It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Holes, Galaxies, Nebula....The Universe is a beautiful place

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Im going to attempt to blow your minds the way that look up at the night sky blows mine

this is the Hubble Ultra Deep Field

Within the Hubble Ultra Deep Field there are approximately 10,000 discrete objects. The total field of view represents only 1 ten millionth of the total sky. Most of these objects are very small and likely have masses in the range of 105 to 107 solar masses. Note the mass of the Milky Way galaxy is 1012 solar masses.

I for one think this is one of the best photographs of the Universe to ever come around, believed to hold over 10,000 Galaxies alone in the image, imagine that each of those 10,000+ galaxies houses about 100,000,000,000 stars and each star being home to a few planets whether they are Gas Giants or Terrestrials like our own Earth

This is Eta Carinae, a star that is full of mystery. believed to be more then 100x the mass of our own sun and believed that it should be going supernovae within the next million years or so which i believe is very soon for the age of a star and all

in 2005 Etat Carinae was found to actually be a binary star system

The Andromeda Galaxy "an island universe" this is the nearest spiral galaxy to our own, and many believe that even though it is much greater in size then our own Milky Way it is a good representation of what our galaxy looks like. like all galaxies Andromeda is believed to house a massive black hole in its central core.

astrophysicist speculate that Andromeda and our own Milky Way will collide in 4.5 billion years or so. sadly none of us will be around to see it in the night sky then which i believe will be magnificant

this is a picture of a 5,000 light year long jet that is being emitted from the center of galaxy M87. this jet is believed to be cause by a black hole. even though black holes have not been proven yet there is just to much evidence that they do exist. black holes might be one of the most powerful places in the universe where once something is trapped in the massive gravity field around it there is no escaping.

with this is believe that we as a race have found out a lot about the universe around us, but there is still so much out there that will mystify us for eons to come. so i ask you ATS community take some time out of your day if you can and just look up at the night sky and just gaze at the wonders that have been found and imagine the wonders that will forever remain hinden.

just think that in a galaxy light years away there could possibly be a being doing the exact same as you are

to qoute Carl Sagan

"We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Its impossible to comprehend the shear size of the Universe and all the things that make it up. I am an avid amateur astronomer and believe that most people would benefit a closer relationship with the skies above our own. Makes you think, makes you wonder, makes you happy to just see the silly constellations we are so familiar with. Even if those are within our own galaxy. Our lives stretch a blink of an eye in cosmic time and thus we create these false pretenses that we, as a species, as a life form have some special purpose. We do not. We are but the lottery of the universe, the inner workings of the complexity of the Universe. We are a miracle just being able to be conscious and intelligent. We see galaxies millions of years in the past, but yet we still have the need to kill one another. We live in a wacky universe, only thing to do is to live and let live.

Also, more Sagan is needed.

"We are star stuff contemplating star stuff."
edit on 23-1-2012 by AaronWilson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
As i sit here munching on bhuja mix, I'm sure somewhere far away in another galaxy, someone else is eating something similar.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
ive pondered to myself countless times espcially when im look at pictures of galaxies and just looking the the stars in them wondering if maybe one of those stars is home to a planet that is like earth and is home to either intelligent beings or even maybe home to the beginging of something like when the dinosaurs roamed the earth

NGC 4414 is 55,000 light years in diameter and is about 60 million light years away from us, could it be possible that there is an intelligent species there somewhere looking at a picture of our own milky way saying the same thing

it amazes me that people can say that we are alone in the universe when no one really knows for sure

new topics

top topics

join