It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S Troops fire at a crowd, 10 killed.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:33 AM
link   
story.news.yahoo.com.../afp/20030415/wl_mideast_afp/iraq_war_us_mosul_030415125129

MOSUL, Iraq (AFP) - At least 10 people were killed and scores wounded in shooting in Mosul, a hospital doctor said, as other witnesses alleged US troops had opened fire.

"There are perhaps 100 wounded and 10 to 12 dead" following the shooting near the local government offices in a central square, Dr Ayad al-Ramadhani said Tuesday at the emergency department of the city hospital.

Three witnesses questioned by AFP and casualties who spoke to hospital staff said US troops had fired on the crowd which was becoming increasingly hostile towards the city's new governor, Mashaan al-Juburi, as he was making a pro-US speech.

An AFP journalist saw a wrecked car in the square and ambulances ferrying wounded people to hospital, while a US aircraft flew over the northern Iraqi city at very low altitude.

US forces in Mosul refused to comment to AFP, and at US Central Command's war headquarters in Qatar Brigadier General Vincent Brooks told a press briefing he had seen no military reports of the incident and could not confirm it.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Now that's a detailed story.

They don't even confirm it. It's just a possiblity. Who knows, could be regular Iraqi citizens shooting, or the people could have attacked the troops, hard to tell.

dom

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:43 AM
link   
BBC News have reported it on air, no news article on their site yet. Only a matter of time I'm sure.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I doubt American troops would open fire for no reason. Somthing happened, can't wait to find out what. Might get some more answers.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
the reason joehayner ? perhaps 19 year old boys got nervous .. isnt that a good reason ?

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Well did you read the article?

It says there was a "hostile crowd"

Sure, I'll believe that when I believe a such thing as "friendly fire" exists.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Well then the troops had right to protect themselves.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Yea, your right, they had a right to protect themselves only the crowd wasnt armed, they were probably just protesting.

Reminds me of the Boston Massacre

dom

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
But if this did happen, doesn't that help people who are claiming that this is an occupation not a liberation?

(Sorry for jumping the gun before we know the facts, but I've lost count of the number of "chemical weapons found" discussions we've had, so I don't feel so bad about it)

Of course, it's possible that this can be a liberation *and* an occupation.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 10:55 AM
link   
how about "riot control" .. is that a foreign word to GI's vocabulary ??

seems we really need the UN in Baghdad

[Edited on 15-4-2003 by Mokuhadzushi]

dom

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 11:03 AM
link   
From Al-Jazeera -

"At least 10 people were shot dead and scores of others wounded when US forces opened fire on a crowd that had gathered to listen to a US-appointed local governor in the northern Iraqi town of Mosul on Tuesday.

According to eye-witnesses, US marines fired when the crowd noisily interrupted the governors speech, which they thought was pro-US. US military sources however said that its troops had come under fire and they had only fired back in response."

english.aljazeera.net...

The BBC have said that the US soldiers claim they came under attack, and didn't shoot at any civilians. Wow, scores of militia in a protest... doesn't sound very likely to me. One or two perhaps, but I can't imagine that all those injured were miltiamen.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Dom,
Remember Bloody Sunday?

Could be similar.

dom

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Yeah, I'd had the same thought. Although I think the more heinous shootings there were claimed to be from soldiers who knew they weren't being shot at (personally I think it's more likely that they thought they were under attack, but some of the evidence to the contrary seems believable).

Note that the UK army is in all kinds of trouble about that, still, and Bloody Sunday succeeded in recruiting a massively increased number of people to the provisional IRA.

So working on that basis, this isn't very good for the US.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It said hostile crowd remember...

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Sounds to me like the whole crowd came under fire soldiers and all from another building. I would see where it could get confusing when the soldiers began returning fire. We'll have to see who fired the rounds that hit civilians. Most likely, it was the non-Iraqi terrorist groups that "aren't in Iraq" that the US troops have been fighting for the last few days. So, lets see if it was the soldiers who fired at them or terrorists from across the street.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   
US Marines are supposed to be disciplined and trained. Im retiring my "nervous boy" theory and replace it with "psychotic killer" theory. Looks like they shot into the crowd because the crowd didnt think the way they wanted it to think. And it wasnt a stray bullet so there must have been an order. The whole thing was an intelligence/propaganda operation so it must have been a very high ranking officer.

That man ought to be brought before international justice.

[Edited on 15-4-2003 by Mokuhadzushi]

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 01:38 PM
link   
You assume too much. I'd be scared as hell if I were in Iraq right now. You could be shot dead any moment, by anyone. It's hard to tell the difference between an extreamest and a normal civilian.

I really doubt it was an order to fire. If anything, the commander was telling them to cease fire.

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think YOU assume too much !

That ordeal made more than 100 victims .. how many bullets must that be ?!? It cant be stray fire ...

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I didn't say it was stray fire. Marines are taught not to shoot at random targets. I'm just saying it could be anything, but I doubt they would be shooting at civilians for no reason. They're not monsters. We look bad enough to the world right now, do we really need to be shooting up innocent people for fun?

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
information here...to get worked up about...

From what I've seen, the source is one solitary Arab doctor....

Maybe I haven't seen some recent links today, but sounds like a jump to conclusion here....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join