It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"God is an Imaginary Friend" Athiest Billboards in Denver-

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
reply to post by wlord

Just remember: More wars have been fought, and more blood has been shed from religion, than atheism. That tells me religion will most certainly be the downfall for human kind. I dont mind if or what people believe in, but to quote the late, great John Lennon, "if your talkin bout destruction, dont you know that you can count me out?"

edit on 23-1-2012 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

Yeah, like years ago dude more like centuries ago...wake up this is 2012 we don't start wars because of religion. I guess we invaded Iraq because God told us to.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
funny these morons have the nerve to go up and place such an evil statement that attacks something that is nothing short of the center of the universe, something that has teached man so many morals and ethics and how to be a better person, about a great savior that can really end all wars and all corruption in the world if we just follow his teachings.

these are clearly people who have never given jesus a chance in their lives, people who just live a miserable dark life with no direction, one full of loneliness and contempt, ones that either grew up hating something they dont understand or are willing to grasp to understand.

then i start realizing that some people just arent meant to understand an infinite creator, arent meant to wrap their minds around it because theyre too selfish and ignorant, they think they can answer everything thats under their nose when theyve never been far beyond.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrypticCryptid
As someone who is comfortable in my beliefs and understanding that other people are entitled to their's, I think it's fine. If Christians can advertise for churches, put up passages or psalms, then they should be allowed to put up whatever they want. It's their money, right?

*But*...(there's always a "but") I think if they're doing it just to ruffle some feathers, essentially being nothing but IRL trolling, then they're just adding to the conflict and not resolving anything.

It is their believe that there is not a god

It is the church's believe that there is

Both stand up and express their believes.If you are going to call 1 of them a troll you should have to call both of them a troll or none at all.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlord
I'm not really religious but, IMO- atheism on a full scale will be the fall of man .

Wrong.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM

So do these men have the right to put these billboards up, IMO they do. Just as religious billboards are put up in town.

Where does the right to free speech derive to an atheist?

They have the right because they say so? Because they, man, say so?

If one man can give then another can take away.

We are all equals.

Now to someone who believes their rights come from a higher authority than man, well then they have an argument.

But that would make them NOT an atheist.

Oh bother.

With Love,

Your Brother

Sounds like some half-thought propaganda to me.

You're saying that they don't have the right to post those billboards because god didn't say so?

So.. You're saying god literally told modern christians that they can post billboards forcing their beliefs onto others?

I don't think so.

If that's true, they belong in psychiatric wards. Normal people don't hear voices, and god doesn't literally speak to the average Joe on the subject of putting up billboards.

That said - Only man said anything at all. A higher power never spoke.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobra.EXE
funny these morons have the nerve to go up and place such an evil statement that attacks something that is nothing short of the center of the universe, something that has teached man so many morals and ethics and how to be a better person, about a great savior that can really end all wars and all corruption in the world if we just follow his teachings.

these are clearly people who have never given jesus a chance in their lives, people who just live a miserable dark life with no direction, one full of loneliness and contempt, ones that either grew up hating something they dont understand or are willing to grasp to understand.

then i start realizing that some people just arent meant to understand an infinite creator, arent meant to wrap their minds around it because theyre too selfish and ignorant, they think they can answer everything thats under their nose when theyve never been far beyond.

I understand that this great savior who can end all wars has been the reason for too much bloodshed to forget.

The murder of millions of Jews, Muslims, Pagans, etc over many centuries? Crusades? The Inquisitions? Condemning those who don't follow their path, despite being told the golden rule is 'turn the other cheek?'

Oh, but they're not following Jesus' true teachings, right -

Whatever, dude. No one ever will. It's written in the Bible that men are inherintly sinners, and Jesus didn't even write the Bible, so are you really following HIS teachings?

I'm sure the answer will be yes because of the righteous nature of Christianity. It's infaliable, even though it's in the hands of men, who are quite imperfect.

Last time I checked, these men had the right to post anything they wanted, because Christians don't get the final say in America. A lot of people find religion grotesque, perverted, and extremely damaging, and you thinking otherwise is an opinion. You need to recognize that, and respect other people's opinions, especially since so many of us have had to tolerate your opinions on billboards for years and years.

When was the last time Atheism created hundreds of years worth of blind war...? Or any war, for that matter?

Never.

edit on 25-1-2012 by thegagefather because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

ah, the christopher hitchens fan boys choir... funny.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by btyoung21
Atheists having missionaries for their 'movement' essentially turns them into a religion. The idea of atheism is being free from a belief system or structure, being FREE. Having missionaries/grunts/slaves putting HUSTLER mags to counter Gideon Bibles are just counter productive.

I have to agree with the quoted statement above.

By posting "God is a imaginary friend." attacks the religious and therefore stoops to their level.

Atheists/agnostics claim that they are more logical and level-headed, that act says otherwise. Counter-propaganda can be more 'diplomatic'. They could've put something a lot less incendiary.

Wars are fought mostly for land and resources. Anyone who says that religion is the main reason has simply been fooled by the guise. War is waged under the false pretense of religion. Do you really believe Israel is out to reclaim the historical Promised Land (c'mon)?

