It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Strange Sounds, The Dogon, Sirius B and The Bullroarer.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

If you read the Book of Enoch, it seems to paint the picture that various fallen angels or stars taught certain humans secret or technologically advanced information about heaven and earth.

I can't remember the site, but I read somewhere that Mali and Sudan contain remnants of the lost tribes of Israel who had once lived in Egypt. Maybe they picked up the information along their ancient travels.

Book of Enoch

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

The sound of the bullroarer is somewhat similar to a didgeridoo. didjiman.com... Or even the sound a conch shell makes. www.hawaiianceremonies.com... Just food for thought.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon
reply to post by Starchild23

Thank you, I thought the idea was weird enough to make a thread. I'm glad you found something intriguing in there. What did you think of the actual bullroarer noise?

X.

Maybe the Dogon heard noises like the ones that are being recorded today and the only way they could reproduce the sound was to make the bullroarer thingy?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bottleslingguy

Maybe the Dogon heard noises like the ones that are being recorded today and the only way they could reproduce the sound was to make the bullroarer thingy?

You got it. I think that they would probably say as much themselves. Or at least they are trying to represent the sounds heard in the distant past.

X.
edit on 24-1-2012 by Xoanon because: /

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll
If I recall correctly the being that supposedly taught the Sumerians civilization come up out of the sea as well?

and his symbol was the water bearer or Aquarius and we are leaving the time of Pisces and entering the age of Aquarius. Or it could be one of his sons.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Thanks to all posters who have made this a really interesting and popular thread.

I would like to post the abstract from anthropologist Bethe Hagen's article, Timbre of the Spheres,

Abstract

A paradigm of Breath that integrates voluminous research on bullroarers and magic wheels is developed using Puterbaugh's (1999) definition of timbre within sonopoietic space -an articulated, individually experienced, culturally situated environmental dynamic. These two whirling aerophone's have appeared worldwide since the Paleolithic in similar (though not identical) artistic, narrative and magico-mythological contexts within which initiation, weather modification, social justice, consciousness alteration, and other social necessities were enacted. Invoking Edinger's (1999) archetypal analysis, their timbre is Breath, not merely metaphor, and synonymous with the all-encompassing mysteries of metamorphosis-birth, growth, fertility, sexuality, excretion, decay, death, and rebirth. Traditionally, the instruments themselves were community service providers that mediated this spiraling, transformative energy within a supportive group context. Bullroarers especially were much-loved toys among boys and men, their timbre a refrain that triggered a socially-sanctioned time-out from the opposite sex and a welcome break from the ordinary. Life within this sonopoietic sphere brought ever more subtle, highly personalized experiences and understandings of social and mystical dimensions of ecstasy, fear, lust, pain, deprivation, justice, and oneness of body-in-cosmos. An inherently interdisciplinary geometric model of the cosmos in Plato's Timaeus is used to extend this research into Archaeoastronomy and the emerging field of World History.

missionignition.net...

And the Discordian word-o'-the-day is:

Sonopoietic

In addition to the chromatic space of color, we live in the sonopoietic space of sound. Inspired by Maturana and Varela’s concept of autopoiesis, I coined the term sonopoiesis by combining the Greek sono- (sound) and poiesis (creation, production). Sonopoietic space is the space of listening that we create through the act of listening to sound. Just as we create and live in visually constructed spaces, we similarly create sonically constructed spaces. These spaces are customized by us for specific purposes and necessarily bear our imprint. We are coupled to our environment and change our responses to sounds as we interact with them.

Timbre cannot exist in physical space. The timbres contained in our space of listening are created by our interaction with the environment. For example, the nerve firings along the auditory pathway are simultaneously excited by sound waves from the physical world and other nerve firings originating from different portions of the brain. Maturana and Varela make a similar case for vision, stating that “... our experience is moored to our structure in a binding way. We do not see the space of the world; we live our field of vision. We do not see the colors of the world; we live our chromatic space” (Maturana and Varela 1987, p. 23).

