It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you could leave a message for future generations what would you say?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
What will the distant future world be like?

There are a host of different places in the world where the peoples of the past have left behind clues to their existence. The pyramids, stonehenge etc. seem to be an effort to tell the future that "Kilroy was here." These monuments leave behind a puzzle of sorts, attracting us to investigate the messages left behind by the people who built them. Some cultures have left messages encrypted in songs and stories, knowing that the telling of these stories will pass through the generations retaining the message for future generations.

If you look around at what we think of as permanent structures you will find that they are beginning to crumble even from the moment they are built. Our world is temporary at best. Steel and concrete tend to rust and fall apart much sooner than we would like to believe. The tallest building today will not last much longer than a hundred years or so. Books and paper will not last either unless they are made of very good quality and special care is taken to preserve them. What have we created with current civilization that will last for millennia other than some of the pollutions we have left laying around? What will the legacy of our time be?

It seems that now would be a good time to try and build some sort of an ark, that may be true. As well it may be a good idea to try and leave a message for those who are left behind.

What would be the best template or technology for a message like this? What would be the best, or most important message? Are there any technologies that we have that would propel a good message far into the future? I have heard that we could not build a pyramid with current technologies. Would it be possible to build something of equal value or better, and how would we build it? Should it be an ark of knowledge with the tools to decipher it, something to tell our story and pass down the lessons we have learned? Something like a head stone that may be visited and looked into by future generations or maybe species from our distant future or another planet. Would it be better to put it on the moon as opposed to earth?

Jokes welcomed, thought provoking ideas encouraged please.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

edit on 23-1-2012 by trustnothing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Genetic progression matters most not wars or politics. Find a way to work as a unit or family to overcome the species ills dont try to fight or it will cause you to develope technologies that may kill everyone.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

If you could leave a message for future generations what would you say

"Nothing is as it seems."
I think that pretty much sums everything up ... politics, history, metaphysics, religion, science .. everything.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

-- The names will change, but the agenda always stays the same... you are a slave, accept it. --

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
"Good luck!"
They will really need it. Structures and civilisations might be temporary, but lack of natural resources is pretty permanent.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Quauhtli

we knew, we knew about it but did nothing. it was'nt our fault,
blame the incumbents in charge, for they wouldnt listen....

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
My answer to the future:
1-Sorry for the mess we left, we were ignorant and didn't know what we had so we didn't take care of it until it was too late.
2- Wear sunblock

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Vote Ron Paul?

Don't trust big Government?

Beware TPTB!

Sorry for the mess we were in a hurry.

Okay, okay, that's great, but what I'm interested in is how would we go about leaving behind a message that would survive into the distant future? What would be the best method, material, or message be? Any interesting ideas out there?
edit on 23-1-2012 by Quauhtli because: add

edit on 23-1-2012 by Quauhtli because: add

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Believe in yourself
because if you dont believe in yourself how are others supposed to be able to believe in you

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I read a post here about graphene, not sure how long it would last, but seems pretty tough stuff.

Message: If you are reading this, either no one will see it, or we finally got rid of the dang powers that be.
If this message is deemed to be "forgotten" or "Lost" I feel for you and your life, for slavery still exists

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

^^^^^^^
This is one of the only people in this thread that will provide a good answer.

What would I say? What have I said already. I have so much faith in the future that I do believe all of our internet messages will be archived and available thousands of years from now. What can I say, outrageous amounts of optimism flows through my veins.

But if you had to force me to say one thing, if our technology and culture was not passed on and somehow destroyed, the one important thing would be:

"Everyone is a mirror of self. Our science and our spirituality almost merged to prove this fact. We grew up, hundreds of generations believing the opposite was true. We grew selfish, we grew hateful, and we grew wrong. We made our mistakes, and we made them so you don't have to. I can't begin to recount all of the atrocities that we visited upon one another, or begin the count the tears that burned the cheeks of every man, woman, and child. All I can tell you is that we made our mistakes, and in the end, we almost saw the way. We almost saw the path to true understanding. Everything in this universe, reality, and perception is connected. My will = Thy will. Be kind to one another, as you are to yourself. Do not associate the actions of others with the person themselves, that will only lead to hate. Instead, learn to love.You will find the love within your hearts and spirits, and then you will find the love within the science and mathematics; the Quantum Zero Effect and Fibonacci sequence will help open more hearts(insert golden ratio and the Fibonacci sequence up to 50 digits in many types of characters here). Find love in this message, please. Most of all, find love within your reflection. It starts there.

I'm sorry. We're sorry. We all sincerely wish that we could leave behind more. There was enough time. We simply didn't manage it properly. We made the mistakes. Now, you, avoid them. Love is understanding. Have understanding in all things."

(Have this in all known written languages and means of communication. Ingrained in lasting rock structures above ground. Kept safe in easy to open underground vaults. Etched in various places upon the ocean floor. Uploaded into a few permanent satellites)
edit on 23-1-2012 by TheOneElectric because: edit and reasoning

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

TOE,

Nice, thank you for your input, it is very good advice for those who have not yet come.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
You can do anything you put your mind to. I'll add further that there will be those who oppose you, try and bring you down, don't let it discourage you. Take it and use that as motivation because its YOUR life. Nobody else's opinion can affect your goals. The hurdles will be great and I'm sorry you have to deal with them, but hurdles can be knocked over on your way to the goal and it will make you better in the long run.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I would say, I am sorry.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

"We are humbled and ashamed... My generation and those immediately before and after mine were mostly self-aggrandizing idiots that cared little about each other and almost nothing for this beautiful planet.

Forgive them - for they knew not what they were doing.

If you can read this message, then there is hope, for it means this message has found an audience; and consequently - some of you have survived.

Learn from our mistakes - there were plenty.

You have inherited the Earth, though her condition by which we have bequeathed her to you is, admittedly abominable. Make her whole and healthy again and live an altruistic life, in harmony with nature.

By doing so, your own succeeding generations will have less difficulty than you have had due to our own miserable failures in the present.

Think ecologically. Manage your precious resources wisely. Make peace, not war. Explore the cosmos and spread humanity's seed far and wide to ensure your continued survival. But never forget your mother, Earth, who gave you life, and is a genuine, rare jewel in the galaxy.

The Earth is your legacy. The heavens are your destiny. That is as it should be..."

edit on 1/23/2012 by Outrageo because: ⌡÷↓⌡÷≈⌠±≥°∙√■

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Fire walking.
Every day......

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Go with your gut feelings and listen to no other.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I would leave this video as a testament to the times we live in.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I am sorry that we turned paradise into a toxic waste dump. We took a beautiful planet and knowingly threw our trash all over it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join