It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Valley CA, Scientist Find Another Volcanic Ticking Time Bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

In California’s Death Valley, death is looking just a bit closer. Geologists have determined that the half-mile-wide Ubehebe Crater, formed by a prehistoric volcanic explosion, was created far more recently than previously thought—and that conditions for a sequel may exist today.

So this happened far more recently than previously thought. What else happened more recently than previously thought? I think that question deserves to be asked IMO.

Now, a team based at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory has used isotopes in rocks blown out of the crater to show that it formed just 800 years ago, around the year 1200. That geologic youth means it probably still has some vigor; moreover, the scientists think there is still enough groundwater and magma around for another eventual reaction.

So this leads me to wonder if dutchsinse may have been on to something a few months ago when he was claiming plumes in southern california. I know he does not get much respect here on ATS for some reason, but this may prove him to be on the right track perhaps? theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com... /

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
California has plenty of volcanoes and some pose a real hazard.

Mt. Lassen in northern California last erupted in May of 1915 and was the largest volcanic explosion until Mt. Saint Helens in 1980.

Cali is due for some rocking and rolling, and a volcano or two popping off wouldn't surprise me one bit.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
So... When is the world going to blow up? lol

Well this doesn't surprise me that much because wherever there are faults I can see there being large amounts of magma as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
So this leads me to wonder if dutchsinse may have been on to something a few months ago when he was claiming plumes in southern california. I know he does not get much respect here on ATS for some reason, but this may prove him to be on the right track perhaps?

A quick check reminds me that he was claiming plumes from the Pisgah crater.
The news article is about the Ubehebe crater.
Distance seems to be about 150 miles.
Do you think you can find a connection between the two that is more than just the word "crater"?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

It's Yellowstone that we have to worry about, that's called a super volcano. If Yellowstone blows it's theorized that it could be a life-ending event for all of us.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnificient

I agree, and I believe that if one volcano starts to go, others may follow suit.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Ah, Ubehebe Crater.
On a trip to Death Valley with the folks as a youngster, maybe age 11, we stopped by here. Even as a kid, I realized it had a subtle, sublime beauty.
Of course, I asked If I could go to the bottom. I'll never forget the look my dad gave me as he chuckled, "Sure, go for it." Woohoo, I went screaming down the scree to the bottom--it doesn't take but a few minutes (I don't know if the trail was there then--if it was, I apologize to the trail crew, I went straight down
)
Walking on the crater floor was trippy. It sounds hollow. Like the floor is only a few feet thick, and made of paper. It actually scared me into heading back up to the rim.
That crater sure is a lot bigger when looking up from the bottom, lol. And it doesn't help that the climbing is on steam-blasted, pulverized ball-bearings for rock. Two steps forward, two and a half steps back. It took me over 45 minutes to climb out of that hole! My dad had tears streaming down his cheeks he was laughing so hard.
Ah, good times....

Needless to say, if ever I saw that particular look in my father's eyes--I paused (slightly) before plunging ahead.

[/end sidetrack down memory lane]

ETA: The area is surrounded by faults, specifically one responsible for the Cottonwood Mountains. Wiki
Personally, I am more watchful for eruptive activity at Long Valley caldera, just up road.

edit on 1/23/2012 by Olivine because: meh

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Im not that familiar with this crater, but weren't the eruptions here mostly just steam explosions and nothing particularly dangerous (at long range, im sure up close its incredibly dangerous)? I need to be educated on this

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I was going to create a thread on this, but then found this one.

Found an article today, wow I never knew this about death valley. It makes you wonder what would happen if a large EQ triggered it setting off a chain reaction with Yellowstone and the New Madrid fault line. We would be toast!

But the worst part is that, according to researchers' observations, the next explosion may occur at any time. Magma has built up under the surface much faster and higher than previously thought. Apparently, we are in the middle of an eruption cycle. They have discovered that these explosions occur in clusters, and right now we're experiencing a brief calm before another storm.

gizmodo.com...
edit on 2-2-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

top topics

join