It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov hides events by bending light.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

[Soldiers could one day conduct covert operations in complete secrecy, now that Pentagon-backed physicists have figured out how to mask entire events by distorting light.

A team at Cornell University, with support from Darpa, the Pentagon’s out-there research arm, managed to hide an event for 40 picoseconds (those are trillionths of seconds, if you’re counting). They’ve published their groundbreaking research in this week’s edition of the journal Nature.

This is the first time that scientists have succeeded in masking an event, though research teams have in recent years made remarkable strides in cloaking objects. Researchers at the University of Texas, Dallas, last year harnessed the mirage effect to make objects vanish. And in 2010, physicists at the University of St. Andrews made leaps towards using metamaterials to trick human eyes into not seeing what was right in front of them.

Masking an object entails bending light around that object. If the light doesn’t actually hit an object, then that object won’t be visible to the human eye.
/ex]
Source and the rest of the article

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Old hat, everyones already read this weeks ago

lol

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Humint1

Yeah this has already been posted.
Sorry

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
So can you give me a good example on how this
is to be used and how beneficial it would be.
Like a "field example" if you will

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I think the invisible tanks are pretty cool. However, if this is what we're being allowed to know about it makes me wonder what the real secrets are.

top topics

join