John Puterbaugh, 1999
www.music.princeton.edu...
(Page 23 no less)

So now we know that we have the language to describe the emotional reaction that people have to the Strange Sound, and especially to the bullroarer and I am sure other instruments like the didgeredoo or shakuhachi.

We exist together with the sound in Puterbaugh's Sonopoietic Space, the interaction between us and the Sound (any sound) produces a third thing that can not be had by either alone; timbre.

Pretty neato.

X.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Wow.....great thread!!!!! Just about every time i get a chance to visit ATS i am amazed by what is being discussed.

reply to post by txjab512

This is exactly what i was thing regarding the Australian Aboriginies (Koori - as they like to be known). While the didgeredoo is a different sound to the Bullroarer, it would make perfect sense that they were trying to emulate that exact sound.

Growing up reading and hearing about the "Dreamtime" stories, now reading this post, puts some of these stories into perspective.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Hagen's last paragraph you quoted was especially poignant to me. I think it is very important to realize that one of the important things of living is to experience the universe through a particular filter that is our point of view. Like he said, we don't experience the visual world, we experience our field of view, and so forth.

God this universe we live in is so awesome

Anyways, I feel like the distribution of bullroarers in such similar social contexts throughout the globe as well as stories of "aquatic" aliens sharing civilization with humanity certainly cements in my mind the idea that we may be dealing with more fact than myth

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

God this universe we live in is so awesome

I absolutely could not agree with you more. Thank you for your well written and well thought out contributions to this thread, Mkoll.

X.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Very well put together!!!! I am copmletely intrigued and find the logic easy to follow.
Thank You

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by EyezOpen

I hope that 2012 is the year of their return!

Enough is enough!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DanielET

Enough is enough!

I believe they are here already in Human Incarnation/form but I know no one believes it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DanielET

I certainly hope an externality such as these guys greatly helps to catalyze change in our race but I think it is certainly the safe bet to rely on ourselves. It has been thousands of years since we last saw them and, assuming they promised to return on 12/21/12, who can say for sure that they will be able to make good on that promise? They are mortals, just as us, and they are likely just as fallible.

That said, plan for the worst and hope for the best

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
As I just now finished reading through these first four pages, I just want it to keep going.
I dig everyone's sense of intrigue toward this subject.

I'm looking forward to pressing on...

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

I would. sorry for the one liner.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DanielET

I believe they've been visiting more and more recently. More sightings on mainstream media outlets etc. and all over the place.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Originally posted by DanielET

Enough is enough!

I believe they are here already in Human Incarnation/form but I know no one believes it.

Could you elaborate on that? I sort of believe it to given my own research and Id love to hear your opinion.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
This is very interesting thread and it´s very nice to read so intelligent discussion withouth riddiculing and namecalling for those who think differently

I just wanted to add one thread that has interested me, because I believe that little children can know sertain things better. Their minds are not yet ruined by paranoias and theories, they just say how they think it is: Conversation with a 6 year old
Here the kid is saying, that the sounds are messages from the visitors in the sky.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Excellent theory OP. Great job on lining those two up for us. The Dogon's have always interested me. Ever since my first years in college, I've been interested more and more about them. In fact, I'm currently on the hunt for an authentic Dogon tribal mask...something to adorn one of my walls and talk to friends about. No one seems to know they exist and even when people do acknowledge them, without something tangible they can touch, most people won't relate a story to their physical world...thus my wall needing a mask.

Anyhow, to touch on the one post including the "Chakra man" or however you spell that cockamamie garble, he's condescending...most anyone who speaks about any religion or belief in a condescending way, is incorrect; Either in their theology, or in their bias, or in the facts. They come off that way to seem 'right'. Anyway, I got past that and kept watching...until he said that the 22nd of November is the most important day of the year...because "that's the day our Sun lines up with the center of the Milky Way galaxy...it does this every year."

Wrong. LOL. There lies the difference between astrology and astronomy. One has facts, the other has cockamamie garble.

As for the Dogon though....again, great post. If those same beings return who spoke to the Dogon...I'll have to build a pool so I can enjoy some time learning from them.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by gavron

Gavron!
Thank you so much for that...hope it didn't take you too much time searching for it.
Rainbows
Jane

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join