It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"God is an Imaginary Friend" Athiest Billboards in Denver-

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Maybe someone already addressed this, but your rights =/= what some other guys are comfortable with you doing, unless you're consenting to them being you're masters.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

I mean last year I seem to remember christian billboards placed ALL OVER THE WORLD saying the "rapture" was going to happen on May 21st

This is what you get when you have christians who do not know the word because they do not read it other than just going to church on sunday and listening. If you want to learn to word you gotta read it yourself.

Mark 13:32 "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Acts 1:7 He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.

Neophytes for you

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It warms my heart to think that if there is a god, he is shallow enough to waste effort to bless a football player while little kids die long horrible deaths from abuse and starvation.

Go god!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
As an athiest I feel alone. We do not have congregations, we largely keep our opinion to ourselves and we are constantly shunned by the believers. It is nice to see like minded athiests exist in larger quantities.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

i just wanted to add anything to this thread to keep it going because i think this is amazing! this needs to start happening on a wider scale.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
As an athiest I feel alone. We do not have congregations, we largely keep our opinion to ourselves and we are constantly shunned by the believers. It is nice to see like minded athiests exist in larger quantities.

Lol. What would you preach about? Everyone of you already have your own opinions set firmly in your minds. You're all an open book, so what would you possibly have to teach eachother? You all seem to already know everything you could possibly want to know. For you it would be like meeting up to hear someone tell you what you already know. Pointless.

We teach eachother the word and how to have faith and to have patience and forgiveness and everytime we read the bible we learn something new that we missed before. It's a living word beause its always changing. Everytime you read it you learn soething new, evne if it was averse or passage you read before.
edit on 24-1-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx

i just wanted to add anything to this thread to keep it going because i think this is amazing! this needs to start happening on a wider scale.

Agreed.

We need more of this.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Eh, not really surprising. I've actually yet to come across an atheist who was genuinely a nice person. They always come off horribly arrogant and they always just seem to talk endlessly about how they hate Christianity (but no other religions, interestingly). Insufferable is the word I'd use to describe them collectively. They're quite simply not nice people.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Athiests could teach eachother the mysteries of the universe, how to improve humanity without the restrictions of a master controlling your mind, discuss the involvment of relgion in political life and the detremental impact it has. There are alot of things we could teach eachother and saying otherwise would be ignorant.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowland8
Eh, not really surprising. I've actually yet to come across an atheist who was genuinely a nice person. They always come off horribly arrogant and they always just seem to talk endlessly about how they hate Christianity (but no other religions, interestingly). Insufferable is the word I'd use to describe them collectively. They're quite simply not nice people.

I disagree completly. But you're trolling so you know I should probably ignore it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowland8

there is a reason we act arrogant towards christians but unless you could think outside the box you will never understand why

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Some imaginary friends have more REAL friends than others do, it doesn't make them any less imaginary.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Athiests could teach eachother the mysteries of the universe, how to improve humanity without the restrictions of a master controlling your mind, discuss the involvment of relgion in political life and the detremental impact it has. There are alot of things we could teach eachother and saying otherwise would be ignorant.

So in otherwords you would teach eachother something not a one of you knows anything about? That makes alot of sense
. Oh, wanna teach eachoher the big bang? Can you prove it happened? No? Were you there when it happened? No? So youre teaching eachother fairy tales .

Youre not religious, so why would you discuss religion? Just to gossip? Detrimental impact of religion? Surely its not more detrimental than the laws of men that allow 40 million babies to be butchered a year in the U.S. alone. Allows drug usage and drinking of alcohol that kills millions each year. Would you teach abstinence of sex or just usage of protection? I rest my case.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

The irony is that if we did get together we could declare religious status to get tax exemptions.

We could meet on Fridays at a strip club that has a booze and a buffet, offering and communion.

The sermons would be less boring and where else could you make it rain during the offering.

It's not a surprise that this happened in Boulder Colorado. There are more trust fund babies per capita there than any other city in America. Idle rich means lots of education, and a nagging need to share their viewpoint with others.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeBoss
What a bunch of attention whores, if they want to be atheists then be it, don't waste money on some billboard attacking Christianity.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I wish I could give you flags and applause for that.

