Too scared to sleep.

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Hi guys. I don't really know what anyone can do to help but I thought maybe just talking would help. So here goes.

At approx 3.30am this morning there was an arson attack on the block of flats that I live in. The sheds by our back door to be precise. It has caused extensive damage to most of the sheds with many of us losing almost all our possesions in them such as childrens bikes etc My partner is a DJ and some of his equipment is stored in them so that is a huge financial loss in itself. But that is not the real issue.
The sheds are less than 3ft from the rear of our building so the flames have done serious damage to the windows etc and the fire itself was so close to the doors that we were essentially trapped. There is no other escape route in this block.
Thankfully a neighbour from a nearby block spotted the fire and raised the alarm by screaming at our windows and pressing all the door buzzers on the other side so that we were awoken and able to make an escape before our route was completely blocked.

The thing is, it's only now that the reality is sinking in. There are 3 of us with young families (including me), I am also 18weeks pregnant with my 3rd and there are 2 elderly residents in these flats. We were so close to utter tragedy and it has frightened me. I can't settle tonight now because everytime I try I have this panic that the arsonists will return and that this time we won't be so lucky. I mean, the windows are already damaged for a start which means another fire would blow them completely and that would be it, game over.
I did not think I would be so psychologically affected by this. I don't know what to do but I can't talk to anyone because I don't want to seem dramatic.

So yeah, I don't imagine anyone can really help but I just needed to get this out.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Buy extra smoke detectors and stick them all around the outside of your residence. Smoke and heat rises so detectors about 7-10FT high should go off even if outdoors.
If the arsonists are causing fires externally, you'll get a jump on the problem with outdoor detectors. Also see if you and your neighbors can set up surveillance cameras around that area.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
its understandable to be concerned and fearfull after something like this happening
but you should try look at it this way the odds of this event happening again are slim as im sure the police would be aware and watching for any activity of this nature happening again

the only advice i can offer on this is try and relax i know thats easy for me to say but try find something to take your mind off the negative thoughts and hopefully you will manage to get some well earned rest after this horrible event

sorry my answer is not much use but my thoughts go out to you and your neighbours after this horrible event

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ScorpioRising

Hi Scorpio - I'm very sorry for the fright.

I'd like to say that fear itself doesn't really do any of us any good - letting it be a motivator to get prepared and take control of the situation is the correct way to handle it.

JibbyJedi's provided some good thoughts, and I would also like to add a suggestion for escape ladders - these are usually collapsible or chain-link, etc., and you can keep them by windows on various sides of your building to always have a way out - if you have windows you're able to fit through, at least.

Look for ways to make your place safe, learn effective strategies for battling or escaping from a fire, and be aware of all your options. Education and preparedness is key. If you don't HAVE any other options, I'd strongly suggest looking for a move to someplace with more safety options built-in.

God bless, and stay safe out there.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I sympathize with your situation it's not easy to live with potential serious threats especially if you have more than yourself to worry about.
I live on a estate and keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen just in case as my father would say arson attacks are a real hazard don't have flammable materials near your front door i.e curtains , piles of post , furnishings.
Last week the neighbor next door but one was out in the street baby in arms screaming about a man with a gun i did the as she screamed and contacted the police as per her wish's. No-one was hurt and the police recovered a high powered crossbow rifle my neighbor moved the next day un-furtunately for me i wont be moving and it was pretty obvious i was the one who contacted the police and i found a large rusty pair of scissors by my bin outside my door today it's a dangerous world.
I recommend you obtain a fire extinguisher or two.
You could also mount an infrared sensor and wire it to a alarm.
If you are renting you could speak to your landlord or contact your local member of parliament or possibly contact the local fire service or maybe environmental health in regard to a risk assessment.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

That is a good idea. This is a council owned building so I'm hoping the Fire Brigade raise some serious issues with them over our safety. I know us residents will be.

There were 2 other arson attacks in nearby areas in the space of few hours so the police are investigating a link. One was a car and the other one was some garages. Ours was the only residential attack this morning.

