It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"God is an Imaginary Friend" Athiest Billboards in Denver-

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Not religious here. Just wanted to point out the fact that they posted their billboard after protesting a nativity scene?
Seems a bit hypocritical.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by r3axion

Originally posted by something wicked

The American heritage dictionary includes the two subdefinitions amongst others -

2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.

a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.

I fail to see how either of these definitions apply to the atheist community as a whole.

I'd suggest a lot of the comments on this thread and others show signs of the latter definition when talking about atheism.

None of those comments represent the entire atheist community. Everyone will have their "altered" perception, as is with Christianity.
edit on 25-1-2012 by r3axion because: (no reason given)

I totally agree (not sure why you've singled out Christianity from any other faith based following though). But you agree that this definition can apply to some followers of atheism

edit on 25-1-2012 by something wicked because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2012 by something wicked because: cleanup

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

Well mostly because that's the direction this topic has taken, of course it will apply to any religion in which there is a large following of people.

I don't have a problem with original Christianity, but I do have a problem with the modernized version in which evangelists try shoving their belief system down everyone's throat. If someone doesn't follow, they are less of a person.

That is not what Christianity was based on and it seems as if people have strayed from that.

But basically the only thing I can agree on, by definition of cult, is that some atheists may be borderline obsessive in arguing with creationists. But that can go both ways.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Thats actually very, very insulting. Very condescending too. And how can you say religion will be the fall of man, when an atheist does something like this? Atheism* will be the fall of man, because it allows for no morality.
edit on 25-1-2012 by isaac7777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
reply to post by wlord

Just remember: More wars have been fought, and more blood has been shed from religion, than atheism. That tells me religion will most certainly be the downfall for human kind. I dont mind if or what people believe in, but to quote the late, great John Lennon, "if your talkin bout destruction, dont you know that you can count me out?"

edit on 23-1-2012 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

Another pathological liar, atheist. Atheist's killed more people in the 20th century then all the war's over religion.

The thiest's need to put up billboards across the nation Showing two things:

1 a picture of a nice American community(Country on religion), and the second a picture of a soviet labor camp(country on atheism).

If atheist's went about and formed their own like minded communities I could respect that to a degree. But instead what do they do? Act like a mix between the KKK and Jehovah witnesses.

I think atheist's need to look themselves in the mirror and wonder why most civilizations offered their kind zero tolerance. Because you can't tolerate them, you give them an inch and they try and use that to punish your kids for engaging in religion in school(private prayer, cultural messages like "God bless you" when a person sneezes etc).

In fact I find it odd as soon as White Supremacy became so yesterday a certain demo-graph of instigators adopted this atheist supremacy BS. Because the sheer audacity, and dogged ignorance of atheist's certainly reminds me of the garbage White(Anglo) Supremacist's pulled in the early 1900's.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady

Actually, wars are fought under the guise of religion by countries wanting to gain control of someone else's homeland.

People will fight and die for their faith and governments use faith as as a tool to get them to fight to gain oil and whatever other natural resources they desire that doesn't belong to them.

"to get them to fight to gain oil"

I'd think you were talking about the US...... Most all the wars were fought n defense of the US, and whatever others were geo-political, not religious.

edit on 25-1-2012 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus

Actually, wars are fought under the guise of religion by countries wanting to gain control of someone else's homeland.

People will fight and die for their faith and governments use faith as as a tool to get them to fight to gain oil and whatever other natural resources they desire that doesn't belong to them.

I'd think you were talking about the US...... Most all the wars were fought n defense of the US, and whatever others were geo-political, not religious.

Fact of the day: There were wars before the US existed. "Most all the wars" not even close

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobra.EXE
funny these morons have the nerve to go up and place such an evil statement that attacks something that is nothing short of the center of the universe, something that has teached man so many morals and ethics and how to be a better person, about a great savior that can really end all wars and all corruption in the world if we just follow his teachings.

these are clearly people who have never given jesus a chance in their lives, people who just live a miserable dark life with no direction, one full of loneliness and contempt, ones that either grew up hating something they dont understand or are willing to grasp to understand.

then i start realizing that some people just arent meant to understand an infinite creator, arent meant to wrap their minds around it because theyre too selfish and ignorant, they think they can answer everything thats under their nose when theyve never been far beyond.

And this is an absolutely perfect example why so many people dislike modernized Christianity, and it is becoming a declining religion. You shove your beliefs down everyone's throat and look down on them as if they are somehow inferior to you. If they don't believe, they're automatically labeled as "miserable," "dark," and "lonely." Why? Because you need faith in something in order to find fulfillment in life? That tells me your true feelings of existence.

We're selfish and ignorant? What is it your bible says again?

Romans 14:1

Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters.

What else?