Nothing can be gained by putting up a Cross or a Crescent in a conquered area, but you can take it's resources and manpower.

Note: I AM AN ATHEIST.

Good day.

edit on 25-1-2012 by btyoung21 because: Additional text

edit on 25-1-2012 by btyoung21 because: (no reason given)

Atheists don't care whether or not you think of them as a religion.

They just think belief in a supreme magical entity is silly.

Sure, war might be inevitable - but using "god" as an excuse just blinds and desensatizes us to the true reasons.

Believing doing it is right because god told you to makes you ignorant.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cobra.EXE

And this is an absolutely perfect example why so many people dislike modernized Christianity, and it is becoming a declining religion. You shove your beliefs down everyone's throat and look down on them as if they are somehow inferior to you. If they don't believe, they're automatically labeled as "miserable," "dark," and "lonely." Why? Because you need faith in something in order to find fulfillment in life? That tells me your true feelings of existence.

We're selfish and ignorant? What is it your bible says again?

Romans 14:1

Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters.

What else?

1 John 2:6

Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Do you understand that?

It's people like you who ruin an otherwise respectable religion. Absolutely pathetic. You're ignorant to the teachings of the religion you claim to uphold. I'm almost willing to bet you've never opened a bible in your life. If you have, you lack serious reading comprehension skills.
edit on 25-1-2012 by r3axion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

Yeah it's 2012 and you're blissfully unaware of everything that happens outside of this country. You're aware there's more than one religion, right?

Are you familiar with Muslim Jihad?
How about the Christian based religious wars constantly plaguing Africa?

Religion has always been a source for constant conflict. It's even apparent in this thread.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
God is an Imaginary Friend

Is this a statement of fact or just of.bias.

I think this Imaginary world, could use a Imaginary Friend. This is just a imaginary thought.

Burst your own bubble, and leave my dreams alone, the world would be a much sadder place without them.

A Atheist is only empty space between their ears, they admitted it, not I, I only repeated what they say...

Thirdly they are only guessing and have not a thing to substantiate what they think. While I have the whole dang Universe to prove my belief.

Deni Creation, Deni Intelligent design,

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

These billboards are primarily for other atheists since it's hard for believers to see outside that box, it's more about making a statement to other non-believers that they aren't alone.

I've always wanted to put up a billboard comparing God to Santa, since the two are so similar.

It would be socially acceptable to argue against and even ridicule an adult who believed in a supernatural man in a red suit who's punishes the wicked and rewards the good and has supernatural helpers called elves.

BUT a supernatural man in the sky on a throne who punishes the wicked and rewards the good and has helpers called angels, that's something "sacred" and apparently worth respecting. People are even described as "Salt of the Earth" and "Church Going" when people want to ESTABLISH their integrity or moral standing, it's really quite ridiculous.

edit on 23-1-2012 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

Actually, your statement above shows a typical lack of being able see outside the box, it's just a different box.

The statement "it's more about making a statement to other non-believers that they aren't alone." implies atheism is a cult in the sense that people follow it based on a joint belief which, if you like it or not, makes it a faith.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

The statement "it's more about making a statement to other non-believers that they aren't alone." implies atheism is a cult in the sense that people follow it based on a joint belief which, if you like it or not, makes it a faith.

Oh god lmao, so now atheism is a cult? Any people who share any set of beliefs at all, are a cult? People who like McDonald's as opposed to Burger King now fall under your definition of cult?

cult/kəlt/
Noun:
A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

I would say Christianity much more closely fits this mold than atheism....

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Athiest existed for 1000s of years now, and Believers also existed since the first Human according to the believers Adam and Eve.

According to Islamic faith (Shia and Sunni), we don't care what you believe, you show us your idea and we show our ideas without insulting each.

Wahabi Islam (Bin laden, Taliban, Sudi Arabia, and many part of the Islamic world) those represent only around 2% of the Muslims, but they control 60% of the Islamic wealth since the West is backing up these groups.

Those Wahabi believe that every single human who don't believe in God using their ways they should be beheaded or killed by using the most horrible way imaginable.

The Wahabi also beleive if they kill Humans who don't believe in God, they will have 72 virgins waiting for them, and if they killed a Muslim from the Shia / Sunni group and then Die, they will eat dinner with the Prophet/s

What Kind of twisted evil thoughts those Wahabi carry with them?

The point I am trying to make is that, the western world has been reading the wrong books about Islam, since those books are teaching the Wahabi Islamic ideas which doesn't represent only 1-2% of the Muslims.

If you want to depate about if God does exist or not, then try to find out from the Shia / Sunni methods and see what kind of prooves (scientific) that God does exist.

Thanks for reading.
SamHamYafithYam
edit on 25-1-2012 by SamHamYafithYam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If only all of them were the same as you.

There would pretty much be no wars or hate.

