It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Ocean freshwater bulge detected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I think this is something we don't want to see change in any way.

BBC News

So to my understanding if the winds were to blow in the opposite direction the fresh water would be released. In being released possibly changing the fresh water current or even stopping it, which may cause an new ice age.

Thanks Rhain

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Interesting article. A lot of "ifs" in it, but certainly one to watch, now that they say "We now have the means to measure not only the ice thickness but also to monitor how the ocean under the ice is changing,"

If the fresh water were to enter the North Atlantic in large volumes, the concern would be that it might disturb the currents that have such a great influence on European weather patterns. These currents draw warm waters up from the tropics, maintaining milder temperatures in winter than would ordinarily be expected at northern European latitudes.

A potential Day After Tomorrow reality?? :-)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Could this be related to the hurricane that hit the northwest coast of Alaska this past fall? Reports said it was an enormous storm system, and it was certainly unusual for a hurricane to occur this far north.

This also reminds me of the movie "Day After Tomorrow." Isn't this what happened in that movie - melting arctic ice caused desalinization of ocean water, as well as changes in water temperatures and normal wind patterns?

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Were gonna need a lot bigger cans of de-icer....

It seems to happen fast enough to freeze mastadons with flowers and grass in their mouths and stomachs.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
There are many dangers which this poses. First is of course the threat to the stability of the North Atlantic Current or, Gulf Stream, which keeps the climate of Western and Northern Europe unusually warm for its latitude. The effects of the current also bring in more moisture to the continent and even moderate the temperatures along the North American east coast. It is heavily dependent upon a stability of water temperature, wind speed/direction, and water salinity; should any of these factors become too unbalanced the current would be in danger.

But not only do we have to worry about its threat to the NAC but we must also then worry about the Arctic Oscillation since it too is heavily dependent upon wind direction and sea surface temperature. Should this warm water up swell to the surface, especially for a prolonged period of time, it poses a threat to this oscillation which affects the climate of the entire Northern hemisphere above the Tropic of Cancer. I even wonder if this ‘freshwater bulge’ is already having an impact due to this: Winter 2012- Most Extreme Configuration of the Jet Stream Ever Recorded.

The sea surface temperatures also impact the ecosystem of the Arctic Ocean and northern Pacific and Atlantic. Should the winds which are blowing through the newly formed openings in the previously solid arctic ice to bring up the warm water it would deprive the sea creatures of nutrient rich waters. This would lead to serious harm for the fishing industry for Iceland, Canada, Alaska, Greenland, Norway, and Russia, not to mention the threats posed to Arctic natives who are dependent on the animals, which are in turn dependent on the sea animals.

edit on 1/23/2012 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I found this article with lots of info as to what might be comming down the pipe " When the PDO turned cold, most of the meteorological and climate community understood that the pattern was turning very similar the last time of the PDO reversal, the 1950s, and it was a matter of time before the global temperatures, which have leveled off, would start falling in the same herby jerky fashion they had risen when the PDO turned warm at the end of the 1970s. I am not going to rehash the sordid details of how the AGW crowd simply ignores the major drivers of a cyclical nature. We all know that. Nor am I going to question them as to why they believe a trace gas like CO2 (needed for life on the planet) with a specific gravity of 1.5 as compared to the atmospheres 1.0, was going to mix with air in a way to affect the earth’s temperatures. Instead I am going to drive home points I have been making since 2007 and are now dramatically validating." wattsupwiththat.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
That graph is over a very short timeframe.

Honestly, we need more data, but yes, it is certainly something to watch. And yes, everyone in Europe and North America especially should be worried.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MichaelYoung

Europeans should be worried about what exactly?
And on what timescale? 10, 100 or 1000 years?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I believe that we will, in spite of our contribution to global warming, see an ice age again. There is a reason that ice ages happen, and maybe if we can really figure out the trigger, and how long it takes, we will know when the next one is coming. I think it would be interesting to see the start of a new one in my life time, but doubt that it will happen.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Hollow Earthlings tunnel up!

No but seriously, I dont really understand where this bulge is coming from. Wind? That really makes no sense to me.

Seems more likely that there is an increasing amount of liquid water below the ice and thats pushing it up.

Any meteorologists or geologists out there who can answer?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
So Baisicly Europe and north America ( specifically uk and us ) might need to rethink some foreign policies ....
off topic a bit I admit but just hypothesising
What a fantastic future weapon against the west
It's well proven and documented that weather manipulation exists and has been used ( granted little proof of wind manipulation )
Should their enemy's develop such tech with one strike you kill masses destroy the country deny the resources the facilities deny use of anything on home turf and turn the survivors into displaced refugees running south

What a first strike !
Er who's the wests main rivals and opposition ? How would a mini ice age affect them ? Not as bad as the west that's for sure

Just a thought

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
A current shift is an eventuality as the Polar Ice Cap melting has picked up pace.

Look at the 2030 report:
downloads.climatescience.gov...
edit on 24-1-2012 by antonia because: wrong link

www.dni.gov...

I'm screwing up here. The second link is the 2030 report, most of this is 2020 now. Probably before then, the Ice Melt has become very fast.
edit on 24-1-2012 by antonia because: dude what the hell

top topics

join