1 John 2:6

Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Do you understand that?

It's people like you who ruin an otherwise respectable religion. Absolutely pathetic. You're ignorant to the teachings of the religion you claim to uphold. I'm almost willing to bet you've never opened a bible in your life. If you have, you lack serious reading comprehension skills.

Using the rules of your adversaries against them? How sad, how pathetic. Also: don't speak on that which you know jack on.

Sure some closet atheist's left the Church as soon as became socially acceptable to do so. But the Churches have spent the last 100+ years alienating men. Well that has finally come to roost as men as a whole abandon the Church(see Conservative Misandry). And if men want nothing to do with Church, and if it is only Older women and child bearing women(to a small degree) keeping the Churches alive, sooner or later younger women will also permanently drift away from the Church.

Me personally I like the Gospel of Jesus(everything beyond that is a waste of time, but that is my opinion). It suites Caucasians/Germanic Peoples. Then again I know it suites me. I know this is where you bring out the "you are a hypocrite" bs.

The truth is I am a "civilized barbarian". Sure my heart/soul may not like violence, sure hurting others may cause me a great deal of pain. But there is still a matter of several thousand years of barbarian instinct. That is something that won't go away easily.

The person you bashed, yes that individual came across as a little off the mark. Now imagine such a person untempered at all. The truth of the matter is, the Gospel of Jesus was and is to this day, a vital part of Western Civilization. We may not be perfect or live up to the ideals of it. But it does bring comfort and stays an otherwise unruly hand.

Christianity is not a crutch, but it is a walking stick.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Plotus

Fact of the day: There were wars before the US existed. "Most all the wars" not even close

Did you even read what I wrote? What I quoted?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I suppose we will always have people here on the forum to stirr crap up, evolutionists, creationalists, religious, aethist, gay, straight comunist, socalist, and every other division. I just see these posts as an attempt to draw lines and attempt to inflame the members. Saddly I fell for it once again, but in the future, I will just pass over these type threads.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Using the rules of your adversaries against them? How sad, how pathetic. Also: don't speak on that which you know jack on.

Sure some closet atheist's left the Church as soon as became socially acceptable to do so. But the Churches have spent the last 100+ years alienating men. Well that has finally come to roost as men as a whole abandon the Church(see Conservative Misandry). And if men want nothing to do with Church, and if it is only Older women and child bearing women(to a small degree) keeping the Churches alive, sooner or later younger women will also permanently drift away from the Church.

Me personally I like the Gospel of Jesus(everything beyond that is a waste of time, but that is my opinion). It suites Caucasians/Germanic Peoples. Then again I know it suites me. I know this is where you bring out the "you are a hypocrite" bs.

The truth is I am a "civilized barbarian". Sure my heart/soul may not like violence, sure hurting others may cause me a great deal of pain. But there is still a matter of several thousand years of barbarian instinct. That is something that won't go away easily.

The person you bashed, yes that individual came across as a little off the mark. Now imagine such a person untempered at all. The truth of the matter is, the Gospel of Jesus was and is to this day, a vital part of Western Civilization. We may not be perfect or live up to the ideals of it. But it does bring comfort and stays an otherwise unruly hand.

Christianity is not a crutch, but it is a walking stick.

Sad? Pathetic? To use facts and point out incompetence, ignorance, and contradiction in his statements? Excuse me for knowing more than a 'Christian' knows about their own supposed religion. How dare I!
This is exactly what is wrong with the thinking process of modernized Christians. You don't even realize half the # you're saying. That's like getting angry at a ref for penalizing a player who blatantly went against the rule book. Surely you're aware how funny you just sounded.

Now, if you could, please enlighten me on which I "know jack on."
Just because I don't subscribe to Christianity doesn't mean I'm ignorant to it....
In fact, it's kind of sad that I just had to prove that to one of you. And now again for the second time....

You are a hypocrite. I'm glad you saw that one coming. That shows you're aware of your hypocrisy, which is even sadder. This is exactly what I mean about modernized Christianity. You pick the things out of the bible that you like and just run with it, leaving everything else, and 'tweaking' what ever you see fit. It's a "waste of time." Sadly that's not how the bible works, and that is nothing of which Jesus taught. Please go back and review the quote from 1 John 2:6. I don't think you understand it quite clearly. You're not a Christian, you're a pseudo Christian.

Maybe you missed this little line so I'll quote it so you can read it again.

It's people like you who ruin an otherwise respectable religion.

Now go back and think over your little rant.

U mad, bro? I just totally tore down your entire belief system.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
"...to encourage an open dialog between atheists and the public..."

To me, it just sounds like they're trolling. I can see Christians and "religious" people all over getting offended by this sort of thing. Although I haven't seen one of these billboards in question, I don't see how that catchphrase isn't intended to be inflammatory.

