It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

heavy pole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I am asking what is gravity?
Isaac Newton only said what gravity does Not what it is.
to measure some thing will not tell you it's secrets.

Centrifugal forces.
if you take your wait at the equator your
wait should be more at the poles?
because you Don't have Centrifugal forces
to push you out. But it is not?

you should find everything is a Lot heavier at the poles.
why is this Not so???

this is not something they would not
notice when they took a trip to the pole.
has anyone done any experiments on this?

The circumference of the Earth is about 40,000 kilometres or 24,900 miles.
dived that by 24 hours is 1666.666-
so on the equator you are travailing at about 1,666 kilometres an hour.
that is fast! you should fly off or be a lot heavier at the poles.
why is this not so?

no one really knows what gravity or magnetism is.
just what it can do to make an apple fall...

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

I hadn't even stopped to consider that one. Regardless, I've come to the conclusion that science just doesn't have to make sense if it doesn't want to. Cracked (yeah yeah, humor website - I know), had an enjoyable article here addressing some other aspects of gravity ("When You Look Closely, Gravity Stops Making Sense"), and a few other things.

Let's make a deal - you find me information on why the sun's corona is almost 2 million degrees fahrenheit hotter than its surface, and I'll get to finding an answer on your pole/equator gravity quandary.

Take care.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

After thinking about it. I would say the atmosphere evens out the planet's magnetism to create an even pressure through out the planet. The pressure from the atmosphere would be the same. Like a giant gyro sphere it balances itself...

edit on 23-1-2012 by Turkenstein because: added more

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

I'll give you more bone to chew on. Search for an article by Benjamin Kanarek [email protected]

It was published 9-22-03 on Rense. The title is "The Incredible Genius of Eric Laithwaite." I want to assume that it is true but if so, then it must be a case of NIV (Not Invented Here) and the assembled scientists didn't want to think much about it once they left the assembly. This is one of those luscious mysteries that the internet can present and even provide and answer for if one is willing to seek it out. For this mystery, I want it to stay a mystery.

BTW: It is about gravity and centrifugal force.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
noone really knows what gravity is. We know what it does, but just about everything else about it is a mystery. I personally think the next big "the Earth isnt flat" moment will come when we finally figure out all the secrets of gravity.

Untill we can manipulate it in a laboratory anyones guess is up for thought

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I've always believed gravity is the exact opposite of what "modern science" says it is. I think it's a repulsive force, not attractive, but the effects make it look like Mass A is pulling Mass B towards it. Gravity works over literally any distance, with its effects lessening with the square of the distance between the masses, so which is more likely: that a grain of sand somehow contains within it the power to reach out across lightyears and tug at another grain of sand, or that some external force is pushing them together?

Like Einstein knew, sometimes a thought experiment is the best way to illustrate a point. So picture yourself standing in a wind tunnel, on roller skates. 60 MPH winds are pushing you backwards, and then someone drops a big brick wall in front of you. The wind hitting you diminishes, doesn't it? There's less force on you. You don't roll backwards as much.

Now picture it as a bidirectional wind tunnel, with 60 MPH winds coming from in front of and behind you. You, stuck in the middle, would experience no movement from those winds. The forces are at equilibrium. Then someone drops the brick wall in front of you. The wind holding you back vanishes, and all that's left is the wind from behind you... and you, on your roller skates, go smashing into the brick wall as if it sucked you in. If you didn't know about wind, that's what you might assume: that, despite the fact that it's impossible, the wall is emitting some force that's pulling at you. But in fact, it's the exact opposite of that. Now.

You and the wall are both planets. The wind is the zero-point energy field of the universe. It spews out of every point in the universe in all directions, like a photon's wavefront. This energy interacts with matter, pushing it as it goes. If the forces from all directions are roughly the same, you're in "free fall." To you it seems like there's no force on you whatsoever... until someone drops a planet in front of you. After that, the planet is, like the brick wall, blocking some of the "wind" that you don't even know is there, and so the only conclusion you can come to is that the planet is pulling you towards it. Make sense?

This theory even accounts for so-called "dark matter." That is a fictional invention of science, an attempt to explain why the outer edges of galaxies rotate faster than they should. "There must be extra matter out there accelerating the outermost stars! Let's call it 'Dark Matter!'" Stupid scientists. If only they didn't have to get brainwashed by colleges' ill-conceived preconceptions, they might be able to see the truth.

But what about unifying the forces? The Grand Unified Fields Theory? Would it surprise you to know that all the fundamental forces are this same "pushing" the universe does, but at different scales? Down at the nuclear scale, protons and neutrons are being pushed together by the entire universe because there's no space between them. No wonder they call it the "strong nuclear force." So when you manage to split an atom, the energy that was holding the nucleus together gets partially released; multiply that by a few trillion plutonium atoms, and you have an atomic bomb.

Farther out, though, there is space between particles, and there's energy in that space pushing them apart. Hence the apparent weakness of the 'weak nuclear' and 'electromagnetic' forces. The EM force is what holds individual atoms in a molecule: valence, in other words. And once the molecules get farther apart, that same force - strong/weak nuclear and electromagnetic - becomes what we think of as gravity. It's all the same force, the "wind of the universe," but it weakens over distance. And by the way, there is a vast amount of space between your fingertip and the button it's pushing, or between the cylinders and piston rings in an engine, or between your drinking glass and the water in it, or between an electron and the nucleus it orbits. It's more than enough distance to allow the "wind" to get between them and counteract some of the wind that isn't between them. Selah.

So now that you know what gravity is, let's move on to why you don't weigh more at the poles. It's because that extra centrifugal force at the equator, combined with the fact that the earth is a flattened sphere (bigger around across the middle than across the poles), is only enough to decrease your weight by about 0.3%. You do weigh more at the poles, but it's such a tiny amount more that nobody could feel it. Here's a good explanation. Note that whether my theory of gravity is correct or not, that effect would look the same. Whether the brick wall is pulling or the wind tunnel is pushing, it feels like a 60 MPH wind. Whether the earth is pulling or the universe is pushing, it feels like a 9.8 meters per second per second acceleration.

As above, so below. Never forget that.

top topics

join