Sadly, 99% of them are all hate mongers hiding behind christ, allah, or some sort of god.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

You truly are ignorant. I'm no fan of organized religion but I will defend anyone when it comes to the truth. Remind who built the atom bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima & Nagasaki. How many atom bombs have now been detonated in our atmosphere (thousands). How many people have died of cancer as a result of these detonations?. How many bio weapons have been created & released from bio labs? And it's all just because some egotistical scientist can get the Nobel Peace Prize or simply make a name for themselves. One thing I do know is that it will be scientists and their egos that will eventually destroy this planet, not religious extremists.
The truth is that you're both as bad as each other and I look forward to a world where neither of you exist. I live in hope.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg

Originally posted by kingofmd
Really? Chairman Mao killed more people than all the years of the crusades combined plus the Christians murdered by the Catholic inquisition (which is conservatively estimated at 60 million). Add Stalin, Pol Pot, and Idi Amin in the mix, it's not looking good for athiesm. WW2, WW1, Vietnam, Korea, Civil, Revolutionary, 1812, Spanish American, French Indian wars all had nothing to do with religion. It's time to retire that mantra.

most religious wars were back when earths human population was much lower and now we have many more ways to kill each other more effectivly.so there wouldnt be as much deaths as these more modern examples.

religious wars have done far worse, wiping people and cultures off the face off the earth leaving no record of these people.

even if your examples are more destructive it's no excuse for killing in the name of god to be continuing in our day.

i dont hate religion and blame them for all the worlds woes but fighting in the name of religion is pure evil and unfortunatley a very effective recruiting tool.
edit on 24/1/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

The statement was "more wars have been fought, more blood has been shed", not per capita. As someone else expanded on page 4, athiests ideology has killed way more than even Islam's conquest of North Africa and Asia minor. Facts are stubborn things aren't they? Either alter that lame mantra, or stop saying it alltogether

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by r3axion

Oh god lmao, so now atheism is a cult? Any people who share any set of beliefs at all, are a cult? People who like McDonald's as opposed to Burger King now fall under your definition of cult?

cult/kəlt/
Noun:
A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

I would say Christianity much more closely fits this mold than atheism....

To your first point, you've proved my point exactly, and you've conveniently not included the comment by another poster that I was addressing. To put up billboards so 'other atheists know they are not alone' is implying lack of belief in a God makes you part of a following based on a joint belief - you can deride that notion, doesn't make you right.

As to your second point, technically all faith based followings are cults - you might want to check a dictionary. The American heritage dictionary includes the two subdefinitions amongst others -

2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.

a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.

Source

I'd suggest a lot of the comments on this thread and others show signs of the latter definition when talking about atheism.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

To your first point, you've proved my point exactly,

You made no point.

and you've conveniently not included the comment by another poster that I was addressing.

Why would I include that? I neither made the comment nor read the post you were replying to.

To put up billboards so 'other atheists know they are not alone' is implying lack of belief in a God makes you part of a following based on a joint belief - you can deride that notion, doesn't make you right.

Like I have pointed out, this logic is extremely faulty. What exactly are we "following" besides logical reasoning? We have no leader, holy figure, etc etc.

As to your second point, technically all faith based followings are cults - you might want to check a dictionary.

Did that, gave you a definition in which you only repeated.

The American heritage dictionary includes the two subdefinitions amongst others -

2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.

a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.

I fail to see how either of these definitions apply to the atheist community as a whole.

I'd suggest a lot of the comments on this thread and others show signs of the latter definition when talking about atheism.

None of those comments represent the entire atheist community. Everyone will have their "altered" perception, as is with Christianity.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

reply to post by wlord

Just remember: More wars have been fought, and more blood has been shed from religion, than atheism. That tells me religion will most certainly be the downfall for human kind. I dont mind if or what people believe in, but to quote the late, great John Lennon, "if your talkin bout destruction, dont you know that you can count me out?"

edit on 23-1-2012 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

This is true, religion has been a scourge to humankind. But to think that atheism will be mankind's savior is to be not too observant of the facts.

Remember that in the 20th century the most horrific atrocities against humankind, even greater than the Holocaust, which can arguably be stated to have been influenced by Occult teachings more than anything, as Hitler and his henchmen got a lot of their beliefs from occult teachings and atheistic teachings, and also the Churches of Christendom, because Hitler manipulated them to get the power he needed to perpetuate his crimes against humanity, and greater than the genocides in Rwanda where 80% of the population are Catholic, were in athesitic nations such as in Pol-Pot's Cambodia, and in Stalin's USSR.

Yes tens upon tens of millions of people were murdered by the states in atheistic USSR, Cambodia, China, etc. So to state that atheism, will be mankind's savior, well history has already shown that it will be FAR CRUELER to mankind than religion ever was. Perhaps even more cruel than when the Occultist Nazis gained power. Occultism, atheism, religion, they are all mankind's enemies.

The only people on earth today that do not practice warfare or kill each other or anyone else because of their teachings based on love of neighbor and brother are Jehovah's Witnesses. If everyone on earth practiced the true form of Christianity, no more war would exist, and their would be true peace. All other ways have been utter failures to humankind and will be done away with at the appointed time.
edit on 25-1-2012 by SubAce because: spelling

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join