on 24-1-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

No my intentions were not to question Mr. Thomas's decision or to question his work ethic, which as a professional athlete which is more than likely 100 times more than mine. I also believe that yes he thought it through. My question was if in this day in age having role models is still a good idea for kids. In the past kids grew up wanting to be just like their favorite sports figures. They have emulated their movements and actions, and now it seems throughout this website the knock on our society is that we have all become sheep. Is it dangerous to allow your kids to grow up wanting to be like someone else. That was the question I was trying to pose. Really had nothing to do with the actions taken by Thomas, but more the reaction of wanting more athletes to act like him. Sorry for confusion.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

Being part of a Team does not mean you have to give up your individuality. A Team is comprised of individuals working together. Also, every Team needs leadership, the kind of leadership that promotes what Tim has demonstrated is brilliant. He was not partisan, he was was making a socio-political statement. He was demonstrating that it is acceptable to think for one's self and stand up for what you believe in . He was also saying through this (in)action that it is NOT ok to be a sheeple.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by shamaniski
I don't follow sports at all but I now have a new favorite professional athlete.

You took the words from my mouth.
Thank God there are still some high-visibility people who will stand up and speak the truthl regardless of how unpopular the message.
Funny, I never cared for hockey before.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Tim Thomas makes a new statement on his facebook page:

"I Stand with the Catholics in the fight for Religious Freedom.

"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

- by Martin Niemöller, prominent German anti-Nazi theologian and Lutheran pastor, best known as the author of the poem First they came...."

Damn, Tim is a true patriot.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join