It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest solar storm since 2005 pummels Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
A potent solar flare has unleashed the biggest radiation storm since 2005 and could disrupt some satellite communications in the polar regions, US space weather monitors said Monday.

The event started late Sunday with a moderate-sized solar flare that erupted right near the center of the Sun, said Doug Biesecker, a physicist with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Space Weather Prediction Center.

"The flare itself was nothing spectacular, but it sent off a very fast coronal mass ejection traveling four million miles per hour (6.4 million kilometers per hour)," he told AFP.
A rush of radiation in the form of solar protons already has begun bombarding the Earth and is likely to continue through Wednesday.

The radiation storm is the largest of its kind since 2005 but still ranks only a three on the scale of one to five, enough to be considered "strong" but not "severe," he added.

NOAA said its website the S3 ranking means "it could, e.g., cause isolated reboots of computers onboard Earth-orbiting satellites and interfere with polar radio communications."

Biesecker said that when it comes to radiation storms, the polar regions are affected most
For instance, the storm could spell disruptions to airline flights, oil operations, Arctic exploration and space satellites.

Night-sky viewers in Asia and Europe may be able to witness the aurora, or Northern Lights, late Tuesday as a result of the storm.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Been posted 7 times now....

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 23-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
Been posted 7 times now....

Sorry about that...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LOK31

No worries just a popular topic, just referring you to ongoing threads about the topic
edit on 23-1-2012 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LOK31

I just beat you to the punch and then I was told someone beat me to the punch too

Nevermind, he beat me to the punch to tell you ...yada yada

edit on 23-1-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

edit on 23-1-2012 by Swills because: double post, double your please, double your fun

new topics

top topics

join