They want to "encourage a discussion"? By calling someone's God "an imaginary friend"? Talk about rude. You know, it's the height of human ego (and human ignorance) to say absolutely that an omnipotent being does not exist. Real critical thinkers, not Dawkins sycophants or someone that can just pronounce Epicurus, will know what I mean. At the very most, a mortal being can not know whether an omnipotent being exists.

/TOA

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

What a bunch of attention whores, if they want to be atheists then be it, don't waste money on some billboard attacking Christianity.

They want to "encourage a discussion"? By calling someone's God "an imaginary friend"? Talk about rude. You know, it's the height of human ego (and human ignorance) to say absolutely that an omnipotent being does not exist. Real critical thinkers, not Dawkins sycophants or someone that can just pronounce Epicurus, will know what I mean. At the very most, a mortal being can not know whether an omnipotent being exists.

/TOA

However, it doesn't make the statement on the billboard untrue. The -closest- we can get right now (until death) is that God both Does and Does Not exist. Neither can be proven over the other.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

That reply was confusing and all over the place. I assume it was some sort of attack on my position, but I will attempt to answer your questions anyway. Just to clarify I am not saying athiests should have congregations (I wouldn't attend, I have better things to do) but I am simply saying their is alot we could teach eachother.

Oh, wanna teach eachoher the big bang? Can you prove it happened? No? Were you there when it happened? No? So youre teaching eachother fairy tales ..

Ok, this was a bit random. But yes we could discuss and learn about the theories of how humans and earth came into existence and adopt our own positions. No I wasn't there, that I just like saying "were you there when God created earth in 7 days?" No you weren't so as far as I am concerned you're teaching fairy tales. The difference between science and religion is massive. Their is a reason why the Big Bang Theory is called a theory. It is because we haven't verified it 100% and there is no way we can. Atleast we recognize this fact.

Youre not religious, so why would you discuss religion? Just to gossip? Detrimental impact of religion? Surely its not more detrimental than the laws of men that allow 40 million babies to be butchered a year in the U.S. alone. Allows drug usage and drinking of alcohol that kills millions each year.

Yes religion has a detremental impact that affects even us athiests. For example laws created and/or supported on the basis of religous morals. Another example is Sharia law which affects people in many Islamic countries. Another example is relgious zealots, wether Muslim, Christian aor Jewish using religion as a justification to commit atrocities.

Would you teach abstinence of sex or just usage of protection? I rest my case.

Both. It is logical to tell people that abstinence is the best way to aviod STD's, STI's and unwanted pregnancies. That would be the first lesson. The second lesson would be in regards to the best methods of safe sex and protection. (i.e. the pill, condoms, contraceptives of all kinds) and how to use them correctly. There is nothing bad about teaching teenagers to be safe. They are going to engage in such acts, wether you like it or not. They have throughout history and they will continue to do so.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

/TOA
Blah blah blah. You can't know wheter or not gigant man-eating rasins exist. No mortal being can!
I can call your god anything I want becuase it's all a fairytale. I don't expect to be struck down by gods lightningbolts any time soon.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ThisIsMyName

Why because it separates us. It divides us, it creates Us VS. Them. This is not good. Do we all have to accept and believe the same thing? Of course not. But religions have turned into something literal, which it wasn't intended to be. People actually think that there is heaven in the skies of earth, and hell in the ground somewhere, and a god and a devil, who are constantly fighting, and the talking snake and the whole bit. This is borderline insanity. Im sorry but it is. Its just like going around talking to an imaginary friend. If your friends started doing that all of the sudden, you would suspect something fishy to be going on. The real thing is the power and the answers and the things we ask of "god", really exists in us, not some outside separate entity. This is the problem, people have lost all accountability, and there always has to be some outside force to influence things, and/or to blame for things. This is a big problem, as we should all be accountable for ourselves, and we can do more for ourselves than any outside force ever could.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I guess my only question is..

How do they KNOW?

Maybe life and evolution is some sort of miraculous process by which God is both experiencing himself and sharing his kingdom/treasure with all his children, the atheists included!

Can they be so sure of themselves?

And even if they are absolutely right about it, why offend those who are comforted by their faith, or who might even find it workable and highly effective?

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join