Since New Years Eve there have been at least 10 arson attacks in our town including a friends friend whose house was attacked with her and the kids inside so someone has got a serious liking for fire. The police are unsure at the moment if it is a bunch of kids/teens (thats what they are like here and why we want to leave) or if it is someone who is genuinely mental. The latter is slightly more terrifying.

The officer we spoke to has said that they suspect whoever is doing it is doing it for the thrill of the chase. Which doesn't help alleviate any fears of it happening again. They will be aware of just how much carnage could have been caused this time and may want to push it that step further.

I suppose I can't stay awake for ever though and if something did happen I'd be useless if I haven't slept so I know I NEED to find a way to deal with it.

As I said, I wasn't really expecting anyone to be able to help as it's something in my own mind that has to be resolved but just letting some of the fear out has helped slightly.
Thank you for taking the time to respond though guys, I love ATS. Such a caring place

ETA: Thank you for all the tips guys, I shall get on it asap.
edit on 23-1-2012 by ScorpioRising because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I don't know what to say, except that my heart goes out to you and all those who have to live in conditions where their safety is jeopardized, and it makes it especially worrisome when you have small children to consider.

I just want to cry for you right now, and I wish I could give you a hug, or win a lottery, so I could send you enough money to get out of there... or better yet, that you could win a lottery.

It's easy to say , don't have fear, but when you love your children, and have no choices as to what where you live, and what others around you are doing.. it can be so stressful.

I will suggest to you the only thing I think may help.. prayer. Ask God for His protection, through the name of Jesus...also ask Him to somehow put a stop to these fires.

Pray, hope, have faith in love and mercy, and know that this life can be full of suffering because of sin .. but it is only a small stepping stone in the grand scheme of eternity, and perseverance in the goodness of faith ,hope, and love will have its true rewards .

May God keep you in His love, and mercy.. and may your guardian angel help you find peace and comfort in a very troubling world...and help you share it with those who are dear to your heart.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Thank-you very much for your words xx

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I have a link to some pictures I took of the aftermath if anyone is interested. It is a facebook album but it is set to public so you should be able to view the pics.

Pics

Also, update on the suspect. A person was seen running from the scene as police arrived. The police were a good 5 minutes behind the fire brigade and the fire would have been burning for at least 10-15 mins before that so this means whoever started it, stayed to watch. Which I find quite chilling.
The people of this town are making an concerted effort to help find him and bring him to justice before he ends up killing someone. It appears this is not just teens but a genuine nutter.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Sorry to hear of your plight and the others hope by now things have calmed a little for you and your partner and elderly neighbors. Is there any agency that can help you and the other folks into a different place. Were there any cameras around the area even sometimes an ATM machine's camera has a pretty wide angle to it. Hopefully the police are checking in with you and neighbors and keeping you updated. Sorry about the equipment hopefully you had that insured.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Hi guys, just a very late update. (sorry).
The perpetrator was never found. Eventually after only 3-4 months the police 'closed' the investigation. They said lack of evidence was the reason but if more came to light they would reopen it.
Well, the attacks stopped for a while and then approx 1 month after the case was filed away they started again. Same thing, residential properties mostly. Now I don't know about you but that screams to me that it is someone who KNOWS what is going on with the police. The attacks lasted a short while then stopped, again, when the police reopened the investigation.
They still have not caught anyone though. It's all very suspicious.

Some good news though, the dj equipment survived despite being subjected to intense heat and smoke and then being drowned with water! Shows the quality of these old kits as a newer one would probably have been destroyed.

The council have still not provided us with safety equipment so that is something we will have to do when we can afford it. For now we just have a very well rehearsed emergency plan that all of us, kids included, have ingrained into our minds. Some sense of security in that I guess

new topics
top topics

join

Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant
read more: Ora.TV's Off The Grid with Jesse Ventura and AboveTopSecret.com Partner Up to Stay Vigilant