I'll just state my opinion on this matter for good measure. There are some things in existence that cannot be ascertained by logic alone. I find (many) people who choose to live their lives by sight alone are not only cynical, but cold and close-minded. That's just my two cents, and I'm certainly entitled to them.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by np6888

Go check your facts as to why all the wars fought have been fought. Religion. God & Religion has killed more people than old age. And from where I stand, if you call yourself a christian or man of God, IE: Priest's & Preachers and you commit a crime no matter the nature, it's worse compared to us sinners, as we aint hiding behind a mask of religion. Or claim the "devil" made us do it.

Freedom OF & FROM religion..... More info at Freedom From Religion Foundation.... When we as a people, stop leaning on an imaginary being, then & only then will we grow as a species..

And for the record, I am not ignorant. just an atheist.. A life un-clouded with religion and the fairey tales it all involves. To beleive & live your life by those fairey tales, THAT"S IGNORANT.
edit on 25-1-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
I guess my only question is..

How do they KNOW?

Maybe life and evolution is some sort of miraculous process by which God is both experiencing himself and sharing his kingdom/treasure with all his children, the atheists included!

Can they be so sure of themselves?

And even if they are absolutely right about it, why offend those who are comforted by their faith, or who might even find it workable and highly effective?

Could someone reply to this please, thanks.

Perhaps some may note the humor..?

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Do you think atheist might find this kind of thing offensive?
www.allfacebook.com...
from the 8000 death threats atheist revived on a fox news web page

now I have some woo woo beliefs of my own – but guess what I don’t care if no body else believes as I do and I surely wouldn’t want to kill people who don’t believe as I do – I guess im just comfortable with my woo and recognise my woo suits me and that it might not suit others

So what’s wrong with Christians?
Why are they so insecure about their faith?
Why do some of them fly into a murderous rage if someone doesn’t believe as they do?

edit on 25-1-2012 by racasan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by racasan

I don't know what the debating tactic you just used is called, but you didn't address what I was asking about..

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by racasan

Do you think atheist might find this kind of thing offensive?
www.allfacebook.com...
from the 8000 death threats atheist revived on a fox news web page

now I have some woo woo beliefs of my own – but guess what I don’t care if no body else believes as I do and I surely wouldn’t want to kill people who don’t believe as I do – I guess im just comfortable with my woo and recognise my woo suits me and that it might not suit others

So what’s wrong with Christians?
Why are they so insecure about their faith?
Why do some of them fly into a murderous rage if someone doesn’t believe as they do?

I keep hearing about this... What Christians??? All christians I know DO NOT ACT like this. Are you sure that it's not someone else making these attacks? Maybe a radical church. That does not make them any more christian than a muslim.

Christian = a person that follows Christ AND his examples... Without both, you have something that IS NOT Christian. You have someone that likes the name but cant take the burden with it.

Why people throw around this stuff as if one size fits all is beyond me. I dont know any radical religious people, and Im from Louisiana!!! I dont know any fanatics either. Who I know are good down home people that will litteraly make a place for a stranger at the table, invite them in and have them sleep over if needed. That's a christian in my eyes.

Those people wearing all white Tuxs, gold rings, necklaces, drive fancy limos, caddies, and preaches the word according to the bible... Hmmm Somehow that does not jive! Jesus told him desciples to go without staff or sandle. Compare that to ummm.. EVERY church today.

I know people who would do this, though I know not one church.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

The tactic is called pointing out the elephant in the room – the religious have a history of insanity and killing those who wont bow down to their totems and I was trying to point out that your limp wristed question of “why offend those who are comforted by their faith” isn’t actually facing the reality of the situation

Now I don’t know about you but I think death threats are far more troubling than someone simply not believing in your superstition

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
I guess my only question is..

How do they KNOW?

How do you know?
The lack of evidence is enough to support atheistic claims.

Maybe life and evolution is some sort of miraculous process by which God is both experiencing himself and sharing his kingdom/treasure with all his children, the atheists included!

cute story.

Can they be so sure of themselves?

yes

And even if they are absolutely right about it, why offend those who are comforted by their faith, or who might even find it workable and highly effective?

If anyone is offended by something little like that, it shows just how insecure they are in their faith that they would need everyone agreeing with them in order to feel comfortable.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

I do accept your point that not all Christians are insane-in-the-brain and that many if not most are ‘good people’

But the people who responded on the fox website:
identified themselves as christian, they where responding to a religious/christian ‘news’ item and their responses where at a ‘spiritual’ level I have come to associate with christians – so I am going to guess they are christians

Now It looks like you as a (nice) christian have a problem, in that there are some people in the world who are putting the name of your religion to shame

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join