It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laser used to cool semiconductor.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Laser used to cool semiconductor.

www.theregister.co.uk

Lasers heat things up, right? – unless you happen to hit upon the right resonance, in which case it seems you can use lasers to cool things down.

In an announcement that could be filed under either “counter-intuitive” or simply “wow”, scientists at Copenhagen University’s Niels Bohr institute have used a laser to cool a semiconductor membrane to -269°C.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
It seems like everyday we are finding out that the rules of how things work are not as defined as we might think they are. I like most people were under the impression that lasers heat and melt things not freeze them. Can anybody say "ice" ray. Im sure there is a super villain somewhere wringing his hands with glee to this news.

On a more serious not this is going to be huge for quantum computing. Being able to get super conductivity byt using lasers might be power hungry but at least you dont have to deal with the mess that is liquid hydrogen.

Can anybody else think about how this might be helpful?

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
wow that is really werid, but then ive always known that vibration plays a huge part in everything in our universe - but lasers carry energy thats absorbed by the target, knowing theres a specific frequency that can cool it amazes me!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Yeah its amazing what we discover daily, its another example of not taking what we think we know for granted. Its amazing how these guy problem solve and get around things. Turns out only the atoms moving towards the lazer get cooled so they had to find a way to give those atoms a so called "heads up" so that those and not the ones moving in the same direction of laser would be effected. Maybe its just me but i love nerdy sciency stuff

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Sciency stuff makes the world, bit by bit, make sense

Being philosophical or religous is one way to understand everything and why we are here, but science is the only one trying to prove it all piece by piece.

Great find.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

At last they will listen!

... and I'll be the one laughing when the see my freeze-ray!

Bwahh ha ha!

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

“counter-intuitive”

indeed.

Nice find with this interesting piece.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

At last they will listen!

... and I'll be the one laughing when the see my freeze-ray!

Bwahh ha ha!

lol i wonder what would happen if a freeze ray and a normal laser were to be fired at each other? frozen fire? or liquid ice lol

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Nothing would happen...obviously. It's still just a laser. The freezing happens because of the structure of the semiconducting membrane.
edit on 23-1-2012 by CLPrime because: super/semi

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Laser cooling on wiki

Not exactly breaking news......& unsure how it is alternative??

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
We found out everyday how little we really know about the things we thought we know a lot about. I love technology

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Nothing would happen...obviously. It's still just a laser. The freezing happens because of the structure of the semiconducting membrane.
edit on 23-1-2012 by CLPrime because: super/semi

LOL i know bro i was just making a joke. I did read the article

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Just making sure no one runs with the idea. I'd rather curtail the idiocy before it becomes an issue.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Just making sure no one runs with the idea. I'd rather curtail the idiocy before it becomes an issue.

LMAO you want to curtail the idiotic posts on ATS??? I admire your tenacity but surely you know that is an impossible task. Sorry i just found it hilarious given the comments i have read in other threads. I think you will find common sense is in very short supply in here and in the world in general.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Gotta do what I can. Besides, I'm bored...I haven't had a good physics question to answer around here in a couple days.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Wild quess here but maybe anti-mater

than maybe nothing

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Superconductor levitation will likely make a major leap with this new laser cooling. Easier to control height/speed of your levitating super conductor.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I wonder what the applications to Fusion would be?

new topics

top topics

join